DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Lord of the Flies (1963)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Lord of the Flies (1963) Empty
PostSubject: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 4:09 am

Lord of the Flies is based on the famous novel of the same name. Unlike most novel-based movies, I have actually read this novel. Like the book, this film tells the story of a group of boys aged 6-12 on an uninhabited island during World War 2. Their plane has crashed and they are the only survivors. They attempt to build a society while they await their rescue but the society quickly falls apart. While mostly faithful to the book, this plot played out rather dully while it was vastly superior in the novel.

The film stars a group of people who were not, and still are not, famous. Generally I don't care for children as actors. This film is no exception. The children do a decent enough job, but none of them were even close to award-worthy.

My main problem with this film is the deviations from the novel. While it is expected that a film will deviate from a novel some, the deviations in here seem quite odd. Simon, one of the most important characters in the novel, is fairly irrelevant in this film. His encounter with the Lord of the Flies, perhaps the most important scene in the book, is mostly omitted from the film. To a viewer who is unfamiliar with the book, this film offers no reason as to why it is titled Lord of the Flies whereas the book makes that quite clear. In addition, Roger, another important character in the book, is barely mentioned in this film. The film is a little less violent than the book largely due to the fact Roger is barely involved in this film. There are other notable omissions or changes, but I will not mention any others.

This film goes to show that unless the film is quite famous, films based on famous literature don't generally work. Some of the most important pieces of literature in history (most notably the over 400-year-old Don Quixote) have never been given a decent film adaptation. This film is yet another example of a poor attempt to transform a well-regarded book into a movie. It failed. I would suggest that fans of the book skip this and I would strongly discourage anyone not familiar with the book from even considering watching this film.

42/100
F
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 4:07 pm

They made a movie out of this? I read the book in high school.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 4:39 pm

I read the book in school

And seen the movie

The book gets a 67

The movie a 37
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 4:40 pm

I might have enjoyed the book more if I didn't have to do a paper on it
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 4:40 pm

I got something like a C-
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 11:31 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
They made a movie out of this? I read the book in high school.

There's a newer movie, too (from 1990ish).

We didn't read it in high school. I read it last week.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 11:35 pm

gs78 wrote:

And seen the movie

The book gets a 67

The movie a 37

Score logged. I'd give the book more like an 85. I didn't write a paper on it though so that helps.

Reading should never be forced - it always sucks that way.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedTue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

And seen the movie

The book gets a 67

The movie a 37

Score logged. I'd give the book more like an 85. I didn't write a paper on it though so that helps.

Exactly

I don't think there is a single book that I was forced to do a report on in high school or college that is one my bookshelf now
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedWed Mar 11, 2009 12:07 am

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

And seen the movie

The book gets a 67

The movie a 37

Exactly

I don't think there is a single book that I was forced to do a report on in high school or college that is one my bookshelf now

Remember how bad Shakespeare was in high school? Remember how bad it still is?
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedWed Mar 11, 2009 11:21 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

And seen the movie

The book gets a 67

The movie a 37

Exactly

Nod
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_minipostedWed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

And seen the movie

The book gets a 67

The movie a 37

Exactly

Nice to know some things stay the same
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Flies (1963)   Lord of the Flies (1963) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Flies (1963)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: