DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Sox hire Bogar as first-base coach from Rays

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Sox hire Bogar as first-base coach from Rays Empty
PostSubject: Sox hire Bogar as first-base coach from Rays   Sox hire Bogar as first-base coach from Rays Icon_minipostedSun Nov 30, 2008 11:28 am

11/28/08 3:30 PM EST
Sox hire Bogar as first-base coach
Nine-year Major League vet will also work on infield defense

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- The Red Sox filled the only vacancy on manager Terry Francona's Major League coaching staff by announcing the hiring of first-base coach Tim Bogar on Friday.

Bogar replaces Luis Alicea, Boston's first-base coach the past two seasons.

"It's a great honor not only to join the Red Sox organization but to work with a manager of [Francona's] stature," Bogar said in a conference call. "Hopefully I'll bring something to Tito's staff that can help. It was a great process. I really enjoyed going through it."

Aside from coaching first base, the 44-year-old Bogar will focus on infield defense, which had been handled by Alicea.

"I already sent him some e-mails this morning," Francona said. "It's not rocket science. Baseball getting played correctly is what we're trying to do. We'll get some of his opinions, too. He'll be in charge of the infield play, and in charge of how we align ourselves in the infield defensively, infield drills in Spring Training. We don't have to [go over all of] that tonight. There will be a lot of give and take over the next few months."

Bogar had been working on infield defense and baserunning with the Tampa Bay Rays in his role as assistant Major League coach. He also assisted in advance series preparation.

"It was a very unique situation where I got to deal with very different areas, the scouting side, the front office," Bogar said. "But [I was] also dealing with the Major League staff, going over the game of the previous night. It opened up my eyes to what went on at this level. I also missed being on the field, having a direct impact as the game progressed. I'm really looking forward to having that again."

Before going to Tampa Bay, Bogar spent four years as a Minor League manager, first with the Houston Astros (2004-05) and then the Cleveland Indians (2006-07).

A veteran of nine Major League seasons (Mets 1993-96), Astros (1997-2000) and Dodgers (2001), Bogar hit .228 with 24 homers and 161 RBis in 701 games. Though he was mainly a shortstop, Bogar played all the infield positions, as well as the outfield.

Francona's staff now consists of Bogar, bench coach Brad Mills, pitching coach John Farrell, hitting coach Dave Magadan, third-base coach DeMarlo Hale and bullpen coach Gary Tuck.

Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Sox hire Bogar as first-base coach from Rays
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Boston Red Sox-
Jump to: