DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Reds bat out of order

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Reds bat out of order Empty
PostSubject: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 12:00 am

BUMBLING REDS DELAY INEVITABLE
LINEUP CONFUSION IN NINTH SLOWS FINISH

By FRED KERBER

May 11, 2008 --

Stick around long enough and you'll see something new in baseball.

"That's the first time I've had it and this is my 23d year," home plate ump and crew chief Dale Scott said of the Reds batting out of order today in the ninth inning against the Mets New York Mets , a little snafu that was resolved in what seemed like a matter of hours. "It's one of the more confusing rules. That was why it seemed to take an eternity because we wanted to make sure we got it correct."

When the mini-mess was settled, no harm was done. In a nutshell, David Ross led off the ninth and flied to right. Only problem was Corey Patterson was scheduled to hit. Oops. Baseball frowns on do-overs.

So as Patterson -- the real loser because he gets charged with a hitless at-bat -- went to get up, Willie Randolph chatted with the umps.

"Obviously (there was) a little confusion, a play you hardly ever see," Randolph said. "I was right on it. I think we could have gotten two outs if I just waited until Patterson saw a pitch."

Not quite, the umps explained.

"You penalize the proper hitter. The proper hitter is supposed to be up," Scott explained. "Patterson is the proper hitter (to lead off)."

And all that comes under Section 3, Part 2 of "Lineups and Substitutions" which you can read in case you don't care for the Oprah Book Club selection: "When a player bats out of turn, the proper batter is the player who is called out." After Ross flied out (officially, the catcher got a putout), he hit again.

"Which is odd," Scott said.

The umps explained Randolph intervened at the right time and even if he waited another batter, they still would have called one out.

Reds manager Dusty Baker, who once batted out of order as a player because of differing lineup cards, took full blame. The Reds had double-switched earlier and put the pitcher eighth where starting catcher Paul Bako originally hit while Ross went to No. 9. When Patterson entered on a later double-switch, he went to the eighth spot.

"It was my fault. It was on the board with Patterson and then Ross. It was on my card but I didn't catch it," Baker said. "It was just the guys hit out of order and it was my job to catch it."

Given second life, Ross, in his proper spot, singled off Pedro Feliciano Pedro Feliciano . Then the top spot in the order came up.

"I made a mistake and hit out of order," said Ross who promised to buy dinner for Patterson. "I made a mistake plain and simple."

The entire umpiring crew said they never saw it before. But Baker had. He batted out of order for Ron Cey, made out. He batted again. The result?

"I hit a three run homer," Baker said.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 12:28 am

LMAO that's Censored hilarious! Hope they don't decide to take it out on the Fish tomorrow :haha:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 1:37 am

Cheatin' bastards!

I'll bet Hairston, Jr. was behind this!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 2:12 am

I bet he was... what an Censored
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 3:04 am

The article should be read as follows (bold text is what's altered):

BUMBLING REDS DELAY INEVITABLE
HAIRSTON, JR. TO BLAME

By FRED KERBER

May 11, 2008 --

Stick around long enough and you'll see something new in baseball, quite often a Hairston will be to blame.

"That's the first time I've had it and this is my 23d year," home plate ump and crew chief Dale Scott said of the Reds batting out of order today in the ninth inning against the Mets New York Mets , a little snafu that was resolved in what seemed like a matter of hours. "It's one of the more confusing rules. That was why it seemed to take an eternity because we wanted to make sure we got it correct."

When the mini-mess was settled, no harm was done. In a nutshell, David Ross led off the ninth and flied to right. Only problem was Corey Patterson was scheduled to hit. Oops. Baseball frowns on do-overs.

So as Patterson -- the real loser because he gets charged with a hitless at-bat -- went to get up, Willie Randolph chatted with the umps.

"Obviously (there was) a little confusion, a play you hardly ever see," Randolph said. "I was right on it. I think we could have gotten two outs if I just waited until Patterson saw a pitch."

Not quite, the umps explained.

"You penalize the proper hitter although that scumbag Hairston, Jr. ought to be hanged for this. The proper hitter is supposed to be up," Scott explained. "Patterson is the proper hitter (to lead off)."

And all that comes under Section 3, Part 2 of "Lineups and Substitutions" which you can read in case you don't care for the Oprah Book Club selection: "When a player bats out of turn, the proper batter is the player who is called out." After Ross flied out (officially, the catcher got a putout), he hit again.

"Which is odd," Scott said.

The umps explained Randolph intervened at the right time and even if he waited another batter, they still would have called one out.

Reds manager Dusty Baker, who once batted out of order as a player because of differing lineup cards, took full blame. The Reds had double-switched earlier and put the pitcher eighth where starting catcher Paul Bako originally hit while Ross went to No. 9. When Patterson entered on a later double-switch, he went to the eighth spot.

"It was my fault, or so I'm going to say. It was on the board with Patterson and then Ross. It was on my card but I didn't catch it," Baker said. "It was just the guys hit out of order and it was my job to catch it. Although I'm taking the blame, I'll give you a hint at whose fault it is. We have this worthless player on our team, let's call him J. Hairston. No wait, that's too obvious. Let's call him Jerry H. Yeah, that's better. Anyways, Jerry H., as usual, was being an idiot (expletive)-ing everything up and he (expletive)-ed up the lineup. It's his fault but again, I'll say it's mine."

Given second life, Ross, in his proper spot, singled off Pedro Feliciano Pedro Feliciano . Then the top spot in the order came up.

"I made a mistake and hit out of order, although it was Jerry's [Hairston, Jr's] fault" said Ross who promised to buy dinner for Patterson and kick Hairston's ass. "I made a mistake plain and simple."

The entire umpiring crew said they never saw it before. But Baker had. He batted out of order for Ron Cey, made out. He batted again. The result?

"I hit a three run homer," Baker said.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 11:31 am

Wow, Im in HS and my teams have NEVER batted out of order.

Blame Hairston!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 11:36 am

I remember the Tigers doing this under the incompetent Trammell. Nod
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 11:39 am

When was that? 20-30 years ago?
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 11:44 am

gdennis59 wrote:

More like 4-5 years ago.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 11:58 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:

More like 4-5 years ago.

Ok, it was 2002 - before Trammell. I could've sworn it was Trammell though. Anyways...

click

8/14/2002 - The Tigers were batting in the top of the second inning in their first time through the order of their game in Anaheim. They started with the fifth player in the lineup, Carlos Pena, who doubled. After that both Wendell Magee and Shane Halter made outs. The next scheduled hitter (eighth in the lineup) was Brandon Inge but Chris Truby (ninth) came to the plate. Truby struck out to end the inning so The Angels said nothing. The Tigers then started the next inning in the proper place with the top of the order and Inge hit in the proper place for the rest of the game. The Tigers lost the game, 5-4.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Wow, and to think the ump wouldnt know...
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 2:56 pm

hahahahaha I remember hearing about that Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reds bat out of order   Reds bat out of order Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Reds bat out of order
Page 1 of 1