DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Did anyone else notice?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Did anyone else notice? Empty
PostSubject: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedFri Sep 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Whoops! Angels' Sean Rodriguez strikes out after 4-2
Yahoo!Sports

If you weren't paying any attention to Thursday's Angels-Tigers game, no need to worry.
Neither were the managers, players or coaches.
In a moment that only the drag of a 162-game season could produce, Angels' rookie Sean Rodriguez struck out when he should have actually been on first base with a walk.
That's right. Absolutely no one involved with the game realized that the count before the strikeout was 4 balls and 2 strikes and that Rodriguez should not have even been facing the pitch in the first place.
(If anyone with the Tigers noticed the mistake, they weren't saying. Kind of like when a blackjack dealer pays you when you actually lost or pushed, right?)
From the Los Angeles Times:
Neither plate umpire Tim Welke nor Angels manager Mike Scioscia noticed the mistake. At 2-2, Rodriguez said Welke asked Tigers catcher Brandon Inge what the count was.
"He said he thought it was 1-2, and I said I thought it was 1-2 also," Rodriguez said. "He thanked me for my honesty."
Welke had the scoreboard reset to 1-2, and instead of drawing a walk, Rodriguez struck out.
Welke apologized to Rodriguez during his next at-bat.
"I told him don't worry about it," Rodriguez said. "It was more my fault than his. I struck out on a 4-2 pitch. How many guys do that?"
Since the Angels won the game 7-1 anyway and are on their way to wrapping up the AL West title in the next week, the instinct is to just laugh this away and file it under the news of the weird.
But considering that Boston's Coco Crisp walked on just three balls a few weeks ago, you'd like to hope that all the kinks get worked out by both the umpires and players before the postseason arrives. The last thing baseball needs is something like this deciding an important game.

Last edited by laprimamirala on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedFri Sep 05, 2008 11:06 pm

omg lol2
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedSat Sep 06, 2008 12:21 am

I thought something was wrong with the count, but was not sure. Now we know that an error was made. I Kept thinking, he walked, but he stayed in the batters box and then the strikeout happened. Interesting!

LMAO
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedSun Sep 07, 2008 8:06 pm

THE TICKER
Tigers strike out player who had four-ball count

September 7, 2008

Maybe umpires need help on more than just home run calls.

Thursday night, when Los Angeles Angels rookie second baseman Sean Rodriguez was batting in the fourth inning, plate umpire Tim Welke suddenly got confused.

"After a foul ball, Tim asked Brandon Inge what the count was, 1-2 or 2-2," Rodriguez said Friday. "We were both on the same page because Inge said, 'I think it's 1-2,' and I said, 'Yeah, I think it is also.' I really did. I would have told him it was 2-2 if I thought it was. It just slipped my mind."

Well, the scoreboard said it was 2-2 -- which was correct -- but Welke -- who was born in Pontiac and attended Coldwater High -- had it changed to 1-2.

And Rodriguez ended up striking out on what actually was a 4-2 count.

"That's a new trick of ours," Tigers manager Jim Leyland told the L.A. Times.

Ha, ha.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia wasn't so amused: "That's embarrassing, and we missed it. That shouldn't happen."

The Angels were leading, 6-0, at the time and ended up winning, 7-1, so Rodriguez didn't make a big deal of it when Welke apologized during his next at-bat.

"I told him don't worry about it," Rodriguez said. "It was more my fault than his. I struck out on a 4-2 pitch. How many guys do that?"

Press clipping

• Jeff Schultz, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, on today's Lions-Falcons opener: "Matt Ryan makes his first official start. Fortunately, it's at quarterback and not in the secondary, which could look like scorched earth by the time Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson are finished. Dude. Feeling the need for numbing agents. Then again, it's only Jon Kitna. Am I hallucinating? Take the three and Falcons in an upset."

Quick hits

• What if the old men had to decide the wars, hand-to-hand? Paul Azinger of the U.S. and Nick Faldo of Europe will play the first "Ryder Cup Captains' Challenge," a two-part special airing at 7 p.m. Monday and Sept. 15 on the Golf Channel. Hosted by Rocco Mediate, the two will compete in fly-fishing, poker and golf with $25,000 cash at stake.

• Actor Tim Robbins, the Globe and Mail reports, showed up to skate in a celebrity charity game in Toronto last week wearing a "Hockey Dads for Obama" T-shirt.

Overheard

• USA Network/CBS announcer Bill Macatee, on reports the U.S. Open might have weekend weather problems: "I know Aaron Krickstein's sitting at home saying, 'Please don't rain. Give me a break.' " That's because CBS's rain-delay video library only seems to go as deep as Krickstein's fourth-round loss to Jimmy Connors in 1991.

• Cincinnati receiver Chad Johnson, quoted in the Baltimore Sun on Ravens linebacker Bart Scott: "The last time we played, he cussed me out and told me to stay out of his huddle, and I took offense to that, so this Sunday I am going to hit him in the mouth. He's really rude."

• L.A. Angels outfielder Torii Hunter, on "Best Damn Sports Show Period," on playing in Detroit last week: "There's not much to do here. There's not much to do in Motown."

The Ticker is compiled from staff reports and news services by STEVE SCHRADER, who can be reached at 313-222-6710 or sschrader@freepress.com
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedSun Sep 07, 2008 8:28 pm

Tori Hunter can BITE IT.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedSun Sep 07, 2008 8:57 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Tori Hunter can BITE IT.

whistle

It would serve him right if he were traded to Detroit!

Spit
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedSun Sep 07, 2008 9:06 pm

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedMon Sep 08, 2008 8:29 am

Our outfield is already beast enough, Hunter would de-grade it.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_minipostedMon Sep 08, 2008 9:52 am

gdennis59 wrote:
Our outfield is already beast enough, Hunter would de-grade it.

Nod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did anyone else notice?   Did anyone else notice? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Did anyone else notice?
Page 1 of 1