DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Listening but not hearing

Go down 
+4
rickimouse
swiss_tiger
TG
laprimamirala
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Listening but not hearing Empty
PostSubject: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 7:41 am

Six degrees of frustration
Tigers fall to 0-6 as batting woes continue; defense also goes off the rails as White Sox complete three-game sweep.

Lynn Henning / The Detroit News
DETROIT -- It's no longer just an issue of a losing streak, which is horrid enough for a Tigers team that is 0-6 heading to Boston. It's no longer a matter of hitting, although there has been precious little of that.

Sunday night, in view of an ESPN national audience that probably also wonders what's going on in Detroit, the Tigers were so unraveled they seemed disoriented during a 13-2 drubbing by the White Sox at Comerica Park.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland met with his team afterward, but he did not spit lightning bolts, in contrast to a legendary blowup two years ago that set the tone for a 2006 World Series season.

"Right now, we just look like a bad ballclub," Leyland said, calmly, as he sat in his office following an all-out collapse by the Tigers.

"I'm not mad at anyone out there. Personally, I'm embarrassed. I don't sugarcoat anything, but I'm not gonna rip the team, either. I don't think that's an issue right now.

"There are too many professionals who know what's going on. I think they understand that.

"I'm personally embarrassed, and I would hope they are, too. They know we've been (awful). I can put on a big show, or the players can have a meeting, and it would read good in the paper. But it's all eyewash."

The Tigers have been swept in each of their three-game series against the Royals and the White Sox. A team that was supposed to have competed out of the gate for a playoff ticket has looked during the past week as if it is contending for the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2009.

Offense, again, was the Tigers' great failing Sunday night. The Tigers managed nine hits, seven of them singles. They grounded into five double plays.

But blaming the hitters was at least a tougher call Sunday, given the infield defense was not sharp, nor was Yorman Bazardo's ninth-inning relief effort (one inning, four runs, four hits, two walks) anything kids under the age of 18 should have been watching.

Although the White Sox made three errors, Carlos Guillen had the night's big miscue. He dropped a throw from Miguel Cabrera that helped the White Sox to a six-run sixth inning in which five of the runs were unearned.

Justin Verlander paid much of the price Sunday. He allowed nine runs, four earned, in a 5 2/3 -inning outing that was eminently better than the boxscore implied.

Verlander snapped back from Nick Swisher's home run on the second pitch of the night. He guided the Tigers into the fifth with a 1-1 tie when things fell apart.

The White Sox got a pair of runs in the fifth, helped by a potential double-play ground ball Guillen missed. An inning later, disaster arrived, set in motion by a throw from Cabrera on a ground ball off the bat of Paul Konerko. Guillen conceded he missed the throw. Six runs followed.

"I have no problem with that," said Leyland, who understands mistakes will happen. It's the other malfunctions on a supposedly elite baseball team that had the manager shaken Sunday.

"I think we're listening, but I don't think we're hearing," Leyland said, repeating words he said to his team.

"It's a manager's responsibility to have the team prepared," he said. "We're just not executing. We're not going out there with a hungry, determined approach."

Detroit's offense was again so limp that reserve infielder Ramon Santiago, filling in for Placido Polanco (stiff back), joined Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen as Detroit's hitting stalwarts Sunday. Each had two hits, with Santiago and Guillen getting Detroit's only extra-base hits of the night, both doubles.

For the Tigers, it is on to Boston. For a team that has every reason to wonder when it will win its first game of the season, today at least offers a respite: no game.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 8:38 am

Crying or Very sad Frown At least we can't lose today.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 8:39 am

thank U God!
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 9:22 am

TigersGirl wrote:
Crying or Very sad Frown At least we can't lose today.

That's small comfort. But hey, i take what i can get. Frown
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 9:52 am

Like I've been reading, it's a bunch of highly paid superstars who are good in their own right but lousy playing together!
Back to top Go down
rickimouse
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
rickimouse

Female
Number of posts : 394
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Pudge, Clete Thomas, Granderson...
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 10:04 am

Who is this team and what have you done with my Tigers?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickireed
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 10:07 am

Even in Spring Training, many times it was our A or AA players who did the scoring...

And what happened to Pudges bat?? He ended ST doing well, now???
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 10:11 am

All the highly paid players barely played in ST. Everyone can afford to get better, and that's what ST is for!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 2:10 pm

They are overpaid for sure, no one deserves millions of dollars for doing any job, that's ridiculous to begin with. It also proves that spending millions makes no difference. It should be like the real world, you don't do your job, you get written up, up to and including termination, LOL. Like someone said somewhere on here, their money shouldn't be guaranteed. They just signed Miggy for, what, 7 years, at a bazillion dollars? What if this is what they get for their money??? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 2:25 pm

they are resting on their laurels WAAAAAy too much!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 6:16 pm

Miggy is insurance for later this year and the future. Remember, they knew he would probably slump against AL pitchers until he learns them. He felt Maggs would help him there. Right now he will do well against ex NL pitchers he has batted against in the past.

But don't expect wonders overnight with him. Also, that muscle pull is messing with his swing.

I give him a short-time pass and will be very happy with any hits or HR he gets. But as to Maggs, Sheff, Los, Polly, Pudge, ect...that is something different!!!

I am just happy and surprised when Edgar and J. Jones hit well, considering they also are having to learn the AL pitchers!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 6:21 pm

Neutral
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 1:00 am

You'll have to excuse my ranting grouch LOL. Sometimes sitting here filling out 500,000 job applications that take over an hour each and then searching the open positions daily tends to get to me just a little bit Suicide
Wish I could Censored make millions though, give me a bat and a baseball LOL :haha:
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 2:30 am

500,000?
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 11:24 am

iluvpudge7 wrote:
They are overpaid for sure, no one deserves millions of dollars for doing any job, that's ridiculous to begin with. It also proves that spending millions makes no difference. It should be like the real world, you don't do your job, you get written up, up to and including termination, LOL. Like someone said somewhere on here, their money shouldn't be guaranteed. They just signed Miggy for, what, 7 years, at a bazillion dollars? What if this is what they get for their money??? Rolling Eyes

WRONG!! I think TEACHERS should be the highest paid people on the panet....all the absolute SHIT we have to put up with daily....
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 11:29 am

teachers and prison guards!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 12:06 pm

....same basic thing.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 12:43 pm

I was thinking that when I wrote it! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 6:31 pm

tigersaint wrote:
iluvpudge7 wrote:

WRONG!! I think TEACHERS should be the highest paid people on the panet....all the absolute SHIT we have to put up with daily....

LMAO It would be nice....some states I've looked into, when I saw the pay LMAO I was like, "you gotta be Censored kidding me!!!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 8:44 pm

Try Alaska! seems like they pay well up there!
(wait! what am I SAYING?!?!??)
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 8:59 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Try Alaska! seems like they pay well up there!
(wait! what am I SAYING?!?!??)

Cost of living is also very high in Alaska!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 9:02 pm

yup. It's all relative. However, many teaching programs will allow entire student loan forgiveness if you teach in Alaska for 5 years following graduation!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 9:08 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
yup. It's all relative. However, many teaching programs will allow entire student loan forgiveness if you teach in Alaska for 5 years following graduation!

That is true.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Happened to my husband's college roommate. He liked it so much he stayed up there! and now student loan debt free!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 10:52 pm

Hey, wait, isn't there a really high men to women ratio up there??? Like 20 men to each woman??? :haha: That might be something to think about!!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 5:26 am

must've been why my husband's ex went up there! Sho' 'nuff, she found somebody! LMAO
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 5:30 am

Uhhhh lp! You are nasty! lol2
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 5:34 am

nope! just factual! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 5:42 am

haha high 5
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 6:32 am

Maggs has to take extra batting practice today, reports the Freep...
remedial batting?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Listening but not hearing   Listening but not hearing Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Listening but not hearing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next