DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings

Go down 
+4
tigersaint
gs78
catbox_9
GoGetEmTigers
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Empty
PostSubject: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 12:40 am

Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski has inklings of deals but no inkings

November 9, 2007
By JON PAUL MOROSI
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

ORLANDO, Fla. – The baseball general managers’ meetings closed Thursday without the Tigers consummating a trade or re-signing one of their free agents.

Still, Detroit club officials were busy during the week on various fronts. Among the developments:

• The Tigers learned that free-agent starter Kenny Rogers plans to pursue offers from other clubs, although Rogers’ agent, Scott Boras, has maintained that Detroit is his client’s first choice.

“He wants to be properly placed in the current market,” Boras said. “As long as the Tigers are willing to do that, they will remain his first choice.”

Club president/general manager Dave Dombrowski confirmed that the Tigers have offered Rogers a contract and are waiting to hear from Boras. The sides have not met face-to-face since Tuesday.

“It’s kind of in his corner,” Dombrowski said of Boras. “He owes us a phone call.”

• The likelihood that Todd Jones would return as Detroit’s closer increased this week when Atlanta general manager Frank Wren said that his club has no plans to pursue free-agent relievers.

With the Braves out of the market, there is a good probability that Jones will re-sign with the Tigers before the end of next week. Jones’ last contract included an average annual value of $5.5 million. His next deal should be in a similar range.

The Tigers also have contacted the agents of other free-agent closers, including Mariano Rivera and Francisco Cordero.

• Dombrowski was active in trade discussions during the week, particularly in the market for relief pitching. Detroit will continue pursuing setup relievers even if Jones returns.

The Tigers contacted the Houston Astros about Brad Lidge, the former All-Star closer who was traded to Philadelphia late Wednesday, but talks were never serious. “We were not open to trading the players they discussed with us,” Dombrowski said.

Detroit expressed interest in Colorado reliever Brian Fuentes during the week, but as of Thursday evening the sides have yet to exchange formal trade proposals. The New York Yankees are willing to listen to offers on right-hander Kyle Farnsworth, a former Tiger.

Asked on Thursday if he was close to making any deals, Dombrowski said, “I don’t know. We’ll find out. We’ve had a lot of discussions.”

Lefties for leftfield: The Tigers are looking for a left-handed hitter to play leftfield, but it’s not a big priority. One reason is that their pitching is a greater concern. Another reason is that Cameron Maybin could be ready to join the outfield on an everyday basis in 2009.

A third consideration is that the organization has two left-handed-hitting outfielders who performed well at Double-A Erie this year, Matt Joyce and Clete Thomas.

“It’s ironic,” Dombrowski said. “We’re looking for left-handed hitters, but some of our better young players are left-handed hitters. They’re just not quite ready.”

Joyce and Thomas should become candidates for big-league call-ups over the next two years because they defend well and play multiple outfield positions. Matt Walbeck, the former Erie manager, said Joyce was the Eastern League’s best defensive outfielder this year, and Thomas has very good speed.

“We think they’re both prospects,” Dombrowski said. “We’re not counting on them for this year, but they’ve got a chance to play at the Triple-A level (this season), depending on how they do this spring.

“Once you get to where they are, things can happen where you move very quickly. We think they’re both big-league players.”

To arbitrate, or not? Dombrowski said he has not decided whether to offer Rogers salary arbitration if he remains unsigned at the Dec.1 arbitration deadline for free agents.

If the Tigers offer Rogers arbitration and he signs elsewhere — or if he joins another club before Dec. 1 — Detroit would be awarded a compensatory pick between the first and second rounds of next year’s amateur draft.

Rogers is designated as a Type B free agent, as are Jones and Sean Casey. The same rule applies to them, although the Tigers are not likely to offer
Casey arbitration.

Furthermore … Dombrowski indicated that he has not been involved in trade discussions this week regarding third baseman Brandon Inge. “Our position players are pretty well set,” he said. … Dombrowski said Maybin (slight left shoulder strain) would miss the remainder of the Arizona Fall League schedule. Maybin has not played since Oct. 22. “He’s healthy,” Dombrowski said. “He feels great, but there’s no sense in putting him in with a week to go.” … Two reasons to believe the Tigers will pursue free-agent outfielder Corey Patterson: He bats left-handed and steals bases. Two reasons to believe the Tigers won’t: He’s not a patient hitter and could receive lucrative, multiyear offers elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:44 am

I'm waiting for something to happen....

C'mon D.D. do something, I'm not patient!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 4:45 am

He does not have to! We are set as is! Nobody can beat us in 08! Tigers will be the champs!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 4:47 am

Well we need a starter whether it's Rogers or someone else. We need a closer whether it's Jones or someone else. We need to decide what we're going to do with Thames, Infante, etc.

I'm tired of waiting!

Then again, if we decide right now what do we do while we wait for spring training?

The off season sucks! You can't win no matter what you do!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 4:54 am

It will all fall into place! victory will be ours!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 4:56 am

the wait sure sucks!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 4:59 am

It sure does!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 5:01 am

Like Tom Petty said....the waiting is the hardest part
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 5:10 am

Damn Straight
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 1:04 pm

We actually need 2 starters.....

....and a reliever!!

Damn Braves screwed up by not being interested in "Heart Attack" Jones!! I was counting on a new closer!!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:05 pm

gs78 wrote:
He does not have to! We are set as is! Nobody can beat us in 08! Tigers will be the champs!

That's right!! Leave things alone!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:07 pm

But we DESPERATELY need good pitching!!

Are you SERIOUSLY happy with GRILLI??
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:07 pm

Okay... Grilli can be traded...
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:08 pm

THANK YOU!!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:09 pm

BUT LEAVE THE BOY ALONE!!!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:11 pm

SoulRat wrote:
BUT LEAVE THE BOY ALONE!!!!

I'm just reporting the facts. Don't shoot the messenger.....
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Did I spell that wrong?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Spell what wrong?
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

UGH I'm preparing to be pissed off... rant
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:18 pm

SoulRat wrote:
UGH I'm preparing to be pissed off... rant

Don't be. Just because everyone ASKS for him doesn't mean DD will pull the trigger.
I think they would trade Maybin first. There are OTHERS in our system that could work in a trade.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:19 pm

Messenger.....it looks funny to me.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:19 pm

Everyone wants my boy Crying or Very sad WELL THEY CAN'T HAVE HIM!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm starting to get worried....
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:20 pm

I wouldn't worry. Miller and Maybin are going nowhere.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

I wasn't before... with JJ gone... now I am Frown
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Prolly not.....
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:21 pm

tigersaint wrote:
Messenger.....it looks funny to me.

No, that's right.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

JJ wasn't the same kind of prospect as Miller/Maybin.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:23 pm

I believe that JJ will be a very good pitcher in the mold of Maddux. He has AMAZING control.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_minipostedSat Nov 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Maddux? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings   Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Tigers GM D. D. has inklings of deals but no inkings
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next