DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Lowell out with sprained thumb

Go down 
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Lowell out with sprained thumb Empty
PostSubject: Lowell out with sprained thumb   Lowell out with sprained thumb Icon_minipostedFri Apr 11, 2008 10:27 am

Lowell exits with sprained left thumb
Sustains injury making nice play against Tigers
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- After making a nifty diving stop and nailing Pudge Rodriguez to open Wednesday's game against the Tigers, third baseman Mike Lowell wiggled his left hand with a look of discomfort on his face.
As it turns out, Lowell sprained his left thumb and had to be removed from the game in the bottom of the second inning. X-rays proved to be negative, much to the relief of Lowell and the Sox.

Still, Lowell was wearing a splint after the game and wasn't sure when he'd be able to play again. It's all but certain that he will miss Thursday's series finale against the Tigers.

"It's throbbing a little. I'd really prefer not to try to move it," said Lowell. "I can't move it with any force."

Lowell has been a quick healer in the past, and he is hopeful that this injury won't keep him out for anything longer than a couple of days.

"I would definitely not want to go on the disabled list," he said.

Last June, Lowell sustained a similar injury against the Yankees and missed the next night's game. But he later admitted he might have come back too soon, as the injury lingered for about a week.

"That's where tomorrow, I think, is going to be a day where it lets me know a lot, so I'm kind of hoping for the best," he said.

At first, Lowell was hoping this injury was nothing. But between innings, he tried to swing off a tee, and he couldn't muster much of anything. In the top of the second inning, he fielded a ground ball and immediately felt the pain. He came out of the game between innings.

Sean Casey pinch-hit for Lowell and promptly stung a single up the middle to start what proved to be a two-run rally.

Casey stayed in the game and played first base, and Kevin Youkilis moved across the diamond to third. The Red Sox will probably stick with that alignment for as long as Lowell is out.

"For him to come out of a game, you know it's hurting," said manager Terry Francona. "We're never going to do something we think is going to adversely effect somebody. He was already examined today, he'll be examined again tomorrow and hopefully we'll know a lot more on how he shows up."

Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down

Lowell out with sprained thumb
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Boston Red Sox-
Jump to: