DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic Empty
PostSubject: Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic   Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic Icon_minipostedThu Oct 22, 2009 2:35 am

Werth hits two homers as Philly gets chance to defend title

By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com

10/21/09 11:48 PM ET

Box >

PHILADELPHIA -- A little more than eight months ago, when the Phillies gathered for Spring Training in Florida, they talked about creating something special in Philadelphia.

They talked about creating a legacy.

They set their goal on becoming the first National League team to win back-to-back World Series since the 1975-76 Reds. They took a big step in that direction Wednesday when they clinched their second consecutive National League pennant with a 10-4 victory over the Dodgers in Game 5 of the NL Championship Series at Citizens Bank Park.

The Phillies are going back to the World Series, where they hope to defend their title.

The Phils are the first National League team to play in back-to-back World Series since the 1995-96 Braves. The Braves won the '95 Fall Classic against the Indians, but lost in '96 to the Yankees.

It wasn't easy early in Game 5, and it wasn't quick. Left-hander Cole Hamels, who dazzled last postseason, lasted just 4 1/3 innings as he carries a 6.75 postseason ERA into the World Series. He allowed solo home runs to Andre Ethier in the first inning, James Loney in the second and pinch-hitter Orlando Hudson in the fifth.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel pulled Hamels with one out in the fifth after he allowed the one-out homer to Hudson and Rafael Furcal followed with a double.

But fortunately for Hamels, Dodgers right-hander Vicente Padilla struggled even more. He walked Chase Utley and Ryan Howard in the first and Jayson Werth hit a three-run home run to right field to give the Phils a 3-1 lead.

Pedro Feliz hit a solo homer to right in the second to make it 4-2.

Werth hit a leadoff single in the fourth, and Raul Ibanez doubled to right-center field to score him to give the Phillies a 5-2 lead in the fourth. Ramon Troncoso replaced Padilla and loaded the bases with a walk to Carlos Ruiz and a hit-by-pitch to Jimmy Rollins. George Sherrill took over and promptly hit Shane Victorino to force in a run to make it 6-2.

Victorino hit a two-run home run to left field to give the Phillies an 8-3 lead in the sixth. Werth hit a solo homer to left in the seventh to make it 9-3.

The seven home runs by the Phillies and Dodgers tied a nine-inning postseason record.

Since the Wild Card era began in 1995, four teams have returned to the World Series to defend their title. Two of those teams ('99 and '00 Yankees) won again to defend their crowns. The other two teams ('96 Braves and '01 Yankees) didn't defend their championships.

Todd Zolecki is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic   Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic Icon_minipostedThu Oct 22, 2009 3:16 am

I'm finding it really hard to care about much of anything that happens these playoffs. I haven't even watched an game in its entirety. The only games I've seen even parts of was when I was at my aunt's house when she invited me over.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic   Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic Icon_minipostedThu Oct 22, 2009 5:31 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
I'm finding it really hard to care about much of anything that happens these playoffs. I haven't even watched an game in its entirety. The only games I've seen even parts of was when I was at my aunt's house when she invited me over.

I know what ya mean. It is sort of who cares. I just wanted the Twins to lose!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic   Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic Icon_minipostedFri Oct 23, 2009 2:32 am

Didn't really care about the Twins either. Don't really care about much these days. Tigers lost the pennant playoff. Didn't even really care about that it seemed.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic   Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic Icon_minipostedTue Oct 27, 2009 7:37 pm

I was hoping for an Angels-Dodgers World Series

would have been nice to see games start at 5:00 PST

at least the first couple innings would be played in the daylight

I hate all night WS games; they could play a day game on Saturday or Sunday
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic   Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic Icon_minipostedTue Oct 27, 2009 8:41 pm

gs78 wrote:
I was hoping for an Angels-Dodgers World Series

would have been nice to see games start at 5:00 PST

at least the first couple innings would be played in the daylight

I hate all night WS games; they could play a day game on Saturday or Sunday

Yea, this would have been a great world series. Now I just hope the Yankees lose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic   Phils oust Dodgers, return to Fall Classic Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Philadelphia Phillies-
Jump to: