DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Leyland signs on for another season with Tigers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Leyland signs on for another season with Tigers Empty
PostSubject: Leyland signs on for another season with Tigers    Leyland signs on for another season with Tigers Icon_minipostedWed Oct 31, 2012 2:00 am

Skipper led Detroit to World Series this year; coaching staff also to return for 2013

By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 10/30/12 5:56 PM ET

DETROIT -- Jim Leyland and his coaches will be back in the Tigers dugout next season. The team announced Tuesday an agreement on a one-year contract extension for Leyland for the 2013 season, which will be his eighth in a Detroit uniform.

The announcement ended what had been months of speculation about Leyland's managerial future. He entered the season with a one-year contract, his deal having been renewed the previous summer, before the team's early struggles amid high expectations left his situation in question.

"It's one year, which is all I wanted and I'm sure it's all they wanted to do. So it works out really good," Leyland said Tuesday afternoon. "I'm going to be here in 2013 and, you know, we'll take that from there."

As recently as Sunday night, in the wake of being swept out of the World Series by the Giants, Leyland talked about his future as nothing definite. He made it clear weeks ago he wanted to continue managing, and team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said after the Tigers' win in the American League Championship Series a week and a half ago that he was welcome back.

"I think he's reached that point in his career. I think it's understandable. It's a grueling job," Dombrowski said about Leyland taking his time to decide. "That's not an easy job. And you need to analyze on a year-in, year-out basis. But there's no question he has the energy, he wants to do this."

"Dave told me that they absolutely wanted me, that [Tigers owner Mike] Ilitch absolutely wanted me," Leyland said about what factored into his decision. "I thought long and hard about it. I wanted to manage, but I did think long and hard about it."

Dombrowski said at the time that Leyland didn't want his situation to be a distraction, which is why they waited until season's end. That didn't stop the speculation, including the status of Leyland's coaching staff.

In the end, Leyland's entire staff was invited back. That includes Toby Harrah, whose title as assistant hitting coach was made official. Harrah had been the Tigers' Minor League hitting instructor before joining the big league club in June.

However, both Dombrowski and Leyland hinted the coaches' duties would be shuffled, although they weren't ready to release more information.

"All the coaches are going to be back, but we may redirect a couple of things, but I'm not willing to respond on that just yet," Leyland said. "There's a possibility we'll rearrange the furniture a little bit, but everybody's going to be back."

Leyland is the longest-tenured active manager in the Majors, having managed 21 seasons in the big leagues. Detroit's second straight AL Central title this year made Leyland just the second manager to lead the Tigers to three postseason berths, putting his name alongside Hughie Jennings.

Leyland's 1,676-1,659 career record puts him 15th on the all-time Major League wins list and first among active managers. That includes a 607-528 record over seven seasons with the Tigers. Only Jennings and Hall of Famer Sparky Anderson have more wins with the Tigers.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: