DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Empty
PostSubject: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedSat Mar 08, 2008 10:53 am

by Danny Knobler
Saturday March 08, 2008, 1:10 AM

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Detroit Tigers are more than halfway through their stay in Florida, which makes what manager Jim Leyland said Friday a little bit disconcerting.

"I know less about our pitching than I did when I came into camp," Leyland said before Friday's 9-6 spring training win against Atlanta. "There's a pile of guys there, and we've still got to sort through them."

The Tigers came to Florida counting on Fernando Rodney as their setup man, but Rodney was slowed by right shoulder soreness and still has no appeared in a game. While the plan is for him to throw off a bullpen mound by next week, until he does he is a question mark.

Also, the Tigers expected right-hander Francisco Cruceta to be a real contender for a bullpen spot. Cruceta has yet to arrive in camp because of visa trouble.

"That's the other uncertainty," Leyland said.

At the moment, the Tigers do not seem ready to add to their bullpen options via trade, mostly because the type of reliever who would really help is not available. The New York Mets had interest in Marcus Thames even before Moises Alou got hurt, but it is difficult to imagine the Tigers dealing Thames for any of the pitchers the Mets would be willing to trade.

Backup catcher unresolved, too
The backup catcher situation is as uncertain as the bullpen, and the big unanswered question is whether Vance Wilson will have to miss the first few weeks of the season or be out much longer than that.

Asked Friday if Wilson's absence could go deeper into the season than the Tigers first feared, Leyland said: "It could be."

Odds & ends
Ivan Rodriguez changed his winter workout routine with the thought that he would be stronger, and perhaps it is showing. Rodriguez hit his second home run of the spring Friday and had two doubles. ... Leyland said Gary Sheffield has leg cramps will not be able to play as scheduled today against Toronto. But Leyland said he is not concerned about Sheffield's 0-for-11 start at the plate. "I think he's swinging the bat good," Leyland said. "The ball sounded good off his bat (on Thursday).'' ... Ramon Santiago is 8-for-11 this spring, and Leyland said Santiago is "swinging better than I've ever seen him." Leyland suggested that Santiago now is just focusing on hitting line drives after suffering from what he called "big-man-itis" last year. "That's true," Santiago said. "Sometimes, you get in love with (home runs), even though you know it's not your game."
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedFri Mar 14, 2008 3:23 pm

Tigers' bullpen becoming clearer
by Tom Kowalski
Friday March 14, 2008, 1:44 AM

LAKELAND, Fla. -- The unsettled bullpen situation for the Detroit Tigers got a little bit clearer on Thursday, at least in the mind of manager Jim Leyland.

"I'll make this real simple. It's unlikely (Fernando) Rodney's going to be ready, in my opinion. Now, is that etched in stone? No. But I would think it's unlikely," Leyland said before Detroit's 6-6, 10-inning tie with the Atlanta Braves on Thursday.

If Rodney is out, that means there are six pitchers battling for the final two bullpen spots on the 25-man roster. The guys who have a spot locked up, other than the five starters, are: Todd Jones, Jason Grilli, Zach Miner, Bobby Seay and Tim Byrdak.

Jones, who endured two straight poor spring outings, was never in danger of not making the team but his performance on Thursday had to have Leyland feeling a little better. Jones retired the side in order in the seventh inning.

"It's a process and there are steps I have to do to get ready. As you get older, you want to make sure you can still do those steps," Jones said. "For me, maybe I need more innings in the spring than I've had (in the past). I'm going to get five to seven more times off the mound so I'll be OK."

Leyland said that, regardless of Rodney's situation, he knows exactly how many lefties he'll have in the bullpen.

"I'll have two. Etched in stone -- two. Forget it, there will be no more or no less," he said. "Bobby Seay and Tim Byrdak will be the left-handers in the bullpen. End of story."

The six who are trying to land one of the final two spots are Danny Bautista, Yorman Bazardo, Freddy Dolsi, Preston Larrison, Aquilino Lopez and Francisco Cruceta. Considering that Cruceta still isn't in camp yet because of his visa problems in the Dominican Republic, it's more likely a battle of five pitchers.

"I'm going to check the springs some of these guys have had in the past. Some guys have lit it up every spring and then haven't been worth a Censored," Leyland said. "We'll get our investigative team out there, smell around a little bit and get some information."

In discussing the roles of each of the relievers, Leyland put it in some pretty basic terms.

"Their roles will be defined here and it's real simple: When you get the Censored-ing ball, pitch good," Leyland said. "You usually get the ball more often when you pitch good. It's not really rocket science. If you pitch good, you stay and pitch a little more. If you don't, you go back somewhere else. That's my definition of a role." LMAO

Rodney, coming back from shoulder tendonitis, threw off a mound for about 10 minutes on Thursday, throwing all fastballs.

"I feel very loose today, I didn't try to do too much," said Rodney, who will have a light throwing session today before getting more mound work in on Saturday.

The potential loss of Rodney means the position of the eighth-inning setup man is vacant.

"I'll have to do it by committee if Rodney's not available," Leyland said. "If somebody steps up, fine. Would I like to have somebody do it consistently? Yes. Do we have that guy? I don't know. Do we have the talent to do it? Yes. Do we have the mental part, the makeup, the talent -- the combination? I don't know that yet."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedFri Mar 14, 2008 3:36 pm

Quote :
"Their roles will be defined here and it's real simple: When you get the Censored-ing
ball, pitch good," Leyland said. "You usually get the ball more often
when you pitch good. It's not really rocket science. If you pitch good,
you stay and pitch a little more. If you don't, you go back somewhere
else. That's my definition of a role."
LMAO

I love it! Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled 36_15_27
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedFri Mar 14, 2008 8:49 pm

I think Leylands biggest problem was counting on "Nando" in the first place. The Tigers are better off without the enigma that Rodney is!!

:shrug:
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedFri Mar 14, 2008 9:03 pm

tigersaint wrote:
I think Leylands biggest problem was counting on "Nando" in the first place. The Tigers are better off without the enigma that Rodney is!!

:shrug:

Nod
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedFri Mar 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Between Zoom and his not growing up, and Rodney... I hope they get some money going and get a great closer or other bullpen guy next year!!! Even better, now.

Todd will be gone next year, I bet (and hope)
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedSat Mar 15, 2008 10:32 am

We are thinking alike on this one.

Go Rodney....seriously, just GO!!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedSat Mar 15, 2008 10:35 am

Can you believe that damus on the other board said that Grilli would come back to haunt us if we let him go and Cleveland picked him up??

lol! LMAO LMAO LMAO lol! what an Asshat

I would "encourage" a move like that!!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_minipostedSat Mar 15, 2008 10:37 am

I never did like damus so I don't even look at that board much anymore...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled   Tigers' bullpen remains unsettled Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Archives :: Locked Threads-
Jump to: