DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Empty
PostSubject: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)   The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 3:09 am

Robert Wiene's film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari) is perhaps the first important Expressionistic film. The film opens with two men talking. The younger man says he has a crazy story to tell, setting up a frame story. In the story, the man and his friend are at a carnival. At one of the exhibits a man called Dr. Caligari has somnambulist (sleepwalker) who can predict the future. The somnambulist says one of the two men will be dead by sunrise. This ends up being the case and the man decides he'll solve the crime and the chief suspects are Dr. Caligari and his somnambulist.

The film stars Werner Krauß (Krauss) as Dr. Caligari, Friedrich Fehér as the man who does not die, Hans Heinrich von Twardowski as the man who dies, Conrad Veidt as the somnambulist, and Lil Dagover who is the expressionistic version of a film noir femme fatale. Of these actors, I thought Caligari's part was fairly well-played. Overall the acting seemed very over-exaggerated, even for a silent film, but given the Expressionistic style this film uses, I found this acceptable.

Of course, the most important part of this film is its style. Made in 1920, this film is one of the earliest, and certainly the first important, film made in the style of German Expressionism. Once the main story begins, even a person with no knowledge of Expressionism would have no trouble determining this film is of a distinct style. The sets do not even come close to looking realistic - windows, doors, and buildings are almost always misshapen - and shadows are painted onto walls and ceilings. To go with the strange appearance to the film, the plot is also Expressionistic dealing with madness, insanity, and other intellectual topics. Given this, the film could be seen as one of the earliest examples of a horror film.

While undoubtedly a landmark in cinema, this film is not for everyone. The film is of course silent and even for a silent film this film is fairly distinct. The plot is more complicated than a silent comedy and given that it was made in 1920 as opposed to the late 1920s, the film techniques are fairly primitive even for a silent film. Still, anyone who appreciates silent films should be able to find some redeeming qualities in this and I would recommend it without any reservations to anyone willing to watch a silent film.

81/100
B-

UP NEXT: To be determined
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)   The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 3:28 am

Here's a few pictures from the film to demonstrate what I mean by Expressionism:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Cabinety

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) 90528-004-84FDFBF5

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Sleepwalking-caligari

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) 10125696_profile_mbox_background

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) 00.07.14k
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)   The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 3:33 am

I loved that one Catbox! Can't believe you watched it! This is... hmm.. let's call it "not totally mainstream". Smile
I would rate it 85/100.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)   The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 3:38 am

swiss_tiger wrote:
I loved that one Catbox! Can't believe you watched it! This is... hmm.. let's call it "not totally mainstream". Smile
I would rate it 85/100.

I'll watch anything whistle If it's a film I'll watch it (especially if it's famous).

I don't care if a movie is black and white, foreign, AND silent, I'll give it a shot.

So far this is my 3rd favorite German film (behind M and Das Boot) and possibly my 2nd favorite silent film (behind Battleship Potemkin)

I'll log your score in just a second.

Score logged!
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)   The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks for logging the score!
I will make a forecast: This movie will not get more than two scores. Or do we have some other people here that are willing to watch a very old silent film from Germany? Wink
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)   The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Icon_minipostedWed Jan 07, 2009 4:46 pm

swiss_tiger wrote:
Thanks for logging the score!
I will make a forecast: This movie will not get more than two scores. Or do we have some other people here that are willing to watch a very old silent film from Germany? Wink

Doesn't Laprimamirarla watch these kinds of films? She's seen Nosferatu.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)   The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: