DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS

Go down 
+3
catbox_9
bobrob2004
GoGetEmTigers
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 16, 2008 2:58 am

10/16/2008 1:13 AM ET

Box >

Phils reach first World Series since '93
NLCS MVP Hamels guides Phillies over Dodgers in clincher
By Ken Mandel / MLB.com

LOS ANGELES -- Using a perfect Hollywood script without a surprise ending, the Phillies captured the National League pennant Wednesday night with a 5-1 win over the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.

With the victory in Game 5 of the NL Championship Series comes Philadelphia's first trip to the World Series since 1993.

"After hearing about the '93 team and the '80 team over and over and over again, we finally have a chance to make our mark," said shortstop Jimmy Rollins, who set the tone for the NLCS-clinching victory with a leadoff homer.

The Phillies await the winner of the American League Championship Series, in which the Rays lead the Red Sox, 3-1. Game 1 of the World Series will be played Oct. 22, at the AL champion city, with Game 3, the first game in Philadelphia, slated for Oct. 25.

Never straying from their opportunistic best, the Phillies jumped out front in Game 5 when Rollins scorched a leadoff homer on the game's eighth pitch from the Dodgers' Chad Billingsley -- much like he did in the deciding NL Division Series game against Milwaukee on Oct. 5.

"I got it to 2-2 and I really started having flashbacks to what happened in Milwaukee and I was, like, if I could just get it to 3-2, I know he's going to have to throw a fastball because he doesn't want to walk the first guy," Rollins said.

With a lead and the ball in ace Cole Hamels' capable left hand, it seemed inevitable, and it was.

The Dodgers never had a chance to get any offense going against Hamels. The left-hander bested his Game 1 performance with seven innings of five-hit ball, allowing just one run while striking out five.

That, combined with his stellar effort in Game 1, earned Hamels the NLCS Most Valuable Player award.

"To get an award like this is just something surreal," Hamels said. "It takes a whole team to get here. I was able to go out there and play the way I know I'm able to do, but it's because of my teammates. We had some big plays."

It all started with Rollins' homer to right-center, the 10th leadoff homer in LCS history. That rattled Billingsley, and the 24-year-old unraveled in the third. Walks to Rollins and Chase Utley followed by two-out RBI singles by Ryan Howard and Pat Burrell pushed the lead to 3-0. Billingsley's final act was issuing an intentional walk to new Phillies hero Shane Victorino.

Dodgers defense, specifically three errors by shortstop Rafael Furcal, led to two unearned runs in the fifth.

"We found ways to manufacture runs without hitting home runs," Howard said. "The home runs were good when we needed them, but we found a way to get it done and our pitching staff's been great so far."

While Hamels welcomed the support, he was at his dominating best, posting a 1.23 ERA in three postseason starts thus far, and ending each of his final five innings with strikeouts.

The final one came on his 104th pitch, and caught Jeff Kent looking, preserving a four-run lead. Ryan Madson and Brad Lidge handled the final five outs, cueing a celebration that had been coming for 15 years.

Rollins quelled 56,000 Dodgers fans and Hamels kept them quiet, save for a Manny Ramirez home run to the opposite field in the sixth and a blip of tension in his seventh and final inning.

Soon thereafter, the Phillies were bathed in champagne and celebrating a trip to the World Series they can't wait to get home and share with Philadelphia.

"I can only imagine how it is in Philadelphia right now. We're going to the World Series, so let's get ready," Howard said.

Said Phils manager Charlie Manuel: "Most of all, I always give players credit. They're the ones that do the playing. They're the ones that make it possible. They're the ones that execute. When they're celebrating, it's all for them. They're the ones that made it happen."

But they know it's one more step on a journey that's not yet complete.

"We've got one more big step, and then we're going to take a grand parade," Manuel said.

Ken Mandel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 am

I guess Manny Ramirez wasn't the answer for the Dodgers.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 16, 2008 10:14 am

bobrob2004 wrote:

Even though he played fantastic!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 16, 2008 4:44 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:

Even though he played fantastic!

Tigers should get him whistle
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 16, 2008 5:42 pm

I May be crazy, but I like Manny too. But he would want too much money.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedThu Oct 16, 2008 6:04 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I May be crazy, but I like Manny too. But he would want too much money.

That's the problem

If the Tigers weren't stuck paying Sheff big money,

They could do it;

Unless the Tigers signed Manny

Trade Maggs;

And have Clete Thomas or Joyce in RF

Manny has helped every team he has been with to the postseason
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 am

Rays blow a 7-0 lead...
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Oct 17, 2008 1:22 am

2nd biggest comeback in playoff history -- Boston was down 0-7 and end up winning 8-7.

puke
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Oct 17, 2008 1:30 am

If the Red Sox win this series

I ain't watching the WS

I will be another 4 game Sweep

Fuck Selig!

MLB is as phony as WWE Wrestling
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedFri Oct 17, 2008 11:09 am

10/17/2008 2:59 AM ET

Box >

On cue, Drew caps miraculous Sox rally
Trailing by seven, Boston comes back late to force Game 6
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- For all the talk the Red Sox had about belief heading into their latest dire situation -- down, 3-1, in the American League Championship Series -- what they wound up creating was utter disbelief.

In a comeback that goes up there with any in the history of postseason play, the Red Sox pulled out a season-saving 8-7 triumph over the Rays in a Game 5 instant classic that can go down in the category of near miraculous.

A game that ended when J.D. Drew hit a screaming liner over the head of Tampa Bay right fielder Gabe Gross for a single that scored Kevin Youkilis with two outs in the bottom of the ninth seemed all but over entering the bottom of the seventh, when the Red Sox trailed, 7-0, against the red-hot Rays.

Somehow, though, it wasn't over. And for those who still don't believe it, the Red Sox and Rays will indeed play Game 6 Saturday night at Tropicana Field.

"We didn't want to go down 7-0," Drew said, "but there's a lot of fight in that dugout, and a lot of guys knew as soon as we got some runs on the board we could get something going."

"We were down by a lot of runs, and like I said before, we never give up," said David Ortiz, who bounced out of his slump in monumental fashion. "We keep on fighting, we keep on playing. We won tonight and we're going to try to keep on winning."

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the comeback was the second largest in postseason history, eclipsed only by the Philadelphia A's rallying from 8-0 down to beat the Cubs in the 1929 World Series. But no team facing postseason elimination had ever come back from seven or more runs down.

"A playoff game facing elimination, we're down by so much," said center fielder Coco Crisp, who had one of many key hits during the rally back. "To come back and win it in the ninth with a walk-off like that from J.D., it's pretty much the most amazing game I've been a part of."

Can the Red Sox come back from the brink and ride the wave right into the World Series, like they did in 2004 when they came back from a 3-0 hole against the Yankees and against last year when they bounced back from a 3-1 deficit to the Indians?

Now they get a chance to find out.

"It's probably the most excited I've ever been to get on an all-night flight," said Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia. "I can't wait for the next game."

For nearly seven innings, it was sure hard to believe the defending World Series champions would have another game.

But hope started to make an appearance at Fenway when just after the seventh-inning stretch, after a Pedroia RBI single, Ortiz belted a towering three-run homer to right against Grant Balfour. With the deficit now down to three runs at 7-4, the Red Sox just kept coming.

"It feels good. I'm not going to lie to you," said Ortiz, who is 2-for-19 in the ALCS. "Especially the way we've been going. We haven't been hitting that well. I know this ballclub counts on me a lot."

Back came the Red Sox in the eighth. Drew slammed a two-run homer against Dan Wheeler to get Boston within one.

The Sox staged yet another rally in that eighth, even with two outs and nobody on. Mark Kotsay hit a double over the head of Rays center fielder B.J. Upton. Up stepped Crisp, who ripped a game-tying RBI single to right to culminate a 10-pitch at-bat.

"It was a battle," said Crisp. "He was throwing some tough pitches out there. I was able to foul them off. I stepped out every time and I was praying. Pretty much, I was saying prayers. 'This one time, let me come through for the team.'"

Once Crisp did just that, the Red Sox went to their unflappable rookie right-hander Justin Masterson, who wound up getting the win.

With two on and one out and the dangerous Carlos Pena at the plate, the sinkerballer got just what he needed, a 4-6-3 double play.

"[The pitch] was middle-ish but had some real good movement, and he rolled it over right to [Pedroia] and turned it to [Jed Lowrie], and Lowrie shot it over to Mark Kotsay," said Masterson. "It was a thing of beauty."

Now the Red Sox were suddenly in a sudden-death situation. The game-winning rally in the bottom of the ninth started with two outs and nobody on, with lefty J.P. Howell now on for the Rays.

Youkilis hit a spinning grounder to third that looked for an instant like it might end the inning. In a hurry to make a play, Evan Longoria fired to first, but his throw went into the stands, where it was caught by Red Sox medical director Thomas Gill. The play was ruled a hit and an error.

The Rays walked Jason Bay intentionally, putting the game in Drew's hands. The left-handed hitter worked the count to 3-1 and then bashed one to right. Gross never had a chance, as the ball just seemed to keep rising. Ultimately, it landed deep on the outfield grass. Youkilis roared home, and the Red Sox all mobbed each other at home plate.

"I hit it really well," said Drew. "I thought [I hit] well enough to get it over his head, but it's so deep in right field here. didn't know if he would catch it or not."

So instead of packing up their lockers for the winter, the Red Sox gathered their bags for a flight to Florida.

"In baseball, you believe everything is possible," Kotsay said. "You've got to be an optimist and know that until the last out, anything is possible. I wasn't completely baffled that we tied it up, but at the same time, realizing the accomplishment and what it took to get there. As a club, we all fought together and got this thing done."

For the third consecutive game, the Rays did a lot of damage early.

Daisuke Matsuzaka became the third consecutive Boston starter to plant the offense in a 5-0 hole entering the bottom of the third inning, allowing Rays left-hander Scott Kazmir (six shutout innings) to get into a comfort zone.

After Akinori Iwamura led off the game with a single to right, Upton smashed Matsuzaka's 90-mph offering just over the Green Monster for a two-run homer.

The Rays again did their thing in the third. Pena unloaded for a two-run homer down the line in right. It was the third consecutive game Pena put one into the seats. Longoria followed up Pena by putting one over the Monster to make it 5-0. Not only that, but he topped Pena, homering for the fourth straight game to set an ALCS record.

As a last line of defense, Red Sox manager Terry Francona went to closer Jonathan Papelbon with two on and nobody out in the seventh. But not even that worked. After a double steal, Papelbon surrendered a two-run double off the Monster to the ridiculously hot Upton, making it 7-0. The runs were charged to Manny Delcarmen, however, keeping Papelbon's record postseason scoreless-inning streak alive -- which he would extend to 24 with his two scoreless frames.

Just when all seemed lost, the Red Sox pulled out a comeback for the ages.

"I mean, a loss and we stay home," Francona said. "I can't say [most of] the game was exciting, because the first six innings, we did nothing. They had their way with us every way possible. And then this place became unglued, and we've seen that before. But because of the situation we're in, it just -- that was pretty magical."

[i]Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:12 pm

10/19/2008 2:00 AM ET

Box >

No time to dwell on loss for Rays
Upton, Bartlett's solo homers provide only offense in Game 6
By Bill Chastain / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- Now it's down to Game 7.

The Red Sox beat the Rays, 4-2, on Saturday night at Tropicana Field in Game 6 of the American League Championship Series to force a deciding Game 7 on Sunday night, with the winner advancing to the World Series.

"Game 7, it's not the World Series Game 7, but it's the closest thing we are right now to it," Rays reliever Grant Balfour said. "So this is it. It's everything on the line and we're going to throw everything at them tomorrow and see if we can come away with a win."

By defeating Tampa Bay for the second consecutive game, the Red Sox erased the Rays' 3-1 series advantage. The Red Sox are now 5-0 all-time in Game 6 of the ALCS, and they have won nine straight ALCS elimination games.

Many in the media have speculated that the Rays were tight for Game 6, which was not a view shared by Rays players.

"I think the guys went into tonight confident," Balfour said. "We knew it was going to be a tight ballgame, and it was a tight ballgame. We were on the other end of it, and hopefully tomorrow we can switch that around."

A sellout crowd of 40,947 watched as the Rays got off to a good start thanks to postseason hero B.J. Upton.

Upton continued his torrid offensive spurt with a first-inning home run on a 3-2 pitch from Josh Beckett that put the Rays up, 1-0. Upton's blast hit the C-ring catwalk -- 125 feet above the field -- and gave him four home runs for the ALCS and seven for the postseason to tie Troy Glaus' American League postseason record. Upton also accrued his 11th RBI with the blast, tying him with David Ortiz (2004) for the LCS RBI record.

"We started out pretty well with B.J.'s homer, but we could not string anything together," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "We had four hits, whatever it was, and they left 12 guys on base, and I was taking that as a good sign, but it just didn't want to come through for us."

Boston's Kevin Youkilis tied the game at 1 with a home run in the top of the second off Rays starter James Shields, and he drove in the Red Sox's second run when he grounded out to score Dustin Pedroia in the third.

Prior to the fourth inning, home-plate umpire Derryl Cousins left the game to undergo examination after taking a blow to the chest area on a foul ball. Tim McClelland took over behind the plate, which could have bothered Shields, but he said it did not.

"Early in the game, I struggled a little bit with my command," Shields said. "Later in the game, I found my command."

Jason Bartlett hit a home run off Beckett with two outs in the fifth that hugged the foul pole in left field to tie the game at 2. But that would be all the runs the Rays would get off Beckett, who went five innings and limited the Rays to four hits and one walk. It was a much-improved performance over his Game 2 start, when he allowed eight earned runs in 4 1/3 innings -- including three home runs -- in a 9-8 Red Sox loss.

"Last time, he left a lot of fastballs over the middle of the plate and we were able to hit those pitches," Rays third baseman Evan Longoria said. "And today he was able to put those on the corners and keep us off-balance with the curveball in the strike zone and a changeup when he needed it."

Slumping Boston catcher Jason Varitek gave the Red Sox the lead with two outs in the sixth. The Red Sox catcher entered Game 6 0-for-12 in the ALCS, but he managed to hit a 2-0 Shields pitch into the right-field stands to put the Red Sox up, 3-2.

Coco Crisp added an infield single that chased Shields. J.P. Howell took over to face Pedroia, who grounded to shortstop, but Bartlett threw wild to first to allow Crisp to reach third. Ortiz's single scored Crisp to put the Red Sox up, 4-2.

"I got lazy, my feet got lazy," Bartlett said. "I thought I had it pretty easy and my feet got lazy. ... I always pride myself on defense, so that's going to eat at me tonight."

Hideki Okajima and Justin Masterson effectively bridged the gap between Beckett and closer Jonathan Papelbon, who retired the Rays in order in the ninth to preserve the win and earn his second save of the ALCS.

Looking ahead to Sunday's Game 7, Maddon said, "It's all about how we react to the moment. It's a great learning experience. For us to win that game would be something special for us.

"So it's not about looking into the past. It's about looking into the future right now. We've got to get ready to play that game [Sunday]. We've got [Matt] Garza ready to pitch and we're going to go out and play our game, and that's basically how I'm going to look at it. It has nothing to do with what happened over the last couple days."

Veteran Cliff Floyd noted that the Rays have been resilient all year.

"We've found a way to get it done," Floyd said. "We don't see any reason it shouldn't happen [Sunday]. Baseball's funny. Nobody in a million years thought we'd be in the position we're in. We thought we'd be popping bottles a couple of days ago, but it didn't happen. Now we're about to see what we're made of."

Bill Chastain is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:20 pm

10/19/08 6:58 AM ET
Home-plate umpire leaves with injury
Cousins departs after being struck by foul ball in ALCS Game 6
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- Home-plate umpire Derryl Cousins left Saturday's Game 6 of the American League Championship Series between the Red Sox and Rays after being struck by a foul ball, prompting a delay of 15 minutes.

Cousins was jarred in the second inning when Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek's foul ball hit him. The umpire worked another 1 1/2 innings, but he did not come back out for the top of the fourth.

Cousins, who has 29 years of Major League experience, was diagnosed with a bruised clavicle. He is questionable for tonight's ALCS Game 7 at Tropicana Field.

"He said his collarbone was hurting him, but he said he was all right," Varitek said after the Red Sox defeated the Rays, 4-2. "I asked him when I came back out there, and then I didn't know what happened after that."

Crew chief Tim McClelland, working first base in the game, called his umpires to the infield to discuss how to proceed, before deciding to change his uniform and don the home-plate umpiring gear for the remainder of the contest.

Varitek said that the umpiring change did not affect the complexion of the game.

"I think that they maintained consistent zones," Varitek said. "Derryl had a consistent zone, and Tim always has a consistent zone. He's one of the best in the game, period."

During the delay, Rays starter James Shields returned to the bench with the rest of his team, as the Red Sox waited to bat in the top of the fourth, with Boston leading, 2-1, at the time.

Shields said the umpiring change did not affect him, saying McClelland "came in and did a great job." Hitters, like Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford and Boston's Dustin Pedroia, also said the in-game change -- while different than usual -- did not impact the outcome of the contest.

Said Rays catcher Dioner Navarro: "They've still got to throw the ball over the plate. It was no different. Stuff happens and unfortunately guys have to get out of the game, and Tim came in. Nothing really changed; they did a great job. Shields had enough time to come back and warm up, and I don't think none of that delay had to do with anything [with the game]."

Red Sox manager Terry Francona had left-hander Javier Lopez warming up before Beckett went to the mound for the bottom of the fourth, and Francona said the maneuver played slightly into the lengthy top half.

"The reason we did that, Josh didn't complain or anything like that, but it was a long delay," Francona said, "and if he goes out and struggles, when we rush Javi, that doesn't do any good.

"So we wanted to give [Lopez] time to warm up, throw some pitches so he didn't get rushed into a game. But it was just almost like a rain delay. It was a short one, but it was kind of an oddity we just wanted to be prepared for."

With McClelland moving behind the plate, Sam Holbrook went to first base, Brian O'Nora shifted to second, Brian Gorman to third and Alfonso Marquez remained in right field.

According to Mike Port, Major League Baseball's vice president for umpiring, who was on site for Saturday's game, the decision to have McClelland replace Cousins behind the plate was made because McClelland is the crew chief, was umpiring at first and due to rotate from first to home plate for Game 7 on Sunday.

No decision is expected until today on whom will umpire behind the plate for Game 7.

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:21 pm

Poor Rays

Hope they win Game 7; But Selig's Fix is in

Instead we will see another Red Sox sweep in the WS; A Rays-Phillies series would be a lot better

Sick of Red Sox Nation
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:24 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
10/19/08 6:58 AM ET
Home-plate umpire leaves with injury
Cousins departs after being struck by foul ball in ALCS Game 6
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- Home-plate umpire Derryl Cousins left Saturday's Game 6 of the American League Championship Series between the Red Sox and Rays after being struck by a foul ball, prompting a delay of 15 minutes.

Cousins was jarred in the second inning when Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek's foul ball hit him. The umpire worked another 1 1/2 innings, but he did not come back out for the top of the fourth.

Cousins, who has 29 years of Major League experience, was diagnosed with a bruised clavicle. He is questionable for tonight's ALCS Game 7 at Tropicana Field.

"He said his collarbone was hurting him, but he said he was all right," Varitek said after the Red Sox defeated the Rays, 4-2. "I asked him when I came back out there, and then I didn't know what happened after that."

Crew chief Tim McClelland, working first base in the game, called his umpires to the infield to discuss how to proceed, before deciding to change his uniform and don the home-plate umpiring gear for the remainder of the contest.

Varitek said that the umpiring change did not affect the complexion of the game.

"I think that they maintained consistent zones," Varitek said. "Derryl had a consistent zone, and Tim always has a consistent zone. He's one of the best in the game, period."

During the delay, Rays starter James Shields returned to the bench with the rest of his team, as the Red Sox waited to bat in the top of the fourth, with Boston leading, 2-1, at the time.

Shields said the umpiring change did not affect him, saying McClelland "came in and did a great job." Hitters, like Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford and Boston's Dustin Pedroia, also said the in-game change -- while different than usual -- did not impact the outcome of the contest.

Said Rays catcher Dioner Navarro: "They've still got to throw the ball over the plate. It was no different. Stuff happens and unfortunately guys have to get out of the game, and Tim came in. Nothing really changed; they did a great job. Shields had enough time to come back and warm up, and I don't think none of that delay had to do with anything [with the game]."

Red Sox manager Terry Francona had left-hander Javier Lopez warming up before Beckett went to the mound for the bottom of the fourth, and Francona said the maneuver played slightly into the lengthy top half.

"The reason we did that, Josh didn't complain or anything like that, but it was a long delay," Francona said, "and if he goes out and struggles, when we rush Javi, that doesn't do any good.

"So we wanted to give [Lopez] time to warm up, throw some pitches so he didn't get rushed into a game. But it was just almost like a rain delay. It was a short one, but it was kind of an oddity we just wanted to be prepared for."

With McClelland moving behind the plate, Sam Holbrook went to first base, Brian O'Nora shifted to second, Brian Gorman to third and Alfonso Marquez remained in right field.

According to Mike Port, Major League Baseball's vice president for umpiring, who was on site for Saturday's game, the decision to have McClelland replace Cousins behind the plate was made because McClelland is the crew chief, was umpiring at first and due to rotate from first to home plate for Game 7 on Sunday.

No decision is expected until today on whom will umpire behind the plate for Game 7.

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

If Cousins comes back; He should umpire behind the plate

If not; McClelland should be

With MLB assigning another ump to work on one of the foul lines;

Last edited by gs78 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:24 pm

10/19/08 3:50 AM ET
Game 6 TV broadcast interrupted
Power-related transmission problem in Atlanta causes issue

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- Game 6 of the American League Championship Series started without a nationwide television broadcast on Saturday, as TBS experienced power-related transmission problems.

The failure occurred in the moments leading up to the broadcast of the game between the Red Sox and Rays, and it has been traced to ongoing power problems in Atlanta, where Turner Broadcasting Systems is based.

"Two circuit breakers in our Atlanta transmission operations tripped, causing the master router and its backup -- which are necessary to transmit any incoming feed outbound -- to shut down," TBS said in a statement released during Game 6, which was won by the Red Sox, 4-2.

"This impacted our live feed from being distributed to any of the other networks in the Turner portfolio and caused the delay in our coverage. Both our primary and backup routers were impacted by this problem. We apologize to baseball fans for this mishap that caused a delay in our coverage."

Viewers tuning in to see James Shields throw the first pitch of Saturday's game to Coco Crisp instead saw a filler episode of "The Steve Harvey Show." Part of TBS' "MLB on Deck" program also was affected by the interruption.

The first run of Game 6 -- which came on B.J. Upton's first-inning, one-out solo homer -- was not seen live by the TBS audience, though it was replayed immediately when TBS resumed its transmission during the bottom of that inning. The first image broadcast live to millions across the country was Carlos Pena working a one-out walk from Red Sox right-hander Josh Beckett, and broadcaster Chip Caray said on behalf of TBS: "We apologize profusely" for the technical difficulties. The game was uninterrupted outside the United States on the MLB International feed, as well as on MLB.TV.

TBS is in the second year of a seven-year agreement to air the League Championship Series, alternating year-by-year with FOX. TBS opened its LCS coverage in 2007 with the NLCS between the Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks and is in its first season airing an ALCS.

Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Having Technical and Power Problems in Buffalo

Bills game is in a delay
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Stadium Outage in Buffalo
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:30 pm

Five more years of TBS

Why can't NBC or ABC ever get baseball rights
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:31 pm

I don't know if I can handle 5 more years of Frank TV promos!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:46 pm

WHoooooo Sox!!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:51 pm

I hope it is 80 degrees in Boston for the WS

But it will be nice and cold

Rather see the Rays in the WS

Fans in T shirts and shorts

And Umpires all wearing short sleeve black shirts
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:54 pm

Just like Comerica Park

I bet it will be 80 fucking degrees if the Tigers were in the WS

Never wear my Tigers Jacket again to a game

I know this is the wrong thread for that

But I don't care

I hate Boston

I hate their crybaby, pompous fans

And Ilitch wants to model the Tigers like the Sox?

Fuck that shit

But at least the Sox kept Fenway

Too bad Tigers can't play in a classic stadium
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:55 pm

But Comerica Park[ the hottest ballpark in the Western Hemisphere] is so much better

NOT!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Where have you gone Babe Ruth Curse?

Rays need you
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 2:59 pm

I hope the Phillies sweep the Red Sox

But I doubt that will happen if they play in the WS
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 3:02 pm

Go Chad Durbin!

Don't give up any runs

Last edited by gs78 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedSun Oct 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Go Phillies
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 12:46 am

TAMPA BAY RAYS WIN AL SERIES!!!

BEAT BOSTON 3-1 IN GAME 7!!!

PARTY! PARTY! PARTY! Champagne
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 12:51 am

October 19, 2008

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Trans R H E
Boston
1 3 0
Tampa Bay
X
3 6 1
BostonAB-R-H-RBI-BB-SO-LOB-AVG
Crisp, CF4010010.450
Pedroia, 2B2111102.346
Ortiz, DH3000124.154
Youkilis, 3B3000101.333
Drew, RF3000124.250
Bay, LF3010120.292
Kotsay, 1B4000013.233
Varitek, C4000033.050
Cora, SS3000010.143
- a-Lowrie, PH1000001.111
Totals3013151218

a-Grounded into a forceout for Cora in the 9th.

BATTING
HR: Pedroia (3, 1st inning off Garza, 0 on, 1 out).
TB: Crisp; Pedroia 4; Bay.
RBI: Pedroia (5).
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Ortiz; Varitek; Drew 2.
Team LOB: 8.

BASERUNNING
SB: Pedroia (2, 2nd base off Garza/Navarro).
CS: Pedroia (1, 2nd base by Garza/Navarro).

Tampa BayAB-R-H-RBI-BB-SO-LOB-AVG
Iwamura, 2B4010002.207
Upton, CF4000013.321
Pena, 1B4100021.269
Longoria, 3B3011000.259
Crawford, LF3000021.345
Aybar, DH3221000.421
Navarro, C3010010.192
Baldelli, RF3011020.333
- Gross, RF0000000.000
Bartlett, SS3000012.217
Totals30363099

BATTING
2B: Longoria (3, Lester), Aybar (1, Lester).
HR: Aybar (2, 7th inning off Lester, 0 on, 0 out).
TB: Iwamura; Longoria 2; Aybar 6; Navarro; Baldelli.
RBI: Longoria (8), Baldelli (4), Aybar (6).
2-out RBI: Longoria.
Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Crawford; Upton 2.
Team LOB: 3.

FIELDING
E: Bartlett (2, fielding).
DP: (Navarro-Bartlett).

BostonIP--H-R-ER-BB-SO-HR-ERA
Lester (L, 0-2)7.06330814.97
Okajima 1.00000100.00

Tampa BayIP--H-R-ER-BB-SO-HR-ERA
Garza (W, 2-0)7.02113911.38
Wheeler (H, 1)0.11000005.40
Howell (H, 1)0.10000003.38
Bradford 0.00001003.00
Price (S, 1)1.10001300.00

Garza pitched to 1 batter in the 8th.
Bradford pitched to 1 batter in the 8th.

HBP: Pedroia (by Garza).
Pitches-strikes: Lester 107-77, Okajima 9-6, Garza 118-75, Wheeler 8-5, Howell 7-5, Bradford 6-2, Price 24-15.
Groundouts-flyouts: Lester 5-8, Okajima 1-1, Garza 5-6, Wheeler 0-1, Howell 1-0, Bradford 0-0, Price 1-0.
Batters faced: Lester 27, Okajima 3, Garza 27, Wheeler 2, Howell 1, Bradford 1, Price 5.
Inherited runners-scored: Wheeler 1-0, Howell 2-0, Bradford 2-0, Price 3-0.
Umpires: HP: Brian Gorman. 1B: Sam Holbrook. 2B: Brian O'Nora. 3B: Tim McClelland. LF: Alfonso Marquez. RF: Angel Hernandez.
Weather: 72 degrees, dome.
Wind: Indoors.
T: 3:31.
Att: 40,473.
October 19, 2008

Box score official statistics approved by Major League Baseball Office of the Commissioner
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 1:41 am

Gonna be nice and warm in the Dome for Game 1

Yeah!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS   2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS - Page 4 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

2008 PLAYOFF - WS NEWS
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next