DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Elijah Dukes to Nationals?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Elijah Dukes to Nationals? Empty
PostSubject: Elijah Dukes to Nationals?   Elijah Dukes to Nationals? Icon_minipostedMon Dec 03, 2007 6:08 pm

Dave Sheinin just confirmed what I've been trying to for the last couple hours -- that troubled Tampa Bay outfielder Elijah Dukes has been dealt to the Washington Nationals.

We do not yet know who was dealt in return.

This jives with what I heard this morning, that the Nationals are not yet done moving in the outfield. Dukes was a rookie for the Rays this past season, but he made far more news off the field. He is 23, extremely talented. But his wife also accused him of making threats to her on her cellphone. He has been arrested many times (I'm working on getting the details).

So there's lots of questions that arise once this thing is announced, questions of character -- which makes the ones surrounding Lastings Milledge seem minor -- as well as questions of where he would play for the Nationals, who would have Wily Mo Pena, Milledge, Austin Kearns and Dukes as potential starters. Dukes is also a right-handed hitter, which wouldn't help balance the Nationals' right-handed heavy lineup.

Will get you more as I can. Back to the lobby.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Elijah Dukes to Nationals?   Elijah Dukes to Nationals? Icon_minipostedMon Dec 03, 2007 6:08 pm

Some details on Dukes

OK we just had someone with knowledge of the situation explain how this went down. Indeed, Stan Kasten and Jim Bowden had an off-site meeting this morning at a hotel near the airport with Elijah Dukes. Also present, according to the source, was Dmitri Young, who has some personal knowledge of Dukes because his younger brother Delmon was with Dukes in Tampa - they rose through the system there, and were supposed to be the offensive players around which the Rays were supposed to be built.

In return, it appears the Nationals are yielding only a "player to be named later." That's what one official with knowledge of the talks told me. Tampa needs a roster spot (though former National Josh Wilson was just claimed off waivers). The buzz does not seem to be that the Nats will be giving up anything of significant value. This is a "take-a-troubled-player-off-the-hands-of-another-team" deal, it seems.

This morning's meeting was obviously to discuss character, struggles, etc. Get past that for one second, though, and listen to what Dan Jennings, the scout who originally signed Dukes with Tampa, just told Sheinin:

"I think it's probably a good move for the kids. He is extremely talented. He has every tool you'd want, with good up-side still there. I think it's good for him and his career to get out of the Tampa area."

Jim Bowden obviously has a history with reclamation projects (see his most recent: Young, Dmitri) and likes giving second chances. But I asked one official what they do now with four starting-caliber outfielders - Kearns, Pena, Milledge and Dukes. "You can't have too much," the guy said. "You always need more."

This will be very interesting to see how the Nationals frame this addition.

We do know that they have been keeping tabs on Dukes. Tim Tolman, the third base coach, is Dukes's coach in winter ball in the Dominican Republic. Dukes had no problems down there - until the other night, when he was ejected and got in the face of an umpire. Still, Tolman has been vouching for Dukes, and I have talked to three people today who saw him play down there and said he was just phenomenal.

Meeting with club officials is in 90 minutes. I'll get you as much as I can before and after.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Elijah Dukes to Nationals?   Elijah Dukes to Nationals? Icon_minipostedFri Dec 07, 2007 2:39 am

Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elijah Dukes to Nationals?   Elijah Dukes to Nationals? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1