DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Marlins could have interest in Jones

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Marlins could have interest in Jones Empty
PostSubject: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Veteran outfielder was released by Tigers on Monday
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Cut loose by the Tigers on Monday, veteran outfielder Jacque Jones has attracted some interest from around the league.

A source confirmed on Tuesday that the Marlins have inquired about the 33-year-old.

Jones was designated for assignment on Monday. If the Marlins move in quickly on the outfielder, a deal could be worked out in the next day or two.

The Padres, according to a second source, also have inquired about Jones.

The Marlins have told the South Florida media that they have no comment regarding Jones.

Jones broke in with the Twins in 1999, and he was in Minnesota through 2005. The left-handed-hitting outfielder was with the Cubs in 2006-07, and the Marlins a couple of years ago explored a deal with Chicago.

Jones got off to a slow start with the Tigers, appearing in 24 games while batting .165 (13-for-79) with one home run, one triple, two doubles and five RBIs.

The Marlins have an outfield concern, as Josh Willingham is on the disabled list with a strained lower back. Willingham went on the disabled list with on May 2, retroactive to April 28. The earliest he is eligible to be activated is May 13 when the club is in Cincinnati.

It still is unclear if Willingham, the team's cleanup hitter, will be ready by then.

If the Marlins add Jones, the veteran would factor into a few roles. He can play all three outfield spots, and he is a candidate to lead off.

A few days ago, the Marlins dropped Hanley Ramirez from leadoff to third in the lineup. For now, Alfredo Amezaga and Cody Ross are platooning in center field. Both are leadoff options.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 06, 2008 11:02 pm

oh gawd... no... no no no no No
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 06, 2008 11:03 pm

The Marlins have enough outfielders thank you very much... ones that can hit the ball too!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 06, 2008 11:04 pm

SoulRat wrote:

Tell her no, no, no, no...whistle
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 06, 2008 11:04 pm

LMAO !!

Seriously, good lord bring up Maybin first... no no no no to this BS! rant
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 12:48 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:

Tell her no, no, no, no...whistle

Copycat LMAO
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 1:45 am

Play nice boys LMAO
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 4:31 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Play nice boys LMAO

Or better yet... don't grouch
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedWed May 07, 2008 4:39 pm

Quote :

LMAO
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Tigers' Jacque Jones would like to head south
BY JUAN C. RODRIGUEZ | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
May 13, 2008

CINCINNATI - Given the opportunity to decide, outfielder Jacque Jones' first choice might be to join the Marlins. That's what Jones, who the Tigers designated for assignment last week, told an associate.

For now, Jones has no control over his next destination. The Tigers have until Friday to trade or release him. Either way, they are on the hook for what's left of his $5.5 million salary (about $4.05 million). Any team that acquires him would make the Tigers pay much of the remaining money.

Jones probably wouldn't cost the Marlins much more than a low level minor-leaguer and/or the pro-rated major league minimum (about $290,000).

"It would probably be his top destination," the associate said. "Last year he was really excited about the opportunity to go down there. It was something that almost came to fruition."

Last summer the Cubs agreed to a trade Jones to the Marlins, but the deal fizzled at the last minute. The associate said Jones was looking forward to being surrounded by young and hungry players, a chance he still welcomes.

Jones, who can play all three outfield spots, would give the Marlins another veteran left-handed bat off the bench and a candidate to bat leadoff and start in center against right-handers. Getting the bulk of the work against righties, Alfredo Amezaga has struggled atop the order, going 5 for 29 (.172) with two runs through his first two at-bats Monday.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 5:29 pm

No No No NO Perturbed
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 6:24 pm

LMAO
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 1:04 am

I bet Jones hits 280 or higher if he signs with the Marlins!

JUST WATCH!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedSat May 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Outfielder Jacque Jones may be Marlin soon
Former Tiger would add depth; Willingham ailing

BY JUAN C. RODRIGUEZ | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
12:31 AM EDT, May 16, 2008

CINCINNATI - Former Tigers outfielder Jacque Jones cleared waivers Thursday morning and could be a Marlin as soon as today, according an industry source who has spoken with club officials.

Damon Lapa, Jones' agent, would not confirm the Marlins' interest or name any other teams that had initiated discussions. He did say his client hoped to narrow the field to a couple of finalists in the next day or two.

"We've started some dialogue with a number of clubs," Lapa said. "Ever since he technically became free there's been an uptick in intensity. He's weighing all his options."

In this case money isn't a factor. With the Tigers on the hook for the remainder of his $5.5 million 2008 salary, whichever team signs Jones would pay him the prorated major league minimum, roughly $268,000.

Jones can play all three outfield positions and would give the Marlins additional veteran depth with Josh Willingham (back) out.

On the disabled list since April 28, Willingham suffered a setback while swinging earlier this week and has no timetable for a return.

"I want to say, yeah, but maybe not all the way," said Willingham, on if he was back to square one. "I probably was a little overanxious and tried to do too much too soon as far as swinging and activities, and now I'm dealing with it."

The left-handed hitting Jones, 33, also would give the Marlins another option in the leadoff spot. Born in San Diego, Jones continues to make his residence in that city's suburbs and could opt to sign with a team closer to home.

Rainout
Thursday's series finale against the Reds was rained out.

No makeup date has been announced, but manager Fredi Gonzalez said the Marlins would keep their rotation as is.

Andrew Miller, Thursday's scheduled starter, will face the Royals in tonight's series opener followed by Scott Olsen and Burke Badenhop. Mark Hendrickson, who was due to pitch Sunday, will instead face the Diamondbacks in Tuesday's series opener.

The Marlins got home a little earlier, but not as early as they hoped. The plane for their charter flight wasn't scheduled to arrive in Cincinnati until 10:30 p.m.

As far as a makeup date, it will likely be either Aug. 18 or 25. If it's Monday, the 18th, the Marlins would travel to Cincinnati after a Sunday afternoon home game, then fly to San Francisco for the scheduled nine-game, 10-day road trip. The Aug. 25 is an off day between road series in Arizona and Atlanta.

Interleague play begins
The 12th season of interleague play opens today around the majors as the Marlins host the Kansas City Royals for the first time. The Marlins have made two trips to Kauffman Stadium and have gone 3-3.

Interleague play has consistently provided the Marlins a boost to their win total. They are 105-81 against the American League for a .565 winning percentage, which ranks behind only the Yankees (.589) and Athletics (.582). No other National League team has posted better than a .525 interleague winning percentage, and the Marlins are the only NL team among the top nine all-time.

It can be argued the Marlins have benefited from playing the Rays six times in eight of the past nine years. Subtract the Marlins' 34-21 mark against the Rays and their interleague winning percentage shrinks to a more modest .542, which would still rank seventh all-time.

The only teams with a lower interleague winning percentage than the Royals (.446) are the Reds (.433), Rays (.416), Orioles (.409) and Pirates (.377).

Blankets needed
As part of their 12th Annual Dinner on the Diamond, the Marlins are collecting blankets for Camillus House. Fans can drop off their blankets today through Sunday at Gates F and H. The first 100 people each day will receive two ticket vouchers for a future Marlins game. …

Gonzalez said he was hopeful Mike Jacobs (quadriceps) would be back in the starting lineup today or Saturday.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedSat May 17, 2008 3:27 pm

I said NO!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedSat May 17, 2008 4:31 pm

I said LMAO
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedSat May 17, 2008 4:39 pm

No one ever listens to me No
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedSat May 17, 2008 9:06 pm

Eh he wasn't bad. I liked him, he just didn't hit that well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedSat May 17, 2008 11:04 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:
I liked him

No wonder he's gone LMAO
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 12:10 am

Sorry souloctopus!

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 1:12 am

SoulRat wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:
I liked him

No wonder he's gone LMAO

So not funny Sad ok maybe its a little funny

Let me re-phrase that I didn't like him, but I didn't hate him.

(I did tell my friend the other day that if Miner didn't get his stuff together I was going to start liking him, she said that she would cry if he left.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 1:33 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:

(I did tell my friend the other day that if Miner didn't get his stuff together I was going to start liking him, she said that she would cry if he left.)

Bobrob likes Miner. He had me take pictures of Miner. I just PM'd him like 20 Miner pictures yesterday. He was most appreciative.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 1:55 pm

My Favorite Thing About The 90’s? Jacque Jams!

Having lost 5 of their last 6, you would think there would be no good news on the Marlins front. You’d be wrong. The fish, in an effort to have more outfielders than fans at the game, have signed Jacque Jones. This is good news, of course, because the Marlins plan on teaching him how to pitch and bumping him into the rotation. Or maybe not.

It’s an interesting signing if only for the fact that Jones was recently released by a team that ranks 19th in runs scored and 17th in team batting average. You would think they would keep someone with a career .278 batting average around for a little while longer (Even if he is batting .165 this year). Why would the Marlins, who have plenty of offensive weapons, require Jones’ services?

Well, with Josh Willingham out, Cameron Maybin still in the minors and the Ross/Amezega combination batting a whopping .209, Jacque Jones doesn’t seem like such a bad option, after all.

Welcome to Miami, Jacque. Please don’t suck.

LMAO This guys blog cracks me up most of the time LMAO
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 1:55 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Bobrob likes Miner. He had me take pictures of Miner. I just PM'd him like 20 Miner pictures yesterday. He was most appreciative.

Stunned
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 2:00 pm

SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Stunned

Zachwins20...Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 2:06 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Stunned

In his career?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 2:11 pm

SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Stunned

In his career?

He needs 9 more.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 2:11 pm

SoulRat wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
SoulRat wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Stunned

In his career?

He's more than half-way there! No, he'll win 20 in a season though. 19 more to go this year!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 2:12 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

He's more than half-way there! No, he'll win 20 in a season though. 19 more to go this year!

He was a starter for a while. He can do it!

Go Z. Miner !
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_minipostedTue May 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Go Zach!! 19 more to go!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marlins could have interest in Jones   Marlins could have interest in Jones Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next