DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Empty
PostSubject: The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)   The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Icon_minipostedMon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 am

Currently in theaters is the remake of the 1951 science fiction classic The Day the Earth Stood Still. In recognition of that I have decided to watch the original. The film opens with a spaceship landing on a baseball field in Washington, D.C. An alien that looks like a human and a robot come out. The human-like alien speaks English and comes in peace. Throughout the entire film he attempts to deliver a message warning of grave danger to earth, but encounters difficulty as the people of earth are terrified. Overall, the film moved along quite slowly and the payoff at the end wasn't all that great.

The acting here is nothing to write home about. Michael Rennie plays the main character and came off as sort of bland. As he was portraying someone from another planet, I suppose this is reasonable. The supporting cast was passable, but not deserving of any major recognition.

Thematically, this film was probably more relevant during the Cold War. The film tries to be as realistic as possible given the subject matter such that viewers could interpret the aliens as the Soviets. The film delivers an anti-war message, but I have trouble accepting any profound meaning from a film of this type. The film is considered a science fiction classic, but I was disappointed. While the film did make use of some decent special effects, they were not particularly impressive even for 1951. I was expecting this film to me more groundbreaking in the effects department, but it wasn't.

65/100
D

UP NEXT: To be determined
Back to top Go down

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: