DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Willie Horton: Christmas came early

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Willie Horton: Christmas came early Empty
PostSubject: Willie Horton: Christmas came early   Willie Horton: Christmas came early Icon_minipostedMon Dec 17, 2007 5:45 pm

Monday, December 17, 2007

Terry Foster: Terry's Town

Horton: Christmas came early

DETROIT -- Former Tigers slugger Willie Horton wishes his sister, Ruth Roby, were still around. She ran around two years ago telling people the Tigers should get third baseman Miguel Cabrera and pitcher Dontrelle Willis.

Well, Tigers president Dave Dombrowski finally listened and Ruby would have been thrilled to see her dream trade come true. The Tigers got Cabrera and Willis, and they have been the most-talked-about team in the majors this offseason. Unfortunately, Roby was not around to see the trade. She died a month ago.

"She would have loved this," Horton said. "She was a die-hard fan." Horton said the Tigers' offseason has been so outstanding that you cannot mention the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees without mentioning Detroit. The Tigers drew more than 3 million fans last season. The excitement for baseball is at an even higher pitch and they should get even more fans next season.

Oh, yes. That's right. They also signed a young man named Edgar Renteria, who takes over at shortstop for new first baseman Carlos Guillen. "This is like Christmas come early," Horton said. "You can walk on the field and look (the Red Sox and Yankees) in the eye. We can stand up to them now. You got to have the right people and the right chemistry. That is why I feel comfortable with the people we have. I see good things at the end."

Willis rebound expected

There are concerns about Willis. He has been an outstanding pitcher, but last season's 10-15 record and 5.17 earned-run average were his worst as a professional. Horton expects a rebound. He said many of Willis' teammates from the 2005 World Series were traded and it was apparent that the Florida Marlins were saving payroll.

"He still has a real good arm," Horton said. "It is one of those things about environment. You are on a championship team and then you look around and you don't have any of those guys around and that means a lot. You can lose interest very fast when the people you are with are gone."

Eager for Detroit

Willis said he can't wait to get to Detroit to do community work and also attend a Pistons game. He is a big admirer of Rasheed Wallace and has seen the Pistons play the last year in Oakland and Miami.

"You know, that shows how big the Pistons are in Detroit," Willis said. "Ever since I said I liked 'Sheed everybody asks me about them. All those guys are great. Tayshaun Prince and 'Sheed and Chauncey Billups all came up to say hello. It is great to get respect from those guys. It makes you feel good as a professional athlete. I can't wait to get up there and check them out."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Willie Horton: Christmas came early   Willie Horton: Christmas came early Icon_minipostedMon Dec 17, 2007 9:16 pm

Go Tigers!

Can't wait for the season to begin!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Willie Horton: Christmas came early   Willie Horton: Christmas came early Icon_minipostedMon Dec 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Quote :
Oh, yes. That's right. They also signed a young
man named Edgar Renteria, who takes over at shortstop for new first
baseman Carlos Guillen. "This is like Christmas come early," Horton
said. "You can walk on the field and look (the Red Sox and Yankees) in
the eye. We can stand up to them now.

I love this, Go Tigers!
tiger
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Trinita
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Trinita

Female
Number of posts : 431
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Willie Horton: Christmas came early   Willie Horton: Christmas came early Icon_minipostedTue Dec 18, 2007 2:55 am

How many days to ST?
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Willie Horton: Christmas came early   Willie Horton: Christmas came early Icon_minipostedTue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am

I have to admit I am quite "stoked" about this.
I had called for a Cabrera/Willis acquisition on the "other" boards back in November.
I had no idea that it could actually happen.....
Yeah, we gave up a lot.... BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!

Willie's sister had excellent taste!! Halloween RIP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Willie Horton: Christmas came early   Willie Horton: Christmas came early Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Willie Horton: Christmas came early
Page 1 of 1