DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Zumaya to DL

Go down 
+3
catbox_9
Ohios#1TigerFan
laprimamirala
7 posters
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Tigers place pitcher Joel Zumaya on disabled list
By JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • August 13, 2008

The Tigers placed reliever Joel Zumaya on the disabled list this morning, the Free Press has learned, one night after he failed to a record an out in Tuesday’s loss to Toronto.

The team is expected to call up right-hander Francis Beltran to take Zumaya’s roster spot.

Zumaya underwent a medical examination after Tuesday’s game, an ominous sign. He had reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder last off-season, and he was recently affected by pain in his upper arm.

“I can assure you, I’m not going to have Zumaya for a while, even if everything checks out all right,” Detroit manager Jim Leyland said late Tuesday night.

“All I know is there is a problem. Joel is not himself. I can see it in his face. I can see it in his demeanor.”

Asked how long Zumaya might be out, Leyland said, “Right now, I don’t feel comfortable pitching Joel. I’m not talking about because of results. I’m talking about because something is not right.

“It’s going to be next year until he gets back to 100%.”

Todd Jones is scheduled to return from the disabled list on Friday, so it appears that the team will need to make another roster move in the coming days.

Beltran, who was briefly called up to Detroit in April, has not allowed an earned run in his last nine appearances at Triple-A Toledo, dating back to July 11.

Free Press sports writer John Lowe contributed.
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 3:48 pm

Why am I not suprised? Am I the only one who thought he came back to soon?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:

I said that, too! Why rush him back? The team was in terrible shape. Next we'll try and rush Bonderman back so that we don't miss the playoffs by as large a margin.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 4:10 pm

I cant wait till Friday, then Jonesy can be eligible to come back.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedWed Aug 13, 2008 4:31 pm

WE WANT JONES
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 12:31 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:

I said that, too! Why rush him back? The team was in terrible shape. Next we'll try and rush Bonderman back so that we don't miss the playoffs by as large a margin.

Honestly.....I don't want to see Bonderman on the mound again the rest of this year! I don't want him to come back prematurely and wind up in worse shape than he already is. Let him take his time recovering and bring him back next spring. Let the man get to 100% before putting him on the mound!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 2:03 am

Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Tigers' Zumaya: 'I felt like my arm exploded'
Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Wednesday's news was both disturbing and encouraging for Joel Zumaya and the Tigers as the 24-year-old reliever was placed on the 15-day disabled list after tearing scar tissue in his right (throwing) shoulder during Tuesday night's game at Comerica Park.

"Great news," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland. "No problem with the rotator cuff, or elbow, or shoulder. That's a great relief for Joel."

Zumaya had not been as encouraged when he left Tuesday's game, a 6-4 loss to the Blue Jays, after he faced five batters and all five reached base.

"I felt like my arm exploded," Zumaya said of the fastball he threw for his final pitch before being removed by Leyland. "I blew a big chunk of it (scar tissue).

"I thought my career was over. I was trying to be a hero. I could have ended my career."

In words that echoed another recovering player, Gary Sheffield, who spoke Wednesday of his in-and-out pain and setbacks in 2008, Zumaya said he had not felt right since a pitch he threw that was hit for a home run in Baltimore on July 19.

Zumaya, though, said he believed he should pitch through the discomfort in a bid to help his team get back into contention.

When he left the mound Tuesday night, Zumaya was booed by Comerica Park's fans.

"I think it's pretty lame," Zumaya said. "I give it everything I've got."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedThu Aug 14, 2008 5:14 am

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:

Honestly.....I don't want to see Bonderman on the mound again the rest of this year! I don't want him to come back prematurely and wind up in worse shape than he already is. Let him take his time recovering and bring him back next spring. Let the man get to 100% before putting him on the mound!

That definitely won't happen. Tigers won't take a chance pushing recovery from a life-threatening condition.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_minipostedWed Aug 20, 2008 12:18 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Zoomy's HEAD exploded.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zumaya to DL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zumaya to DL   Zumaya to DL Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Zumaya to DL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: