DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Circus (1928)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Circus (1928) Empty
PostSubject: The Circus (1928)   The Circus (1928) Icon_minipostedSat Aug 09, 2008 7:56 pm

The more I see Charlie Chaplin, the more I like.

This silent film shows Chaplin in his usual Tramp character who accidentally joins the circus. Oh, and he doesn't get the girl Crying or Very sad. The plot is pretty straightforward but what makes this movie is Chaplin's acting.

This film took a lot of time to make. Chaplin was going through a divorce and there was a studio fire that caused delays. When the film was finally released a dramatic innovation happened in cinema: the ability to include sound. However, this was the 7th highest grossing silent film in history making over $3.8 million. Chaplin received a special Academy Award for this film - "For versatility and genius in acting, writing, directing and producing The Circus."

This film was reissued with a new musical score in 1970. I'm not sure which version I saw (I'm guessing 1970), but since nothing was added or subtracted (unlike The Gold Rush) it really shouldn't matter and the score shouldn't change that much, if at all.

83/100
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

The Circus (1928) Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Circus (1928)   The Circus (1928) Icon_minipostedSat Aug 09, 2008 9:13 pm

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention that really impressed me. In one scene it shows 2 Charlie Chaplins on screen at one time. I didn't even think this was possible at that time.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

The Circus (1928) Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Circus (1928)   The Circus (1928) Icon_minipostedSat Aug 09, 2008 9:15 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

This film was reissued with a new musical score in 1970. I'm not sure which version I saw (I'm guessing 1970),

I think you're right. I think Chaplin was the older version of George Lucas and liked to tweak his films a lot after they were released. I think all his films have newer music and the older versions don't really exist.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

The Circus (1928) Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Circus (1928)   The Circus (1928) Icon_minipostedFri Jan 16, 2009 4:30 pm

I just saw this. I don't really have a ton to say, but here's a review....

The Circus is directed by, produced by, written by, and stars Charlie Chaplin. This film is about a circus. It opens with Chaplin's tramp character being chased by the police at a circus. He is hired by the circus and is a big hit. There's also a love story thrown in. Overall, this was pretty funny. Unfortunately, I found the film significantly less funny once the police business was over. The rest of the film was amusing, but didn't live up to the beginning. Still, it's a pretty good film.

Chaplin is of course the most important actor in this film. He plays his tramp character quite well and delivers quite a few memorable scenes. These scenes aren't quite as memorable as those in some of his other films, but they're still good.

Overall, this isn't Chaplin's best work, but it's a good film nonetheless. It is surely a must-see for Charlie Chaplin fans.

77/100
C+

UP NEXT: To be determined
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Circus (1928) Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Circus (1928)   The Circus (1928) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The Circus (1928)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-