DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Pedro makes anticipated debut Sunday

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Pedro makes anticipated debut Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Pedro makes anticipated debut Sunday   Pedro makes anticipated debut Sunday Icon_minipostedSat Mar 15, 2008 11:16 pm

After several postponements, Mets righty to take hill vs. Tigers
By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- No more false starts. Pedro Martinez is finally set to make his Spring Training debut, and this time, it's for real.

After numerous delays worked in concert to stall his Grapefruit League season, Martinez will face the Tigers on Sunday in a 1:10 p.m. ET game at Tradition Field.

The Mets allowed one turn in the rotation to pass before Martinez was even scheduled for his first start earlier this month. When heavy rains in Viera, Fla., postponed that game, Martinez instead pitch a simulated game the next day.

Four days later, Martinez would have pitched, if not for his aversion to long bus rides. The Mets were slated to travel across the state to Fort Myers, Fla., for a game against the Red Sox, so Martinez instead stayed behind to pitch another simulated game.

Now, he'll face a real opponent for the first time this spring. The weather report is fine -- sunny all day -- and the Mets are predictably excited.

"It's always good to see him and watch him pitch," fellow Mets starter Johan Santana said. "He's a great pitcher, a great guy and a great friend. Definitely, I'm looking forward to spending all this time together and to watching him pitch."

The game will mark Martinez's first Grapefruit League start since 2006. He missed most of last season -- Spring Training included -- while recovering from right rotator cuff surgery, eventually returning to post three wins and a 2.57 ERA down the stretch.

Because of the delays, Martinez won't be able to approach the five innings and 80 pitches that have become benchmarks for other Mets starters by this point of spring. But that doesn't mean he can't impress.

"With Pedro, we'll just see how he grinds and how he goes," Mets manager Willie Randolph said, noting that he expects three or four innings out of Martinez. "He might start breezing and feel pretty good. He's in great physical condition. He looks good, so we'll just get him out there and get the wraps off, and I look forward to seeing him pitch."

Randolph said he wasn't worried about Martinez's health, and Martinez even joked about the matter earlier this week. Despite storylines billing him and Santana as dual aces for the Mets, Martinez must first prove that he's healthy enough to complete his first full season since 2005.

"I've been bombarded with questions about Johan, when I'm going to pitch and my velocity," Martinez said after his last simulated game. "But no one asks about my health. And that's the most important thing.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: New York Mets-
Jump to: