DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The African Queen (1951)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The African Queen (1951) Empty
PostSubject: The African Queen (1951)   The African Queen (1951) Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 am

Tonight's movie will be the 1951 classic The African Queen. It stars the American Film Institute's choice for the greatest actor of all-time in Humphrey Bogart. It co-stars the AFI's choice for the greatest actress of all-time in Katharine Hepburn. With that combination how could it possibly be anything but great? Stay tuned for a review...
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The African Queen (1951) Empty
PostSubject: Re: The African Queen (1951)   The African Queen (1951) Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 4:18 am

Okay...

This movie was pretty good. The beginning was a little slow so that costs it a few points. Once Katharine Hepburn's brother dies it really picks up though.

As for the cast - there were only 2 actors really. Other than the first 5 and last 5 minutes of the movie you never saw anyone but Hepburn and Bogart. They're outstanding actors so that was quite alright. Let's go one at a time....Bogart was great. He won the Academy Award for best actor in this film so saying anything more is superfluous. Katharine Hepburn was nominated for best actress but did not win (Vivien Leigh of A Streetcar Named Desire won...I want to see that but that's not relevant to this review). Hepburn was still quite excellent in this film and did win the award a record four times and was nominated a record 12 times so she'll live...actually she won't - she died in 2003 at the age of 96 Sad

Back to the movie. As always I won't go into much, if any, details on the plot as there are a plethora of other places to read plot summaries. The plot was very interesting once Hepburn's brother died and I was very into it. There were a few areas that were somewhat weak/unrealistic, namely the way they repaired the boat and the torpedo thing so I'll deduct a few points for that. All in all, the plot is great as is the acting. One of the last lines in the movie had me laughing....
The two are married and the guy who marries them says "By the power vested in my by Kaiser Wilhelm II, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Proceed with the execution."

As explained previously, this movie is pretty good, although I'd say it's in a tier below The Maltese Falcon
85/100
B

UP NEXT: Let's try the other Hepburn - Audrey (no relation) paired with Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday.
Back to top Go down

The African Queen (1951)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: