DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks Empty
PostSubject: Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks   Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks Icon_minipostedThu Aug 28, 2008 11:02 pm

08/28/2008 12:38 PM ET
Despite club's struggles, Cashman believes Bombers are trying
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Hank Steinbrenner is not happy with the Yankees' lack of consistency, their troubles hitting with runners in scoring position or their position in what may soon be a futile postseason chase.

At the top of the organization, the Yankees' co-chairman is not alone in his disappointment. One day after Steinbrenner exited Yankee Stadium by offering a promise that "there's going to be a lot going on this offseason," general manager Brian Cashman accepted responsibility for the club's struggles.

"We haven't performed," Cashman said. "We're not getting what we need to from everybody that we expected. If I knew why, then I would have fixed it. Unfortunately, it's my job to put it together and fix what's broken. I haven't been able to figure that out. If I could have, I would have by now."

The Yankees entered play on Thursday hoping to salvage the finale of a three-game series with the Red Sox that manager Joe Girardi had deemed crucial to New York's playoff chances.

They dropped the first two games to lower their record to 70-62, seven games behind Boston in the American League Wild Card chase. Wednesday's game came unraveled in a seven-run eighth inning, highlighted by Dustin Pedroia's first career grand slam off Dave Robertson, a rookie reliever who was optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday morning.

But the larger problem has been the Yankees' offense, which has continued to struggle in scoring situations. Shortly after exiting the Stadium from just the second game he attended in person this season, Steinbrenner told reporters, "They have to start hitting. Injuries or no injuries, they've got to be more consistent."

Cashman responded: "It's certainly something that is hard to watch," and added, "We're losing right now and we're better than this. At some point, you are what your record is until you prove otherwise."

Cashman offered a vote of confidence for the performance of Girardi, who will become the first Yankees manager to miss the postseason since 1993 if the club is unable to run off a September rally for the ages. Cashman also said that the Yankees have a "great" hitting coach in Kevin Long, who is in charge of an offense that will fall well short of the Major League-leading 968 runs they scored in 2007.

"After all the red tape, I think Girardi has done a tremendous job given what has occurred," Cashman said. "He continues to try to remain upbeat with this coaching staff to try to keep his players up. It's frustrating for all of us, but the buck stops right here with me. My job is to put it together, my job is to fix what's broken and my job is frustrating the hell out of me."

Girardi declined to comment on the co-chairman's remarks, saying that he had not read them, and that he would prefer to speak to Steinbrenner directly before speaking to the media. But ownership's sentiment should not be a surprise in the Yankees organization.

Though Girardi continues to believe in the Yankees' chances, a club that had been expected to compete for the postseason now stands mathematically opposed to that goal.

"We haven't played consistent," Girardi said. "At times we haven't hit, at times we haven't played good defense, at times we haven't pitched. When you are where you are, obviously there's some inconsistencies or you wouldn't be there."

That situation has never produced encouraging commentary from the front office during the franchise's Steinbrenner era.

"I do know one thing -- this team is trying," Cashman said. "They're not laying down. That's a fact. They want to win and for some reason, it's just not happening."

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks   Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:34 am

No playoffs this year
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks   Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:51 am

gs78 wrote:
No playoffs this year

Champagne With a little luck the Red Sox will join them with early October tee times pray
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks   Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 11:00 am

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
No playoffs this year

Champagne With a little luck the Red Sox will join them with early October tee times pray

Or tea times...:haha:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks   Yanks react to Steinbrenner's remarks Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: New York Yankees-
Jump to: