DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

AL MVP Race

Go down 
4 posters

AL MVP?
Milton Bradley
AL MVP Race Vote_lcap33%AL MVP Race Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Alex Rodriguez
AL MVP Race Vote_lcap0%AL MVP Race Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Carlos Quentin
 33% [ 1 ]
Josh Hamilton
 0% [ 0 ]
Kevin Youkilis
 0% [ 0 ]
Other
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_minipostedTue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 pm

The frontrunners...

1. Milton Bradley - .325 AVG - .447 OBP - .588 SLG - 21 HR - 68 RBI - 4 SB - 173 OPS+
2. Alex Rodriguez - .312 AVG - .402 OBP - .590 SLG - 28 HR - 78 RBI - 16 SB - 160 OPS+
3. Carlos Quentin - .289 AVG - .396 OBP - .577 SLG - 36 HR - 99 RBI - 7 SB - 151 OPS+
4. Josh Hamilton - .301 AVG - .365 OBP - .543 SLG - 29 HR - 116 RBI - 7 SB - 138 OBS+
5. Kevin Youkilis - .318 AVG - .383 OBP - .568 SLG - 24 HR - 89 RBI - 3 SB - 141 OPS+

Others to consider: Justin Morneau, J.D. Drew, Grady Sizemore, Jermaine Dye and Aubrey Huff

Stats as of 8/25

I omitted pitchers because I don't think any of them are close to winning it.

------------

If I had a vote, my top 5 would be the above list in that order.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 3:59 am

Tough call. The frontrunners all play for bad teams and it's the most valuable player, not most outstanding player. I guess it's Carlos Quentin :shrug:
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 9:14 am

Ask me in a month!

A lot could happen by then
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 10:17 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Tough call. The frontrunners all play for bad teams and it's the most valuable player, not most outstanding player. I guess it's Carlos Quentin :shrug:

But isn't that the definition of "valuable?" How do you measure value without using stats? Doesn't the player with the best stats give the most value to his team? Why punish a player because his teammates suck?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

But isn't that the definition of "valuable?" How do you measure value without using stats? Doesn't the player with the best stats give the most value to his team? Why punish a player because his teammates suck?

Well without Bradley and Hamilton the Rangers don't go to the playoffs. With them, they still don't. Without Quentin the White Sox probably don't go and right now it looks like they will.

I think it should be the MOP instead of MVP to avoid punishing players on bad teams, but that's not the way it's titled. The Cy Young in theory is the most outstanding pitcher, but since all the voters care about is wins you almost have to be on a good team. Cliff Lee-type seasons aren't all that common.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_minipostedWed Aug 27, 2008 3:17 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:

Well without Bradley and Hamilton the Rangers don't go to the playoffs. With them, they still don't. Without Quentin the White Sox probably don't go and right now it looks like they will.

I think it should be the MOP instead of MVP to avoid punishing players on bad teams, but that's not the way it's titled. The Cy Young in theory is the most outstanding pitcher, but since all the voters care about is wins you almost have to be on a good team. Cliff Lee-type seasons aren't all that common.

I agree, MVP shouldn't be tied with team wins. I mean, take any average power hitter (Guerrero, Bay, Ibanez, etc.) and replace Quentin with him and the White Sox are still no worse then they are. It's not like Quentin is the sole reason they may make the playoffs (not one player can). Say Quentin would've gotten injured mid-season? Would the White Sox throw in the towel and say "oh well" or would they have tried to get someone like Ibanez? How valuable can someone really be if they can easily be replaced?

So then a player having a great season, Bradley, gets screwed because his teammates (most of them) suck. It's not fair.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_minipostedTue Sep 02, 2008 11:40 am

Abrey Huff is making a very strong case now. In fact, he's entered my top 5.

1. Milton Bradley
2. A-Rod
3. Carlos Quentin
4. Abrey Huff
5. Kevin Youkilis
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_minipostedMon Sep 08, 2008 8:34 am

With Carlos Quentin out for most the rest of the season, (although I think he wasnt an MVP, Thome and Dye were producing well also) My vote will be switched to the red hot Dustin Pedroia!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
Sponsored content

AL MVP Race Empty
PostSubject: Re: AL MVP Race   AL MVP Race Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

AL MVP Race
Page 1 of 1