DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

ZOOM to miss 08????

Go down 
+5
gs78
mrsrabelo
SoulRat
bobrob2004
Dtwn4eva
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dtwn4eva

Number of posts : 15
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : TIGERS
Registration date : 2007-10-29

ZOOM to  miss 08???? Empty
PostSubject: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 3:34 pm

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2007/11/zumaya_to_miss_first_part_of_2.html

They say they are "Hopeful" he will pitch in 08
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 3:43 pm

Dtwn4eva wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2007/11/zumaya_to_miss_first_part_of_2.html

They say they are "Hopeful" he will pitch in 08

Thanks for posting it. When I first read it I was like "WHAT!!!" Now I'm wondering if this could be a recurring thing; injury prone kind of thing. I see Matt Anderson all over again...
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 3:49 pm

omg noooooooooo No
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Stunned NOOOoooooo Thud Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 4:01 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I DONT BELIEVE IT! WE NEED ZUMAYA!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 4:02 pm

He has to be ready for Opening Day! GO ZUMAYA!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 5:27 pm

guys...I posted the Freep article in another post for more info.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 5:40 pm

I guess the good news is that we'll try harder to sign "Heart Attack" Jones now!!

Censored Censored ING Censored Censored ITY Censored
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 9:32 pm

"Joel Zumaya's shoulder problem, the result of moving heavy furniture in the face of the California fires, is a significant injury not normally seen in baseball. It's a football injury due to the traumatic nature, with the best known example being Brian Griese. The time frame given by the Tigers, a return at or near midseason, seems solid. Dr. Neil El Attrache of the Kerlan-Jobe clinic concurs. 'Six to eight months for a return to activity seems reasonable,' he told me. He also held out hope for Tigers fans. 'Velocity normally comes back.'"

-- Will Carroll, senior writer for Baseball Prospectus
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedThu Nov 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Please God...... pray
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 7:30 am

tigersaint wrote:
Please God...... pray

I second this... pray pray pray pray
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 11:46 am

Here's what really happened...

ZOOM GLOOM: Surgery KOs Zumaya until midseason -- reliever vows to recover

SHOULDER THE BLAME: Freak injuries follow reliever

November 2, 2007

BY JON PAUL MOROSI

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Wildfires were looming two miles away, Joel Zumaya said, when the Tigers reliever and his family began removing belongings from their home in Chula Vista, Calif., on Saturday.

Zumaya's father, Joel Sr., had been hobbled by a broken right leg, so the task of retrieving possessions from the attic -- World Series memorabilia included -- was left to Joel, the Tigers' fire-balling right-hander, and Richard, his younger brother.

"We had to be the guys of the house," Zumaya said in a telephone interview Thursday.

Joel Zumaya said he reached for one box and pulled it toward him, unaware that a heavier one was on top. The heavier box -- which weighed 50 to 60 pounds, Zumaya said -- fell and struck his right shoulder.

Zumaya felt a pop.

And with that sound, the course of the Tigers' off-season -- and maybe the team's future -- changed in an instant.

Zumaya underwent a reconstruction of the AC joint in his right shoulder Wednesday in San Diego. The Tigers said Thursday they hope he will be able to return at the middle of next season.

President/general manager Dave Dombrowski described it as a "major surgery," and Zumaya -- five days after sustaining the injury -- said he is still in shock. He is disappointed in himself, he said, and would like to apologize to the fans, front office and players.

"I'm sick to my stomach," he said. "The last couple days, I haven't slept at all. My career could be done. It's real sickening. I can't believe this happened.

"It's scary, man. I'm going to be 23 in a couple days, and I never thought I'd deal with something like this."

At various times during the interview, Zumaya expressed confidence that he will return. It's not known how many pitchers have had AC joint separations of this severity -- "If there's been any, there haven't been many," Dombrowski said -- but Zumaya vowed, "I will be the first pitcher to recover 100% from this surgery."

Injuries to the AC joint are relatively common in sports. In some cases, they heal with rest and rehabilitation, as with Tigers second baseman Placido Polanco in 2006. In others, such as the case of Tigers designated hitter Gary Sheffield, they require surgery.

Zumaya became concerned when he noticed a bump on his shoulder looked similar to those Polanco and Sheffield had, but with one disconcerting difference: It was twice the size.

Zumaya said the physicians who performed the surgery -- Dr. Heinz Hoenecke and Dr. Jan Fronek at the Scripps Clinic -- were more optimistic after the surgery than before.

For one thing, they discovered there was no damage to his rotator cuff.

Zumaya said doctors believe he has a 90-95% chance of pitching again. Dr. Bruce Miller, an orthopedic surgeon and team physician at the University of Michigan, was similarly optimistic in his general assessment of the injury.

"Because this injury does not involve the shoulder joint, per se, the things we most worry about in the shoulder -- the rotator cuff, the labrum, the biceps -- tend not to be affected by the surgery," Miller said. "The prognosis is quite good that he'll make a recovery.

"These pitchers are such fine-tuned machines. They're always riding that thin line between performance and injury. Reestablishing that balance is now up to the athlete and the training staff, and, more often than not nowadays, they're able to come back."

When asked if there was a possibility the injury would threaten Zumaya's career, Dombrowski said, "A possibility? I guess there's always a possibility, but I'm not going to play that up at this point. ... By no means do I want to say that he won't make it back, because the doctor feels that he will. But we won't know until he gets back on the mound."

The team said Zumaya will rest for six weeks before starting an active rehabilitation program. The Tigers expect he will begin throwing in four months -- roughly two weeks into spring training.

Meanwhile, Dombrowski acknowledged he has no choice but to begin planning for next season without Zumaya. He said the team's priorities remain re-signing veterans Kenny Rogers and Todd Jones.

If Jones returns, Dombrowski said he would be the full-time closer, as he has been in each of the past two seasons. If he doesn't, Dombrowski said, "Then we have to be aggressive in finding someone to pitch the back end of the game."

Zumaya, meanwhile, has little choice but to wait for his shoulder to heal. He acknowledged that he rushed back earlier this year -- when he missed more than half the season with a ruptured tendon in his right middle finger -- and promised that he would not do so now, with what he called a "much worse" injury.

"It's in God's hands now," Zumaya said, "and I have faith."
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 3:38 pm

There are rumors that he fell off a dirtbike and landed on his shoulder and THAT is how he really got injured!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Wouldn't THAT be just stupid??
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 3:40 pm

tigersaint wrote:
There are rumors that he fell off a dirtbike and landed on his shoulder and THAT is how he really got injured!!

Yeah, I heard that. But I haven't actually read it from a reliable source... scratch
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 3:45 pm

Just from the stupid people on the other board.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 5:25 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:

There's another board? :Shrug:
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 6:19 pm

SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Yeah. I get soo annoyed when I go there anymore! I can't stand it. I am so used to just you guys!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Are you talking about the Tigers.com board? I am sick of the mods Bullshit! They would not let my post Small World isn't it or leaf blower; give me a break!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedFri Nov 02, 2007 6:27 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Yeah. I get soo annoyed when I go there anymore! I can't stand it. I am so used to just you guys!

Some idiot over there wants to piss me off with a Miller trade rant
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 12:00 am

mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

It DOES seem like some total tools have taken over there. I have been in more arguements in the last week there than EVER before.

Not fun anymore. And I think scarolina HATES us!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 12:01 am

gs78 wrote:
Are you talking about the Tigers.com board? I am sick of the mods Bullshit! They would not let my post Small World isn't it or leaf blower; give me a break!

Because you said TIT. Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 12:15 am

tigersaint wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

It DOES seem like some total tools have taken over there. I have been in more arguements in the last week there than EVER before.

Hey, I've been rude over there, too! Before I just ignored stupid posts. Now all I do is look for them and tell the poster what a complete m0r0n...errrr..MORON they are!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 12:17 am

Oh yeah, the A's board is like ours. I guess people got fed up and made their own. If you ever get bored go check it out - it's dead. There GDT for game 1 of the ALCS in 2006 had like 2 posts.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 12:26 am

catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Hey, I've been rude over there, too! Before I just ignored stupid posts. Now all I do is look for them and tell the poster what a complete m0r0n...errrr..MORON they are!

I think you called ME one.....
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 12:32 am

tigersaint wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

I think you called ME one.....

No I didn't! We were just talking about stupid stuff. It's people that say Inge and Arod are = and that we shoudln't sign Arod because we can get Miguel Cabrera and then Santana next year that are morons.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 1:12 am

You know, SoulRat doesn't want ARod. She prefers Inge.

She SAID so.....
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 1:14 am

tigersaint wrote:
You know, SoulRat doesn't want ARod. She prefers Inge.

She SAID so.....

LMAO
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 1:18 am

She YELLED at me for saying Sign ARod and dump Babe Inge!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_minipostedSat Nov 03, 2007 1:18 am

She's so mean.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZOOM to miss 08????   ZOOM to  miss 08???? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

ZOOM to miss 08????
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next