DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Star Trek (2009)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Star Trek (2009) Empty
PostSubject: Star Trek (2009)   Star Trek (2009) Icon_minipostedSun May 10, 2009 3:49 am

Before I say anything, this movie is the first time I have seen anything that has to do with anything Star Trek related.

From what I understand, this film is the retelling of some events in the Star Trek universe. It gives backstories to a bunch of major characters and introduces some sort of alternate universe. I'd go into more detail, but given that I am not the least bit familiar with how Star Trek works, I won't bother. Overall, the plot here was reasonably entertaining, but nothing special.

As I am not a fan of Star Trek I can't comment on how this compares to any of the other films. I think this film is supposed to be family-oriented but it did involve a lot of complicated modern physics which probably goes over the head of most of the viewers. The film spent a lot of time talking about black holes, singularities, event horizons, wormholes, and other things of this nature. As I am somewhat familiar with modern physics, this wasn't too complicated to me, but I think this might confuse a lot of viewers. I would also like to complain that the ending was rather unrealistic in the sense that a ship crossed, or was at least very close to, an event horizon and then returned to earth shortly after they left. This is of course impossible as time becomes infinitesimally slower as one approaches the event horizon so the crew should have arrived millions of years in the future. This isn't particularly important, but I felt like mentioning it anyways.

For someone like me who knows nothing about the Star Trek franchise, this film is okay. For fans of the franchise, I have no idea what they should think about this film. I found it perhaps slightly better than the average film, but nothing particularly great. It had some pretty good special effects, but it seemed like they were often at the expense of a meaningful story.

76.5/100
C
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

Star Trek (2009) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Trek (2009)   Star Trek (2009) Icon_minipostedSun May 10, 2009 9:46 am

Quote :
I think this film is supposed to be
family-oriented but it did involve a lot of complicated modern physics
which probably goes over the head of most of the viewers. The film
spent a lot of time talking about black holes, singularities, event
horizons, wormholes, and other things of this nature. As I am somewhat
familiar with modern physics, this wasn't too complicated to me, but I
think this might confuse a lot of viewers.

To the millions of Trekkies out there, this is common language and concepts, nothing confusing....

From Star Trek fans, that I have heard went to see the movie, so far it has gotten high ratings. I will wait for the DVD, since I refuse to pay the high price of seeing a movie in a theater. I have watched Star Trek from its beginning. I can't wait to see it, to see if it lives up to the previous various TV series variations.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Star Trek (2009) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Trek (2009)   Star Trek (2009) Icon_minipostedSun May 10, 2009 2:51 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Quote :
I think this film is supposed to be
family-oriented but it did involve a lot of complicated modern physics
which probably goes over the head of most of the viewers. The film
spent a lot of time talking about black holes, singularities, event
horizons, wormholes, and other things of this nature. As I am somewhat
familiar with modern physics, this wasn't too complicated to me, but I
think this might confuse a lot of viewers.

To the millions of Trekkies out there, this is common language and concepts, nothing confusing....

From Star Trek fans, that I have heard went to see the movie, so far it has gotten high ratings. I will wait for the DVD, since I refuse to pay the high price of seeing a movie in a theater. I have watched Star Trek from its beginning. I can't wait to see it, to see if it lives up to the previous various TV series variations.

Yeah, I would have never gone and seen it but someone insisted I go with him and another person. $7 for a matinee is pretty ridiculous. The 3 of us spent $21 which is more than it would have cost to buy the movie.

The guy that invited me said the movie wasn't all that popular amongst some Star Trek fans for reasons I already forgot.

I only brought up the physics because some kid behind me kept asking questions all movie. I was ready to smack him but thought I'd get in trouble. I noticed there were a lot of little kids in there so I'm sure they were at least somewhat confused.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

Star Trek (2009) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Trek (2009)   Star Trek (2009) Icon_minipostedSun May 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Trekkie parents bringing their little kids would drive me crazy... It is not a movie that young ones would enjoy without understanding the jargon!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Star Trek (2009) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Trek (2009)   Star Trek (2009) Icon_minipostedSun May 10, 2009 6:58 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Trekkie parents bringing their little kids would drive me crazy... It is not a movie that young ones would enjoy without understanding the jargon!

Agreed. That's one of the reasons I hate going to the movies. I also hated how the guy that sat in front of me was about 6'6'' tall and blocked out part of the bottom of the screen.

If you want to see a movie not at home, go to the drive-in. The drive-in here is $5/person and you get to see TWO movies. Plus you're in your car so the only people that can be talking are the people you brought. No tall people in front of you either.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

Star Trek (2009) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Trek (2009)   Star Trek (2009) Icon_minipostedSun May 10, 2009 7:41 pm

I actually want to see this movie, but I've seen nothing Star Trek related before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Star Trek (2009) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Trek (2009)   Star Trek (2009) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Star Trek (2009)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: