DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Bard's slide into dugout costs a run

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Bard's slide into dugout costs a run Empty
PostSubject: Bard's slide into dugout costs a run   Bard's slide into dugout costs a run Icon_minipostedSat Apr 05, 2008 9:28 pm

SAN DIEGO -- Jake Peavy lost his bid for a shutout Saturday on a play so strange that the official rulebook had to be consulted.

In the fourth inning at PETCO Park and with Rafael Furcal on third base after starting the inning with a triple, Dodgers catcher Russell Martin lifted a popup into foul territory that drifted toward the Padres dugout.

San Diego catcher Josh Bard gave chase and made a sliding catch before he tumbled into the dugout. Bard regained his feet and ran out of the dugout to ensure that Furcal didn't try to score from third on the play.

But that is what happened anyway as, after meeting between the umpires, Furcal was awarded home.

Baseball's official rules state in Rule 7.04(c) that if "a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should fall ... into the dugout or any other out-of-play area while in possession of the ball ... the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out."

"A few years ago, there was a rule that if a defender goes into the dugout and loses his footing, the runner gets a base," Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. "I couldn't tell from my angle if Bard went into the dugout. I only questioned whether he had gone in. This is a good crew. They conferred. They were trying to get it right."

Bard didn't have any issues with the ruling, mostly because he's a bottom-line kind of guy and the Padres, behind Peavy's complete-game effort, defeated the Dodgers, 4-1.

"Obviously, it didn't cost us. [Plate umpire] Jim Joyce is one of the best umpires in the game, if not the best," Bard said. "I haven't looked at it. From what I understand, it's the equivalent of a player jumping into the stands.

"I was as surprised as anyone that the ball landed in my glove."

San Diego manager Bud Black had a brief discussion with Joyce before play resumed with San Diego leading, 4-1.

"My mind-set there was I was trying to go over there in case the ball came back. It kind of kept going. I'm kind of a chubby guy, so it's hard for me to stop, so I just figured I would slide and it landed in my glove," Bard said.

"I've never read the rulebook. My job is to catch the ball."
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Bard's slide into dugout costs a run   Bard's slide into dugout costs a run Icon_minipostedSat Apr 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Now that's what I call "bad luck!"
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Bard's slide into dugout costs a run   Bard's slide into dugout costs a run Icon_minipostedSat Apr 05, 2008 9:31 pm

i find that a dumb rule, i saw how hard he ran for tha ball and a catch is a catch, therefore an out should be an out!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Bard's slide into dugout costs a run   Bard's slide into dugout costs a run Icon_minipostedSat Apr 05, 2008 9:45 pm

I was watching the game live on FOX. This rule sucks - bad!

It might as well be scored as a sac fly to the catcher - that would do a better job explaining how bad the rule was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bard's slide into dugout costs a run   Bard's slide into dugout costs a run Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: San Diego Padres-
Jump to: