DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG

Go down 
+4
laprimamirala
Casey21
tigersaint
GoGetEmTigers
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Empty
PostSubject: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedThu Dec 27, 2007 10:08 pm

Curtis has a neat blog site on ESPN and I thought I would post some of his discussions here, every now and then.

Your questions, my answers

posted: Wednesday, May 9, 2007 | Print Entry

Today, I am going to answer questions because I have something else planned for my Friday blog this week.
Again, lots of great questions came in. I'll be back on schedule in two
weeks with the Q&A, so send those questions to me at grandy@fullathletemarketing.com.

Scott (Muscatine, Iowa) and John (Cairo, Egypt): What is your favorite restaurant in Detroit?

When my parents come into town, they normally stay downtown, so I normally eat at Fishbones with them. If I need somewhere to eat after the game, I know that the Bahama Breeze in Troy (a Detroit suburb) is open until midnight, so it helps after a night game to make sure I can eat. As for lunch, I really like Jimmy Johns. I had that while I was in college at Illinois-Chicago, so since they are here in Detroit as well, I feel at home.

Mark (Parts Unknown): I know a walk-off home run or a web gem has to be exciting, but what's the best part of everyday baseball for you?

The fact that on any given play on defense or with one swing of the bat you can make one of those amazing plays you just mentioned. You never know what is about to happen with this game, and when it does happen, it can be great.

Sarah (Grand Rapids, Mich.): If you weren't a professional athlete, what would be your alternative dream job?

I want to go back to school and get my master's degree in education administration so I can go back to the college level and work with student-athletes and compliance. I want to make sure they remain eligible and take the courses to put them on the right path to graduate.

Gabe (Lincoln Park, Mich.): Are there any video games that you like to play in your free time?

None recently, but in 2004 in Double-A Erie, our whole team would play HALO. We would bring 3-4 Xboxs on the road and unhook the TVs in each room so we would have them all in one room, and 12-16 guys would pile in one room and play HALO starting around 10 a.m. until it was time to go to the field. We would start right back up after the game til about 2-4 a.m. That's when you hoped you didn't get roomed with someone who owned an Xbox, because you were never able to sleep. It was a lot of fun, though.

Keith (Taipei, Taiwan): What is the dialogue like in the dugout -- how much adjusting and discussion is going on? When a teammate is having a hard day, will players approach him with advice? How do you adjust throughout a game?

Each player is a little different on this team. Some guys you go to a lot if they are doing well or badly and just talk to. Some you leave alone if they are doing badly because they like to deal with it themselves. Sometimes, you can get a little confused with pitchers because they may only be in the game for a pitch, and if it's a good pitch they are happy. If it's a bad pitch they are upset. As a position player I can't relate to them always so I normally leave them alone until after the game in a situation like that.

J. (Holland, Mich.): Can you tell us more about how the center fielder positions the other outfielders, and what exactly you do to prepare for the hitters on the other side before a series begins?

Before each series, Andy Van Slyke will gather up all the outfielders (Mags, Sheff, Omar, C-MO, Marcus, and myself) and we go over the opposing hitters. There are slight notes made depending on who the starting pitcher is. As the game goes on, some of the things we talked about before the game might get thrown right out the window, because that hitter might be feeling really good today or really bad and the notes we have on him aren't necessarily good for that particular day. If that is the case, I'll look at the corner outfielders and we will move accordingly. As the game goes on and pinch-hitters come in, the score changes, and the end of the game nears, I look at Van Slyke to see if he wants us to move back, in, keep the hitter off second base, or play normal. We have a lot of hand signals that we can use to communicate with each other, because sometimes it's loud and you can't hear, but I still have to be able to move guys.

Rich (Port Huron, Mich.): Of all the ball games you have played in your career, do you have a favorite game, and if so why?

I would have to say the entire series against the Cubs last year, but not because we won. It was amazing to get a chance to play at Wrigley Field because I had never been on that field even though I lived 45 minutes away from it my whole life. The whole weekend was great. It was Father's Day weekend, 90 degrees every day, and a bunch of my friends and family were there. The biggest thing that stood out was when I led off the first game of the series, I heard "Let's Go Tiger" chants from a majority of fans there (remember we are the visiting team). I think half the seats were made up of Tiger fans that weekend. After the games it was amazing to see how many fans were wearing Tigers gear outside the ballpark and all up and down Michigan Avenue.

Chris (Chicago, Ill.): Being a famous ballplayer, you must get recognized many different places you go, both in Detroit and around the country. Do you have any funny stories of getting recognized in strange or sometimes awkward situations?

The most interesting one was when I was in New York with my dad during the playoffs last year. I was taking my dad around the city and we were about to get into a cab and a person saw us waiting for a cab and asked if I was Curtis Granderson. I answered yes, and he said "I thought so." I know that may not seem like anything too crazy, but we were right in the middle of Times Square during lunch time when it was packed and this person wasn't a Tigers fan or from Detroit, but just a baseball fan from New York. To me it was interesting to get recognized in such a busy place, where big-time celebrities are seen all day, every day.

Paul (Shelby Township, Mich.): I was at one of your first games for the Tigers two years ago when you were called up. In your third at-bat you got a triple, and half of the section I was sitting in was cheering you on to try to make it an inside-the-park home run. Do you think that you might be able to hit an inside-the-parker this year?

There are a lot of things that have to go right in order to get an inside-the-park home run. I have hit two in my pro career (one in the minors and one in the majors). You need the ball to hit a funny spot on the field and kick away from the fielders or you need a fielder to dive and the ball to roll all the way to the wall. The best places for it to happen I think are on turf, in low-cut outfields or in wet conditions. If an outfielder dives or it hits something funny there, the ball has a good chance to roll far away.

Dylan (Mt. Airy, Md.): While I respect the Boys in Blue, I could not stop laughing when Kenny Rogers poured that champagne on the police officer's head after Magglio's pennant-winning home run last year. What is the most creative victory celebration you've witnessed on or off the field?

I haven't seen this one, but someone mentioned that they did it in college. A player hit a walk-off home run and while he was rounding third base, his team was waiting for him at home plate to jump all over him. He said that he took his helmet off about half of the way there, and bowled the helmet into teammates and they all fell like bowling pins. I think that would be a really good one, but I'm not sure how the other team would take it, especially if you have to play them again the next day.

Shari (Grand Rapids, Mich.): Besides playing sports, what was your favorite part of college?

A couple of things. I was right in downtown Chicago and was able to get anywhere rather easily, so I was able to enjoy the city even more and really get to love it. Our meal plan at UIC was good too. I had access to Wendy's, Sbarro's, Subway, KFC, and other really good food almost whenever I wanted. At least I did every semester except for the last one when I graduated.

Tyler (Holland, Mich.): Do you have any favorite players from your childhood that still play or that you have played against?

I was a big Ken Griffey Jr. fan growing up. I had a lot of his cards, and actually still have a little poster up in my room at home of him. Gary Sheffield was one of my favorites because of how he hit, and how everything he hit was hard. I remember trying to swing like him and just couldn't get it down, because I wasn't quick enough.

Adam (Tauranga, New Zealand): Being a younger player, do you enjoy traveling all around the USA and experiencing all the fields?

I love the travel. I have a lot of friends and family all over the U.S., and it makes it easier for me to see them, because they always mention coming to Detroit to see me, and they don't. So sometime during the course of the season, we usually travel somewhere close to them. Seeing the fields for the first time is always a good thing. It is always fun to walk around before we have batting practice and see what makes each park different.

Ryan (Marshall, Mich.): Is there anything you really hate doing, such as going to a dentist, etc.?

Doing laundry because it takes too long. So this year I have become really lazy, and I just started bringing all my laundry (sheets, towels, clothes, etc.) to the field. I pay one of the clubhouse kids to do it. I need to find a bigger machine that I can put in my apartment or a laundromat so I can put all the loads into 2-4 machines and be done in the time it takes to do one load.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedFri Dec 28, 2007 7:23 pm

Education Administration.....what's not to love about Curtis??
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedFri Dec 28, 2007 9:37 pm

Quote :
I want to go back to school and get my master's
degree in education administration so I can go back to the college
level and work with student-athletes and compliance. I want to make
sure they remain eligible and take the courses to put them on the right
path to graduate.

I believe he will end up doing this, lets hope it is in 15 years though! He's such a great player.

Quote :
Do you have any favorite players from your childhood that still play or that you have played against?

I
was a big Ken Griffey Jr. fan growing up. I had a lot of his cards, and
actually still have a little poster up in my room at home of him. Gary
Sheffield was one of my favorites because of how he hit, and how
everything he hit was hard. I remember trying to swing like him and
just couldn't get it down, because I wasn't quick enough.

And now he plays with Sheff! What a childhood dream come true!
Back to top Go down
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedFri Dec 28, 2007 9:41 pm

Curtis did such a great job on his blog last season. I hope he continues it this season.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedFri Dec 28, 2007 9:57 pm

He said he plans on startig it up again around spring training. I wish he would do it year round! It would give us a lot of incite into the life of a pro player.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedSat Dec 29, 2007 2:56 am

He is the most candid ball player I have yet to see. Like Saint has said, what's not to love? Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Behind the scenes - Friday, April 27, 2007   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedWed Jan 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Behind the scenes

posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 | Print Entry

For today's blog, I am going to continue with my fan Q&A. A lot of people have been submitting some great questions, though it has slowed down some since I haven't been answering them as much. Every two weeks, my Friday blog will answer your questions, so get to asking! You can e-mail them to me at grandy@fullathletemarketing.com.

N. Adams (Monroe, Mich.): Your day seems like quite a long one, and you mentioned taking naps. Are the naps because you've had an extended break and are physically tired, or a normal part of your everyday routine?

Curtis:
I would love to nap everyday if I could, but there seems to be something going on everyday, so I have to wait and just sleep at night. When I do get up early, eat breakfast, then get some stuff done before 11 in the morning, I like to lay back down until about 1 p.m. and get fully recharged before I head to the field. Sometimes, I feel like I really need the rest because the travel starts to wear on us a little bit.

B. Petzold (Vassar, Mich.): What is it like to play in your hometown as a pro ballplayer?

Curtis: It is always good to play at home against the White Sox. This is the team I grew up watching a lot, and I attended a lot of their games when I was younger. Now, I get to play against Ozzie Guillen, who used to play shortstop and now is managing them. I also get to play on the field I used to watch games on when I was younger. My family and friends always turn out in high numbers as well so that is always exciting. In 2005, I had 60 people in attendance for the game in Chicago, when I got my first major league hit. The cool thing about it was they announced it on the jumbo screen. I know that doesn't seem like much, but you have to remember, we were the visiting team, so they normally don't do that. I think the White Sox knew I was from Chicago, so I thank them for doing that.

Zach (Cincinnati, Ohio): Should the schedule be changed to avoid the problems caused by the weather, or what is your opinion on some of the suggestions by others like shortening the season or starting all the cold-climate teams on the road in either warmer areas or domes for the first week of the season?

Curtis:
It is hard to answer that question, because even if the schedule were adjusted to play in warm-weather cities or domes in the first few series, eventually, the cold cities would have games the next week into the season. For example, this season, even after playing cold games in Detroit, it was still cold in Kansas City and Baltimore the following road trip, and there could have been nothing done to avoid that. The shortening of the season, I think, would cause too many problems in terms of breaking tradition and all the previous records that have been established. It would be an interesting idea to play in just May through August, but too many things would be lost if that were done.

Melissa (Saginaw, Mich.): I would like to someday play or manage in MLB. Do you think it is possible for a woman to do this?

Curtis:
I think that it is possible for you or any woman to accomplish that. I'm not just answering that to be politically correct, but you are seeing signs of it now: A female umpire, Ria Cortesio, worked a spring training game during the Cubs game, and also the assistant GM and vice president for the Dodgers is a woman named Kim Ng. I can't answer when that will happen, but it could be sooner than you think.

Jimmy (Hawley, Minn.): You stated that in Kansas City you like their barbecue, and crab cakes in Baltimore, but what menu item appeals to you when you're in Minneapolis?

Curtis: That is one place I'm not too sure what they're known for. On my past few visits to the Twin Cities I ate at a really good place called Bellanotte, which not only has very good food but also very good atmosphere. They had a specialty, if I remember correctly, of purple mashed potatoes. They told me it was from a potato that is originally purple before you even cook it, and they taste really good.

Another thing that's really good can be found at the Marriott in downtown Minneapolis. The Northern Shores Grille has this dessert called the Double Devil. I think it might be one of the best ever. It is a fresh baked brownie that comes on its own skillet, straight from the oven, with ice cream, whip cream and hot chocolate on the side -- the perfect mix of sweet chocolate (not too dark) and sweet vanilla.

J. Drenten (Parts Unknown):
I've been wondering what did you do for a high school job?

Curtis:
My first-ever job was when I was 14. I worked for the Public Works Department, doing park cleanup (cutting grass, painting curbs, painting fire hydrants, etc.), in the village I lived in. When I was 16, I still worked for the village, but I was a camp counselor for young kid's summer field trips, giving art lessons, running basketball tournaments, etc.

Anthony (Los Angeles, Calif.): Do you guys participate in any baseball fantasy leagues? It would seem sort of fun to be trading yourself or teammates amongst one another.

Curtis:
For me, there are too many games to keep up with to try and do fantasy baseball. I liked fantasy football when I did that in college online, and won my league, but I only played for one year. The next year, I tried fantasy basketball, but I kept forgetting to update my lineup, and I didn't do too well. So if I were to do it again, I would do football, because I really only have to worry about once a week and, for the most part, only Sunday and Monday.

Aaron (Southfield, Mich.): How do you handle taunts on the road, and which cities have the best taunts?

Curtis: Most taunts aren't original, so they get kind of boring. The "you suck" chant is very old -- if fans can't think of anything better to say, they should be quiet. I like the original things that I normally don't hear. When I hear those, I'll just turn and look at whoever said it and smile and laugh to let them know I thought it was funny. Most of the time, I can't hear everything that is being said because people are trying to say too much. You have to remember that when you are trying to yell something, your voice distorts a little bit, and if you are trying to yell a lot of words, it's really hard to understand. So to the fans trying to get our attention, keep it short, and original.

Ron (Parts unknown): What advice do you get, and how great is it to have an all-time great like Al Kaline in spring training?

Curtis:
Mr. Al Kaline is a great person to have around. He really isn't there to instruct all the time, but mainly serves as an icon of things to strive toward and accomplish. He does work with the outfielders occasionally during spring training, and we are able to ask him questions then, but it really is just good to have him around, as well as Willie Horton and Lou Whitaker.

Numerous fans: What kind of music is on your iPod?

Curtis:
I have all types of music from hip-hop, R&B, Motown, jazz, reggae, and rap. I even had some country on my old iPod. Then it crashed, and I lost all my music. Since then, I haven't been able to replace my country genre on my iPod.

Thanks for all the great questions. Keep em' coming!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedThu Jan 03, 2008 3:55 am

nice!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedThu Jan 03, 2008 6:07 am

As usual, Curtis is THE MAN!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Curtis Granderson Web-blog   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedFri Feb 29, 2008 12:41 am

Kids should give baseball a try
posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 by Curtis Granderson
at: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=granderson_curtis

Black History Month is almost to an end, and I thought I would write about a couple of related things before we hit March.

Black History Month is a great time for not only people of color to recognize the past, but also people of all races and color to remember some of the great African-Americans in history. Since we are down in Florida for spring training, I would just like to touch on Jackie Robinson real quick. If you are a baseball fan, of course, you know he was the first recognized African-American baseball player. He paved the way for great black ballplayers to get a chance to play this great game of baseball, and also gave me the opportunity to play now.

Even though Jackie paved the way, the number of African-Americans playing in the major leagues is way down; it's 8 percent now compared to 30 percent just 30 years ago. I'm not upset or trying to say that we need to have more black ballplayers in the big leagues. It's just interesting to me how few black kids are playing baseball now than when I was young. Even in the minors and in college, the numbers of blacks playing are down. In the minors it's 4 percent, and in the College World Series last year it was about 3 percent.

It starts at a young age; kids, especially in the inner city, just aren't playing anymore. The interest to even begin playing baseball is getting lost. I understand that basketball, football and other sports are popular, and I don't want anyone to give those up, because I also played basketball. I just want to keep up the interest in baseball, so kids have other opportunities to not only learn teamwork and discipline, but to potentially get a chance to go to college -- maybe on a scholarship -- and possibly make a career out of a great sport.

It is important for kids, whether it is in inner cities, suburbs, or anywhere, to understand that they should try as many activities as possible.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 10:02 am

love :curtis: !!!!!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon Mar 10, 2008 11:48 am

From Curtis Granderson's Web-blog

Quality bats in lineup
posted: Saturday, March 1, 2008

Our lineup this year is getting a lot of hype and press, even though we have only played three games. We have some great bats returning to the lineup plus the additions of Miguel Cabrera, Jacque Jones, and Edgar Renteria.

The most interesting thing about our lineup is that it can get mixed and matched up almost everyday if Leyland really wants too. Even if it's mixed up, the guys who might bat in the No. 7, 8, or 9 slots have had great hitting careers and are coming off good hitting seasons.

If I remain at the top of the lineup, it is almost some added pressure with the additions I mentioned earlier. Speaking to Lou Whitaker today, he mentioned that if the No. 1 and 2 guys in the lineup don't get on, then there aren't 100 RBIs to be had by our No. 3, 4 and 5 hitters. So my job, which is very similar to last year, is to get on base any way possible.

I'm working on bunting, and hopefully it can become a weapon to add to the ways I get on base. Trying to cut down the strikeouts is also another way to help those RBI numbers for those guys too; even if I don't get a hit in those at-bats, if I put the ball in play, and there is an error or any other possible way of getting on base, it gives those guys another chance to drive me in.

Hopefully, this season will bring a lot of excitement to see guys in our lineup have great seasons. The fans who were part of the 3 million who attended games in Detroit last year got a chance to experience that. Single-season tickets for this upcoming regular season just went on sale, and I hope we can get another large turnout of great Detroit fans (who I want to thank again) to see it.

Also today, I want to announce the launch of my Grand Kids Foundation web site, which is at www.GrandKidsFoundation.org. I want to thank Ryan Peralta for designing the site and getting it up and running. Our future events will be posted there, and you can make donations online. Together we can make a difference!

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon Mar 10, 2008 11:51 am

From Curtis Granderson Web-blog

Getting some time to rest
posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Days off in spring training are a little bit interesting, and many times rare, to get. Jim Leyland actually gave me two consecutive days off recently. Now, a day off still means I have to work out during the morning, but there isn't a chance of me playing at all during the game.

The first one came Saturday here in Lakeland when I was getting some early work done in the batting cage. Rafael Belliard, our infield coach, came into the cage and said skip (Leyland) wanted to see me. At first I was thinking 'uh oh, what did I do wrong?' When I walked into the managers' office, the rest of the coaches and him were sitting there, and no one said anything. I thought I was just traded or something.

Leyland finally began to speak, and he said, "after the workout this morning, you are done for the day, and you can go home." He later told me that I wasn't going to travel the next day to Winter Haven to play against the Indians.

Now I'm thinking to myself that I'm not tired, so why am I getting all these days off, not to mention I'm also didn't travel to Kissimmee today. Jacque Jones' locker is right next to mine and I told him I wasn't playing, and he said "you have to look at it this way -- [Leyland] is resting you now so that come August and September you won't be as tired." Jacque also mentioned that there is really no point for you to get 100 at-bats during spring training. He knows you are working on your stuff to get ready for the season, but you also have to be rested and not peak down here so early.

After hearing Jacque tell me that, it made a lot of sense. There really is no reason now to get all these at-bats this early in the spring, and get worn out before the season even starts. Now that I understand that, I look forward to these off days. I take it as a day to rest and relax and get a few things done, such as loads of fan mail I haven't gone through, much of which is still from last season.

I also want to let some fans know that if you sent stuff during the regular season last year, I didn't forget about getting back to you, I just didn't get the time. I will do it all and send it out in the next few months. Sorry it will be a little late.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 am

we gotta chill!
Back to top Go down
TrammMan
New York Yankee
New York Yankee
TrammMan

Male
Number of posts : 90
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Granderson- NON TIGER Carlos Pena
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon Mar 10, 2008 11:59 am

thanks for posting these. i dont visit espn site, so i would miss out on these.

austin
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon Mar 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Curtis should be in a baseball movie!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 7:55 am

Detroit's home to great fans
posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This past weekend in Detroit, there were a bunch of sporting events going on throughout the city. The Red Wings were playing in the NHL playoffs, the Pistons were playing in the NBA playoffs, and we had a tough series against the Angels. With all of that going on, we still managed to have over 36,000 fans at all three of our games against the Angels (and over 40,000 on both Friday and Saturday nights), even though both the Red Wings and Pistons had home games going on at the same time as our games.

The Sporting News tabbed us as the best sports city in America last year, and this past weekend was a great example of why. In some cities, the fans are diehard for either the hockey team and not the basketball team, or the basketball team and not the baseball team, but here in Detroit, everyone supports all four major sports teams evenly. Even though the Lions didn't have a game this weekend, they had the NFL draft, and there was a lot of buzz about who they would pick and who they ended up picking. I want to welcome all of those new draft picks to the city of Detroit.

Walking and driving around the city, you see all sports apparel represented, and it's amazing to see. Even when I travel to other cities, I'm surprised at how many Old English D hats I see around other cities or on TV, or in videos. Part of that could be people just love how that Old English D looks or they are from Detroit and have just relocated to another part of the U.S. but are still diehard fans.

Either way, it's great to see the support and hear about the knowledge that the Detroit fans have about all their sports teams, and it's great to get a chance to play

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Mon May 26, 2008 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 7:57 am

The beauty of Opening Day
posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Opening Day came and went just like that. Unfortunately for us, it came and went with a loss. The fans came out en masse, and it was a great sight to see. My drive into the stadium early in the morning took a little longer than normal because of all the people already out and missing work to see us play.

I made sure I was able to get my hand treatment done in time so I could make it out for player introductions. It was great to see and hear the crowd from the field, even though I didn't play. The only bad thing about this year's ceremonies was that you couldn't see the planes when they flew over (my favorite part) because the sky was overcast.

Brandon Inge made the start in center field and played great, both offensively and defensively. Inge also showed off his cannon of an arm, throwing out the Royals' Mark Teahen at the plate in the top of the 11th inning. Before and after the game, the media asked Inge and me whether I had given him any tips on what to do out there in center field. I'm not sure whether people had forgotten, but Inge had played center field in the past at Comerica Park, had played in center this spring and is very athletic. I think if we had a game and could afford to do it, Inge could play every position on the field in a nine-inning game. Once Inge is out on the field, his abilities take over, and he makes great plays, just like he did with that amazing throw.

All in all, Opening Day was a superb day (minus losing the game) -- and it didn't snow and the rain held off until later that evening.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 7:58 am

Hoping for a positive X-ray
posted: Saturday, April 5, 2008

I was a little confused about the date of my secondary X-ray. I was told we would do it two weeks from the injury. The injury happened on a Saturday (March 22), so I thought I was going to take it today. But the report wasn't made until a Sunday (March 23), therefore two weeks from that Sunday is, of course, Sunday. So tomorrow I will go in to get the checkup X-ray.

This is a little different for me, as it seems there is so much riding on an X-ray. I understand that it is, but I've never had to deal with this before. This X-ray will determine if I can start participating again in baseball activities or if I have to remain in this splint, possibly a new cast, or even a re-break if the bone isn't healing right. A bunch of thoughts are running through my head on this set of X-rays.

The good thing is that with today's technology I will get the X-ray results as soon as they do it, and there won't be any waiting around. They will also let me look at the results right away similar to two weeks ago when I broke it, so I'll either be happy if I know what I'm looking for, or slightly upset if I can tell something is wrong.

If the X-ray is good, then I will begin baseball activities ASAP. That will consist of first picking up a bat again, seeing if I can even swing it without too much pain, then trying to hit off a batting tee, and progressing to soft toss, batting practice and finally live pitching from a pitcher. I also have to throw and get my arm strength back, along with running on the field and also on the bases.

Hopefully, it all goes well tomorrow and the rest of the stuff comes back soon so I can get back to playing.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 7:59 am

Hold tight, Tiger fans
posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2008

First off, congrats to the NCAA men's Division I basketball champs, the Kansas Jayhawks. I also want to congratulate James Murray from La Porte, Texas, on winning my NCAA Tournament Bracket Challenge here on ESPN.com. James will win a signed bat by me.

Once arriving here in Boston on Monday, my main objective was to find somewhere to watch the game and also get something to eat. It seemed as if everyone in the city of Boston was getting ready for the home opener and the ring ceremony at Fenway Park, so no one really knew where to go watch the game.

I finally found a quiet place with a great view of the TV. I have to say that regardless of the outcome of the game, it was an instant classic. The fact that Kansas won only made it a little bit better.

I was able to carry over the excitement of the Kansas win into Monday where I began to throw and try to swing a bat again for the first time since I cracked the bone in my finger. I was nervous and excited about actually getting a chance to work with it, because I had no clue how the finger was going to feel. I didn't really push it too much, but I was able to throw, shag fly balls, and also hit off the batting tee for a few swings, so hopefully each day will get better and I can get back to playing ASAP.

As for our 0-7 start, I know it's tough from the outside looking at it, and it is starting to look ugly. We as a team know we are a lot better than we are playing right now, and we feel we will begin to play to our capability sooner rather than later. The good thing is this is going to test us as a team and see how we can handle adversity. All teams this year are going to go through a slump, and we unfortunately are going through one now at the beginning of the season.

I know the city of Detroit and the fans are getting upset with us, and rightfully so, but I ask you to continue to believe and keep following us, and we will get this thing turned back around soon.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:04 am

Answering your questions
posted: Friday, April 11, 2008

Last year I frequently answered your e-mails throughout the season. I will do the same this year, and this is the first such blog of the season. Some of these questions are left over from last season and a few are from this year. The only thing I ask is that you pay attention to what questions I answer throughout the season, as I will only answer a question once.

Q: What is the best thing about spring training? --Dan, Rochester, N.Y.

The weather I would say is the best thing. It's of course a lot warmer at that time of the year than being back at home in Chicago, or the beginning part of the season in Detroit. Also at that time, it isn't that humid yet, even though we did have a few extremely humid days.

Q: What advice would you give hopefuls or rookie professional athletes in adjusting to a professional sports player's lifestyle, but yet, also keeping morals and values in tact? --Tonya, Shaker Heights, Ohio

Don't forget what you did to get to the point to get where you are now, and also remember that there is still a lot more out there for you to accomplish. People who think they have it or have made it, end up getting passed very quickly. Those who continue to work and try to improve year after year are the ones who continue to stick around.

Q: Hey Curtis! I'm a 14-year-old Tigers fan. Do athletes actually drink Gatorade, as it is a heavily marketed product? --Jordan, Slinger, Wis.

It all depends on what is available for us at the park to drink. For example, in Boston they carried Powerade, so most guys drank Powerade. I've also tried Vitamin Water and like that as well. Cleveland carries Gatorade Rain, which I think is a little bit better than normal Gatorade. Overall, I'm not too picky on whatever drink choice is there for us.

Q: You have such a jackrabbit start as you head to first base that one would think you had a background in sprinting. Is this your natural form, or is it something you have to keep working on?--Nan, Adrian, Mich.

My background in sprinting only consists of 6th to 8th-grade track, where I ran the 100 and 200. At that age, we really didn't focus on form. It was all about trying to run as fast as you could. As for my form, I have been trying to improve that each year, as my strength coach feels that running more relaxed will actually help me become even faster, so hopefully it works.

Q: I enjoyed reading your blog all of last year and was excited to see that you continued it this season. How were your approached last year to write the blog and what made you decide to continue this season?--Ryan, Ferndale, Mich.

Last year it was more of a way to give information about what's going on in a baseball player's life. ESPN jumped on board and decided to take it. Also, by having a MySpace page, we were able to post info there. For this year, ESPN.com offered me the chance to do it again and offered to donate money to my foundation for me continuing to blog again this year. That's a win-win situation for everyone, and I want to again thank ESPN.com for letting me do this blog.

Q: Who do you think is the best player on your team?--Matthew, Parts Unknown

My favoriate and best player to watch is Carlos Guillen because he can switch hit, hit for power, has speed to steal bases and draws a lot of walks. I think he is pretty close to being a complete player in every aspect.

Q: If you designed your own major league ballpark from the best features of current parks, what would it be? I'm thinking stuff like: knowledgeable fans, clubhouse/locker/training rooms, history, food, field, bullpen, dugout, hotels, city, airport, etc.--Greg, Swartz Creek, Mich.

My new stadium would have the following features:

• Great fans that are very knowledgeable.

• VERY large clubhouses with numerous TVs.

• Great chefs inside the clubhouse cooking food.

• A large weight room and large batting cages for both teams.

• The field would be extremely low-cut like Anaheim, Houston, or Texas.

• There would be a retractable dome so we could play every day no matter the conditions outside.

• The dugout wouldn't be too big. Small enough, as the team is close, but big enough to have 25 guys with space.

• Concessions would include the basics (hot dogs, nachos, beer, pop, popcorn, and pizza) but also some different taste from all the areas of the world, for all the fans from all over the world.

• I would also want a rollercoaster visible in the stadium.

• A huge, clear HD display screen.

• Last but not least, cheerleaders or dancers. Winter leagues have them, the Marlins have them and every level of basketball and football has them (from pee wee to the pros), so why not baseball? There's nothing else going on between innings. Oh yeah, and no organs. Only a new, up-to-date sound system to play all types of music throughout the game.

Q: Do you ever look at the replays on the scoreboard after you make one of your harder catches? --Jason, Kent, Ohio

I do watch replays, but it's never when I make them. It's only when another guy on our team makes them or a guy from the other team is making them.

Q: What is it like visiting teams and cities you don't usually play against because of interleague play?--Luke, Philadelphia, Pa.

I like it. It's a chance for me to play in a stadium that I may not have played in before. It's also a chance for me to see some friends and family that are scattered throughout the states that I might not see otherwise.

Q: Do you and your teammates go online and vote for the All-Star team? --Aaron, Portland, Mich.

I voted for Jeremy Bonderman and Justin Verlander the years they were the last man in votes, but only once. As for the rest of the voting, I have yet to vote for anyone. We do a players' choice vote at the end of the year, and I'll vote for that, but never for myself.

To send me questions, e-mail them to grandy@fullathletemarketing.com.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Appreciate Inge, Thomas
posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A lot of people have been telling me, "The Tigers need you back." It's great to hear the support from the fans who want me back in the lineup or out playing center field again, but I think people are forgetting about the players that have been playing since I've been hurt (Brandon Inge and Clete Thomas) and how good a job they have done so far.

Brandon hasn't played in the outfield for a very long time but was able to jump right in and pick up right where he left off the last time he played that position. That's the reason I call him "Mr. Everything."

Clete, in my opinion, has one of the best arms in our organization, is a great defender and also a very good leadoff man. He has not only played center for us but left field as well. He has speed, with two stolen bases so far, and can also hit for power. He has two doubles and a triple.

Also, both guys are right around the .375-mark in OBP, yet there isn't much being said about them. I do remember a fan in Chicago (a White Sox fan) coming to me and wishing me luck in my return, but also mentioned that Clete has been doing a great job. I hope people are looking at what these two guys have been doing and realize they are playing extremely well for us. Because we aren't playing that well, people want to point to all the reasons why we aren't winning. Instead of focusing on my injury, take a look at what Brandon and Clete have done in my absence. They are doing great.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:09 am

First order of business: Rehab stint
posted: Friday, April 18, 2008

For the first time in my big-league career, I'll be starting a rehab assignment to return to the Tigers as soon as possible. My first game will be in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where I will play for the West Michigan Whitecaps. I'm nervous and excited all wrapped up in one.

This is almost going to be like the first day of spring training games in terms of seeing what I have skill-wise. I haven't seen a live pitch since the injury. I also haven't caught or fielded a live ball in the outfield since the injury, and I haven't run the bases in a game since the injury, so all of these things will be test for me.

I have never played in Grand Rapids, but I hear the fans pack the stadium and hopefully it will be packed this Friday as well. Every player who has come through there has told me they enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to it. After the game on Friday, I will be heading to Toledo to play pn Saturday and Sunday. Being in Toledo will bring back some fond memories for me. I had a great time playing for the Mud Hens in 2005. Toledo is a great city that doesn't get too much attention. The fans come out in large numbers, the ballpark is great and it's right in the heart of downtown Toledo. It has the city skyline feel to it.

I'm looking forward to playing in both Grand Rapids and Toledo. I'm also looking forward to seeing how my hand/finger will hold up and respond to the first few games, at-bats and throws from the outfield. I'm hoping all goes well soon, but I still have to be cautious because I have to get my timing down against pitchers and get my confidence at the plate back before I return to the Tigers' lineup. The frustrating thing about it is that there is no set date on when I'm supposed to return to the Tigers' lineup. Each day I play on the rehab assignment will put me one day closer to that answer. So all I can really do is go out there, play, and hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:13 am

Back from the rehab road trip
posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In my chance to go back to the minors for my rehab assignment, I was able to play in Grand Rapids, which I found out is the second largest city in Michigan. I missed playing for the West Michigan Whitecaps coming up through the minors, and making my visit for the first time was a lot of fun.

On Friday night in Grand Rapids, we played in front of about 10,000 people (capacity is right around 11,000 in the summer on weekends). All of the fans were loud and excited throughout the entire game. If you haven't had a chance to go to a minor league game, the experience is fun for the entire family.

While I'm out in the outfield warming up between innings, I get a chance to watch the different promotional activities that are going on. My favorite event, which I will never ever do, is the dizzy bat race. You can give me the biggest, fastest, highest ride in the world, and I'll do it, but if it spins around, I won't do it. I love watching the people become dizzy, try to run in a straight line, and then fall down.

Traveling to Toledo was also fun, especially because I played there before and it was fun to head back. The only thing that was difficult was the driving. I drove from Detroit to Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids to Toledo, Toledo to Grand Rapids, and then Grand Rapids to Detroit last night. Each time I then also had to get ready to play a game.

Going back to play with the Mud Hens and my former manager (Larry Parrish) and hitting coach (Leon Durham) was much needed, because these guys know my game and swing and what I needed to get back on track to start playing in the big leagues again.

I enjoyed my time doing my rehab in the minors, but I'm ready to get back to Detroit and start playing soon.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:15 am

Ready for my HD closeup
posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008

There is always a lot of hype about playing games on national TV (ESPN, FOX, TBS), and I'm amazed why that is. The national TV networks try their best to show a game that matches up two teams that the network executives feel people across the U.S. would want to see. They also hope that the game ends up being an exciting one so the viewing audience is happy.

On Saturday we will be playing the Angels on FOX at 3:55 p.m. Eastern time (I have no idea where that starting time came from), and on Sunday we'll play the series finale against the Angels on ESPN at 8 p.m. ET. Hopefully both of those games will be just as exciting as the first game of the series, which ended up being a 4-3 loss to Los Angeles -- but still a very good game.

We joke around in the clubhouse about the games being aired in high def and say that we all need to make sure we have our hair cut and be clean shaven, because if that camera zooms in on you, the audience can see everything. The fact that the people can see everything makes you a little self-conscious of what you are doing. Just something simple as scratching your nose could look like you are trying to pick your nose, and it'll be all over the blooper reel or the "not top 10" list.

My family and friends always tell me to wave or say something into the camera to them, but one of the things people don't realize is that I never know when the camera is on me. People will make comments saying, "You were looking right at the camera." Again, for those people, I have no clue when the camera is on, or what camera is on me, for that matter. It is fun, though, to know that at least for about a three-hour span people throughout the country get a chance to watch us play who couldn't make it to the game live.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:18 am

Detroit's home to great fans
posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This past weekend in Detroit, there were a bunch of sporting events going on throughout the city. The Red Wings were playing in the NHL playoffs, the Pistons were playing in the NBA playoffs, and we had a tough series against the Angels. With all of that going on, we still managed to have over 36,000 fans at all three of our games against the Angels (and over 40,000 on both Friday and Saturday nights), even though both the Red Wings and Pistons had home games going on at the same time as our games.

The Sporting News tabbed us as the best sports city in America last year, and this past weekend was a great example of why. In some cities, the fans are diehard for either the hockey team and not the basketball team, or the basketball team and not the baseball team, but here in Detroit, everyone supports all four major sports teams evenly. Even though the Lions didn't have a game this weekend, they had the NFL draft, and there was a lot of buzz about who they would pick and who they ended up picking. I want to welcome all of those new draft picks to the city of Detroit.

Walking and driving around the city, you see all sports apparel represented, and it's amazing to see. Even when I travel to other cities, I'm surprised at how many Old English D hats I see around other cities or on TV, or in videos. Part of that could be people just love how that Old English D looks or they are from Detroit and have just relocated to another part of the U.S. but are still diehard fans.

Either way, it's great to see the support and hear about the knowledge that the Detroit fans have about all their sports teams, and it's great to get a chance to play for them.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:20 am

Even better when the teams play well! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:23 am

Farewell, Yankee Stadium
posted: Friday, May 2, 2008

We just finished our last-ever regular-season series at Yankee Stadium. If you didn't know, this is the last year for Yankee Stadium; the new stadium is scheduled to open in 2009. It's interesting to see how many fans are trying to make trips out to see the stadium in its final season.

I received a few questions from the media in New York about what I'm going to miss most or what my greatest memory of the stadium is. My best memory: Game 2 of the 2006 playoffs, when Justin Verlander started and Joel Zumaya lit up the radar gun. My dad was able to make it to that game, and I remember him saying that it was the quietest he had ever heard Yankee Stadium after we won.

If I had to say what I will miss most about the stadium, it would be the fact that people refer to and know Yankee Stadium when they think of baseball. Even if you aren't a fan of the game, you know that much at least. I never got a chance to see the monuments out in left field or take the tour of the stadium that a lot of fans and players do. For me, my excitement was just playing there and being able to say that I got a chance to play there.

I'm really more excited to see the new stadium than sad to see the old stadium go. I like new things. I like newer stadiums better than older stadiums. I like the technology and creative ways that new stadiums stand out from others. After watching the preview video of the new Yankee stadium during batting practice, it seems that the major upgrades will make a more fan-friendly park in terms of the views of the field. I've heard rumors that the seats behind home plate in the new stadium will cost $2,500 a game. If that is true, hopefully these views and features are amazing.

I will be interested to see the locker rooms (size, upgrades, locker sizes, etc.), batting cages, dugout size and the display board. Those are the things I really enjoy about stadiums. Considering it's the Yankees, I expect that they will go above and beyond to make it one of the best places to watch a game, and I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm sure it will.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:40 am

Players often last to know
posted: Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The media is very interesting when it comes to reporting news in sports and how quickly the news and rumors hit the listening or reading audience. Yesterday, Leyland made a few changes to our lineup by moving a few guys around from where they were batting and also by switching up a few positions. For the most part, the move didn't seem too drastic except for letting Jacque Jones go, which I really surprised me. That's why I'm not the GM, and there's no reason for me to try to figure that stuff out.

Before the day began, I received about 5-10 text messages and phone calls asking if I was still leading off in yesterday's game. I responded with my normal response of "I won't know until I get to the stadium and see the lineup." By the fourth message, I started asking why everyone was asking me that question. They all started saying that it was all over the papers and radio that the Tigers were making drastic changes to the lineup and that I might be batting third. All this was news to me, and I was wondering how fans and friends were getting wind of this before I and other teammates even knew about it. I highly doubt that I'll bat in the middle of the lineup any time in the near future when we have guys like Magglio, Guillen, Cabrera and Sheffield, who are proven middle-of-the-lineup hitters, still with us.

Part of why we as players are normally in the dark is that most of us don't really read the papers until we get to the field, which is around 2-4 p.m. That is actually where I found out about the possible lineup changes. The second part is, of course, that most of us also don't listen to sports talk radio stations, so that was the other source that we were missing.

Rumors and speculation happen a lot in this game, and the players are usually the last to know. It's weird how that stuff happens.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_minipostedMon May 26, 2008 8:52 am

My superstitions
posted: Friday, May 9, 2008

It's time for another Q&A. Thanks to everyone for asking some great questions this time around. I hope you all keep trying to keep me on my toes.

Q: When on the road, where are your top three places to eat?
--Adam, Las Vegas, Nev.

Bellanotte in Minneapolis, Gates BBQ in Kansas City and Pappadeaux in Texas.

Q: What is your favorite thing about baseball?
--Alec, Parts Unknown and Garrison, Atlanta, Ga.

Getting a chance to play everyday in front of a lot of people, and do what I've been doing since I was a kid for a living and call it my job.

Q: When you guys go to the hotel when traveling, if some of the fans were to come up to you, would you hang out with them?
--Kristi, Parts Unknown

I would say hello to them if they said hello to me, but one thing you have to remember is, that person knows me only from watching me play and I don't know who that person is. I have to be cautious about anyone I meet because I'm not sure what their intentions are. If I'm with my friends or family, I'm trying to spend time with them, and I think when fans see us engaged in conversation with someone we know they still sometimes want to intrude and interupt. For the most part, all us players will at least say hello if we aren't doing anything, but while we are eating or sitting talking to family, just wait a little bit we'll say hi.

Q: Now that the NCAA tournament is over, how do you feel about people who fill out multiple brackets?
--Angela, Ann Arbor, Mich.

People are trying to increase their chances of being correct. I think a lot of people always pick their brackets like these few ways: They pick their favorite team to win (which is what I did with Kansas), they pick who they think will win (which again for me was Kansas), and the final one is all the upsets that people think will happen (which is pretty much how I did my bracket this year, but picked the wrong upsets). I have no problem with people trying to do different things to get it right. That's what makes the NCAA tournament so much fun. People who don't even follow college basketball will follow if they have filled out a bracket.

Q: What is your favorite city to stay in on the road and why?
--Don, Toledo, Ohio

Chicago of course is my No. 1 because it's home and there is a ton to do there from food to shopping. A sleeper city, which not too many people talk about, is Minneapolis. There is good food, good shopping (Mall of America) and we are really close to the dome. So travel to and from the field isn't that much for a cab ride. In Houston our cab rides were almost $25, but Houston was in a good area for food and shopping, too.

Q: What eligible players do you think should be in the Hall of Fame that are not yet?
--Jason, Fort Thomas, Ky.

I don't really follow the HOF that much, or people's career stats, but the biggest one would be Pete Rose. I feel that people should be put into the Hall of Fame based on their production on the field during their career, and I feel he had one of the best careers.

Q: If you could meet and spend an hour with any single person, living or not, who would it be?
--Matt, Billings, Mont.

Jackie Robinson, to see how it was making the transition from the Negro Leagues to the major leagues and crossing the color barrier.

Q: What are some of the superstitions that some of the guys on the team have?
--Tristan, Windsor, Ontario

I don't know about most guys on our team, but Marcus Thames doesn't like for pitchers to touch his bat before a game. Mine is basic: I just have gum in my mouth and never touch my helmet with my hand while I'm in the batter's box unless it falls off for some reason. Big Smile

Q: Do batters intentionally foul off pitches until they get a pitch they like?
--Brett, Howell, Mich.

It's hard for a batter to say he's going to foul a pitch off, but what does happen with two strikes is that we try our best to fight off a pitcher's pitch that might be a strike -- a pitch that we probably couldn't hit. By doing that, hopefully you get another pitch during the at-bat that you can handle better.

Q: What is the experience of a rehab stint like? Specifically, since you know your time there is limited, do you bother spending time getting to know your temporary teammates? During games, do you have any focus on winning the ballgame, or are you strictly working on rehab?
--AC, New Baltimore, Mich.

Well a lot of the guys that I did my rehab with, either I have played with somehow in the minor leagues, either on the same team, or against during an intersquad spring training game. If that hasn't happened, we are down in Florida for a good amount of time with all the guys from most of the teams, except for this year's draft class (which is in June) so I have at least met most of the guys once. Also, while I'm down there rehabbing, we are still trying to win. So in order to win, you have to know the team and know how guys work, and what they are thinking. It's a quick process, but we are still part of the Tigers organization.

You can send your questions to me at grandy@fullathletemarketing.com.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG   NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

NOTES FROM GRANDERSONS ESPN BLOG
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next