DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Ford says Millen Should be Fired

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Ford says Millen Should be Fired Empty
PostSubject: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedMon Sep 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Lions vice chairman, owner's son, says Millen should leave team

DETROIT -- Bill Ford Jr. has seen enough of the way team president Matt Millen is running his father's Detroit Lions.

The Ford Motor Co. executive chairman spoke to reporters Monday after a Detroit Economic Club meeting. The vice chairman of the Lions said he was disappointed in the team's performance and said fans deserve better.

When asked, Ford said Millen should leave the team, but he didn't have the authority to make such a significant change.

His father, William Clay Ford, is the owner and chairman of the franchise.

The Lions are 0-3 this season and an NFL-worst 31-84 since hiring Millen, who won Super Bowls as a linebacker and was an acclaimed TV analyst but had no front-office experience when he was hired in Detroit.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedMon Sep 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Bill Ford Jr.: I'd fire Millen if I ran the Lions

Detroit Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr., at a Detroit Economic Club event Monday, had this to say in response to a reporter’s question about the Lions game on Sunday:

“It was an embarrassment, the fans deserve better, and if I had the authority, I would have fired the general manager,” Matt Millen, Ford said.

When asked again a few minutes later if he would fire Millen, he said, “Yes, but I don’t have that authority.”

The Lions are 0-3. Their latest loss was a 31-13 defeat at San Francisco.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedMon Sep 22, 2008 11:53 pm

clap
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 1:27 am

Too bad the other Ford gets the final say rant
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 1:29 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Too bad the other Ford gets the final say rant

And Millen gets to stay! grouch grouch grouch grouch
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 am

Millen will resign this week i think.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 1:30 pm

swiss_tiger wrote:
Millen will resign this week i think.

cross fingers
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 3:31 pm

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Bob Wojnowski
Wojo: Ford Jr. is right, Millen should walk away from Lions

ALLEN PARK -- Frustration is growing and bubbling, from furious fans to the owner's family. The Lions are careening toward historic humiliation -- sure, 0-16 is possible -- and there's no visible way to stop it. In fact, there's only one way to slow it.

Lions President and General Manager Matt Millen should do the honorable thing and walk away, today, tomorrow, soon. We can rant all we want about the coach and the quarterback and the defensive coordinator, but Millen delivered the bulk of this garbage. Owner William Clay Ford Sr. has been too loyal (or gutless) to fire him, so Millen should resign, for the good of all involved.

The owner's son, Bill Ford Jr., made precisely that suggestion Monday after speaking at the Detroit Economic Club. I echo the plea, and I guarantee almost every Lions fan does as well.

"It's embarrassing," Ford Jr. said. "The fans deserve better, and if I had the authority, I'd fire the general manager."

Asked again if he thought Millen should leave, Ford Jr. said, "Yes I do."

It's painfully, brutally obvious.

It's also clear there's an unfortunate disconnect between the owner and his son, which doesn't help.

Millen must be accountable

Nothing can move forward with this team until the main guy is held accountable. The Lions are paralyzed and poisoned by Millen's presence, by his stunning incompetence, and he has to know it. How can he demand accountability of anyone when Rod Marinelli is the fourth head coach he has appointed, when the Lions' 31-84 record since 2001 is all on Millen?

I have no idea why Millen feels compelled to keep trying, to keep putting the franchise and fans through this. I have no idea why he puts himself through this. A no-quit attitude might be noble -- and it keeps the $5-million salary coming -- but it's astonishing Ford Sr. allows it to continue.

Is there no common sense or simple shame? Millen is an affable guy who came here with good intentions, but this is a national joke that keeps repeating itself, one of the saddest, most-baffling situations in Detroit sports history.

The Lions are 0-3, have been outscored 113-59, and yet we know it can get worse. This is not a young team that needs time to improve. According to NFL rosters, the Lions are the fourth-oldest team in the league, directed by a 36-year-old quarterback, Jon Kitna, who looks lost.

There are precious few stars and little hope. The defense is horrible and the offense can't take advantage of good receivers who aren't consistent. Nothing is working, and the schedule only gets tougher.

The truth is, I don't even know if player or coach demotions would help because the roster is barren. Marinelli said Monday he wouldn't make any changes to his staff and he'd use the bye week to evaluate personnel.

There are no easy fixes

This mess is bigger than the head coach, although that's no excuse. Marinelli isn't developing players (supposedly a strength of his), isn't generating a pass rush (supposedly a strength) and fields the league's worst defense. There's no discernible evidence he's a decent head coach. It's all words, and we're sick of words.

This mess is bigger than the quarterback too, although that's no excuse. I'd give Kitna, who's nursing a sore knee, one more start, at home against the Bears after the bye. That's it. A loss and he's out, and young Drew Stanton is in. Yes, it would be an admission the season is over, but it's less an admission than confirmation.

This mess is bigger than the defensive and offensive coordinators, but that's no excuse. Joe Barry and Jim Colletto are failing, and their jobs should be on the line. They have little talent to work with but are doing little creatively to compensate.

For a guy who loves consistency and order, Marinelli has to be staggered. He's 10-25 in his third season, and when asked Monday if he might lose the attention of his players, he was blunt.

"That can happen throughout the league, throughout business, throughout anything," he said. "It's my job to steer the ship, be truthful to them, show them where we can get better. I don't feel (them wavering), but I'm not with them every second of every day. It's human nature to doubt when you're 0-3."

There's not much more Marinelli can say, and there aren't many moves he can make. He knows Kitna is shaken but he has unproven quarterbacks backing him up. He has to know his defense is loaded with holes, although he won't admit it.

Personnel decisions suspect

It's mostly on Millen, but Marinelli bears more and more responsibility for the roster, partly because of his ridiculous obsession with guys he coached in Tampa. The Lions have seven former Tampa Bay players and only Dewayne White has made an impact.

Marinelli and Millen collaborated on the latest draft and it could turn into another disaster. None of the four players selected on defense -- Jordon Dizon, Andre Fluellen, Cliff Avril, Landon Cohen -- even played in the 31-13 loss to San Francisco, although Dizon was injured.

The shame is spreading, and you can only hope Millen feels it. At halftime of Sunday's Fox broadcast, former Giants star Michael Strahan said the Lions lacked heart, then added, "They don't want to play."

Naturally, Marinelli disagreed, saying the team has played tight. But I'm sorry, there are no new answers and no positive signs. The Lions aren't good enough to be remotely competitive right now and that's a damning indictment of the guy most responsible, the guy who has been here the past eight horrific years.

Only one question matters anymore, and I'll ask it again: When is Matt Millen leaving?

Until it's answered, the Lions' future will be painfully predictable, as bleak as ever.

You can reach Bob Wojnowski at bob.wojnowski@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 4:11 pm

Quote :
the Lions' 31-84 record since 2001

Here's how bad Millen is....
First 7 seasons with Millen: 31-81
Previous 7 seasons before Millen: 55-57

Playoff appearances under Millen: 0
Playoff appearances in the 7 years before Millen: 5

Winning seasons under Millen: 0
Winning seasons in 7 years prior: 3 (and one 8-8 season)

Division championships under Millen: 0
Division championships in 7 years prior: 1

Best record under Millen: 7-9
Best record in 7 years prior: 10-6

10 loss seasons under Millen: 6 (in 7 years)
10 loss seasons without Millen: 12 (in 71 years)

The bright side? If you go back 8 years the Lions were 5-11 that season. Millen's 8th season could still go 5-11 (although that would be very tough). Since Millen will probably be back for a 9th season, he's got a ton of work to do - the season prior to that 5-11 season the Lions were 12-4 and won a playoff game.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Lions could still make the playoffs in 2008
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Season ain't over

13 games left!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedTue Sep 23, 2008 6:22 pm

gs78 wrote:

Spit LMAO :haha: : ROFL :lol: lol! lol2 CRAZY

They've got a bye this week - they'll probably lose that!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 1:42 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Spit LMAO :haha: : ROFL :lol: lol! lol2 CRAZY

They've got a bye this week - they'll probably lose that!

I'm not saying they will

But they only played three games.

Still 13 left in the season.

Nor will the Lions go 0-16.

Too much parity in the NFL
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 am

Dolphins damn near went 0-16 last year...they would have if the Ravens didn't totally Censored up late in that game. Lions, Rams, and Chiefs all have a great shot at 0-16. Chiefs still get the Raiders once more - that'll be tough.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:36 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Dolphins damn near went 0-16 last year...they would have if the Ravens didn't totally Censored up late in that game. Lions, Rams, and Chiefs all have a great shot at 0-16. Chiefs still get the Raiders once more - that'll be tough.

Too early to be talking 0-16 or 16-0

When a team is 0-10 or 10-0

Then it becomes an issue
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:43 am

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Then it becomes an issue

True. Then again the first 3 games are just as important in a perfect (or anti-perfect) season as the other 3. It's like baseball....while very few people think about perfect games after the first 3 innings, you have to be perfect those first 3 innings in order to get a perfect game. If you give up a couple hits in the first 3 innings but retire the last 18 batters, nobody will care or remember.

Personally, I really start thinking about it at 8-0 or 0-8 and get close to thinking about it at 6-0 or 0-6.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:47 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Then it becomes an issue

True. Then again the first 3 games are just as important in a perfect (or anti-perfect) season as the other 3. It's like baseball....while very few people think about perfect games after the first 3 innings, you have to be perfect those first 3 innings in order to get a perfect game. If you give up a couple hits in the first 3 innings but retire the last 18 batters, nobody will care or remember.

Personally, I really start thinking about it at 8-0 or 0-8 and get close to thinking about it at 6-0 or 0-6.

I think about it, too

Especially after last season

I would love to see 0-16 or 19-0

And if the Lions are 0-15

I hope they lose 16
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:50 am

gs78 wrote:

I hope they lose 16

Stunned I'm not sure what I'd do. I mean all my life I've wanted 16-0 (actually 19-0, but 16-0 was nice, too) and 0-16. I'm not sure I want the Lions to be that pathetic 0-16 team though. As bad as they've been they've never lost 15 games.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:54 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

I hope they lose 16

Stunned I'm not sure what I'd do. I mean all my life I've wanted 16-0 (actually 19-0, but 16-0 was nice, too) and 0-16. I'm not sure I want the Lions to be that pathetic 0-16 team though. As bad as they've been they've never lost 15 games.

But the Lions would be infamous!

NOT

Just Joking lol!

I could never root against them

Even if they suck beyond belief
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:55 am

Same goes for the Tigers, Wings and Pistons

Losing sucks!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:56 am

Sometimes it's fun to be a masochist with them though. I mean when they're down 21-0 in the first quarter you can't help but go "we could lose this 84-0!" and almost cheer to see how bad they can lose. I mean they're my favorite team and I've been rooting for them like an idiot my whole life, but I know better to expect anything out of them and I'm so used to them being the laughing stock of the league that I can almost enjoy watching them make fools out of themselves.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:59 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Sometimes it's fun to be a masochist with them though. I mean when they're down 21-0 in the first quarter you can't help but go "we could lose this 84-0!" and almost cheer to see how bad they can lose. I mean they're my favorite team and I've been rooting for them like an idiot my whole life, but I know better to expect anything out of them and I'm so used to them being the laughing stock of the league that I can almost enjoy watching them make fools out of themselves.

What would we do if they ever won it all?

Detroit would go crazy if the Lions won a Super Bowl
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 3:09 am

I've dreamed about that for a long time. Sadly they've never come close since I can remember. I have very vague memories of them getting killed in the playoffs, but that's been so long I can barely even remember that.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_minipostedWed Sep 24, 2008 2:54 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
I've dreamed about that for a long time. Sadly they've never come close since I can remember. I have very vague memories of them getting killed in the playoffs, but that's been so long I can barely even remember that.

1 playoff win since 1957!

puke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ford says Millen Should be Fired   Ford says Millen Should be Fired Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Ford says Millen Should be Fired
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Other Sports/Teams-
Jump to: