DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

AL Cy Young

Go down 
2 posters

Who should win the AL Cy Young
Cliff Lee
AL Cy Young Vote_lcap33%AL Cy Young Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Roy Halladay
AL Cy Young Vote_lcap67%AL Cy Young Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
Other
AL Cy Young Vote_lcap0%AL Cy Young Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

AL Cy Young Empty
PostSubject: AL Cy Young   AL Cy Young Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Who should win the AL Cy Young award. I know everyone loves Cliff Lee and his 22 wins and ML-leading ERA and it'll probably be unanimous. Halladay looks to be second. Who should win?

Call me insane, but after closer inspection I would give the award to.....Roy Halladay.

Here's why....
While his ERA (2.78) is worse than Lee's (2.54), it's reasonably close. While he has fewer wins (20) than Lee (22) he is still a 20-game winner and that's pretty impressive. Here's what makes Halladay (in my opinion) better....

He has the best WHIP in the AL (Lee is 2nd)
He allows fewer hits/9IP (Lee doesn't make the top-10 in the AL)
He has 36 more K's
His K:BB ratio is better
...and the clinchers for me - he has 22.7 more innings pitched and 5 more complete games.

Lee is still a fine choice and when he wins unanimously I won't really complain, but 22.7 innings more is a ton and even if Halladay doesn't pitch quite as well, those extra 22 innings are equivalent to about 3 games worth of pretty good pitching. The more your ace pitches, the less everyone else who is worse has to.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

AL Cy Young Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL Cy Young   AL Cy Young Icon_minipostedSun Sep 28, 2008 6:55 pm

Lee didn't start today like he was scheduled to. He had some sort of injury/soreness/something. He could have closed the gap a little if he did start.

I give it to Lee because of the greater ERA+. Lee's is 175, Halladay's is only 155.
Back to top Go down

AL Cy Young
Page 1 of 1