DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tejada acknowledges age discrepancy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tejada acknowledges age discrepancy Empty
PostSubject: Tejada acknowledges age discrepancy   Tejada acknowledges age discrepancy Icon_minipostedThu Apr 17, 2008 3:20 pm

Shortstop is actually two years older than previously believed
By Andy Jasner / Special to MLB.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Miguel Tejada just aged two years.

Astros general manager Ed Wade was recently informed that Tejada was actually born on May 25, 1974, as opposed to May 25, 1976, as listed in the club's media guide. The slick-fielding Astros shortstop is actually 33 years old and will soon be 34.

"In the course of media interviews, it was brought to our attention that the date we carry for Tejada, the year of birth, is incorrect," Wade said. "His green card, his driver's license, everything that he uses personally shows '74 as his date of birth. In the media guide, that type of information shows '76. We told Miguel we were going to go ahead and make the appropriate changes and all the information was put forward. But the fact of the matter is he's playing like he was 25."

Tejada, who was born in Bani, Dominican Republic, was originally signed by Oakland Athletics scout and Hall of Fame pitcher Juan Marichal as a non-drafted free agent on July 17, 1993, at the age of 17, but did not begin play until the following season. As it turns out, Tejada was really 19. Tejada eventually made his debut with the A's on Aug. 27, 1997.

Tejada's reason for the discrepancy was rather simple.

"I was a poor kid," Tejada said. "I wanted to sign a professional contract, and that was the only way to do it. I didn't want or mean to do anything wrong. At the time, I was two years older than they thought."

Wade had a talk with Tejada and resolved the issue.

"We just decided to get in front of the issue and put it behind us," Wade said. "He was fine with that. Baseball has been dealing with this issue and has done a very good job over the last, probably, 10 years of verifying the ages of first-year players coming out of Latin America."

Tejada is off to a good start with the Astros this season, hitting .296 with two home runs and 10 RBIs. He doesn't believe the disclosure will be any type of distraction at all.

"It's something that happened the first time I signed my contract," Tejada said. "I had no intention of doing anything wrong. And now I feel like I'm 25 years old, maybe younger. I feel my legs are stronger than I used to be feeling. I feel great. I have a lot of energy."
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Tejada acknowledges age discrepancy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tejada acknowledges age discrepancy   Tejada acknowledges age discrepancy Icon_minipostedFri Apr 18, 2008 2:44 am

WOW! it only took Tejada 11 years [after he made his MLB Debut] to come clean!
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1