DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives Empty
PostSubject: Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives   Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives Icon_minipostedFri Nov 14, 2008 1:32 am

Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives 8KDEGO25

08/06/2008 3:35 PM ET
Tim Lincecum: Sky's the limit
Giants righty cites pitch efficiency as one of his goals
MLBPLAYERS.com

Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives Pp_bug_lincecum_tim

It's going maybe as good as it can be going for me right now, but I still look at each performance and say, "Hey, it can be even better. There are things I can improve on." You can never be too good at this game.

My biggest goal this year is to improve my pitch efficiency. I want to throw more strikes and fewer overall pitches. I also want to get better at finishing hitters. When I get ahead of guys, I need to step on their throats. I need to put them away. Still, sometimes, I'll get ahead 0-2 or 1-2 and I'll find myself trying to be too perfect with pitches or maybe overthrowing something. For example, I'll try and sell a changeup too much with my body, or I'll try and make a breaking ball break more. Then, all of a sudden, I'm at a 3-2 count, and they might foul off some balls.

I strike out a lot of guys, which is nice when you can do it in four pitches at the most. When you're still trying to strike guys out at seven or eight pitches, though, you're bumping up your pitch count when maybe you didn't have to. It would have been better to get him out earlier with a certain pitch. Striking out guys at this level is tough. Guys up here are the best in the world, and they're all tough outs.

That's where my homework comes in. I've begun studying hitters' swings more and more. The more video I watch, the more I see hitters' weaknesses and tendencies. I can follow how a guy can gauge my pitch. I have a better feeling for what a hitter might do with a certain pitch. I can extend my knowledge of that. There's a lot of knowledge to be gained about a hitter's swing or the approach he takes. I'm just scratching the surface at this point in my career.

Hitters watch pitchers and their tendencies, too, of course. It's a constant chess game, which makes the competition even more fun.

Tim Lincecum, a 24-year-old right-hander in just his second big league season, is 12-3 with an MLB-high 175 strikeouts in 157 2/3 innings. His 2.68 ERA ranks second in the N.L. and fourth overall.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives   Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives Icon_minipostedFri Nov 14, 2008 2:00 am

I guess he was successful this year....
A better team would have been nice - he could have won 20 games easily.
Back to top Go down

Tim Lincecum: Player Perspectives
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: San Francisco Giants-
Jump to: