DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Young arrested, could face hate-crime charge

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Young arrested, could face hate-crime charge Empty
PostSubject: Young arrested, could face hate-crime charge   Young arrested, could face hate-crime charge Icon_minipostedSat Apr 28, 2012 12:34 am

Tigers outfielder involved in confrontation at New York hotel
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/27/12 6:40 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Tigers outfielder Delmon Young was arrested early Friday morning after he allegedly assaulted a man in front of a New York City hotel. He will be charged with aggravated harassment, a charge that could be escalated to a hate crime, a New York Police Department spokesman told MLB.com.

"We are aware of the situation; however, it is our club policy not to comment on pending legal matters," the Tigers said in statement. "As we understand it, this is an allegation and we need to allow the legal process to take its course. It would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time."

Major League Baseball spokesperson Pat Courtney confirmed that they're following the situation.

"We are looking into it," Courtney told MLB.com in an email. "As this is a current police matter, we cannot comment any further at this time."

A source in the NYPD's public affairs office said the case was being investigated by the department's hate crimes task force, but Young was not charged with a hate crime as of midday. He was in custody and awaiting arraignment.

"There was some language used that we have to look into," a police source told MLB.com, and added the hate crime would fall under race/religion.

Young's representatives released a statement on behalf of Young Friday evening.

"I sincerely regret what happened last night," Young said in the statement. "I apologize to everyone I affected, the Ilitch family, the Detroit Tigers' organization, my teammates, my family, and the great Tigers' fans that have supported me since day one. I take this matter very seriously and assure everyone that I will do everything I can to improve myself as a person and player."

Young's attorney, Dan Ollen, said Young will be unable to make further statements while the legal process is ongoing.

"Let me be clear, there are many false allegations regarding the actions of my client," Ollen said in a statement, "and I am confident that the legal process will separate fact from fiction and discredit these reports."

Detective Joseph Cavitolo told the Detroit Free Press that were there "some anti-Semitic remarks" made during the incident.

According to the NYPD, the incident began as a verbal dispute and turned physical. Officers got involved at 2:41 a.m. ET at 1335 Sixth Ave., just outside of the Hilton hotel, where the Tigers are staying while they take on the Yankees this weekend.

Cavitolo told the Free Press that it began with a group of four men and a panhandler wearing a yarmulke.

"They have a discussion and the panhandler leaves," Cavitolo said

The victim, a 32-year-old male, suffered minor injuries and refused treatment. Young was taken to Roosevelt Hospital for treatment, reportedly to sober up, and was released to the police. He was being processed and was awaiting arraignment.

"Per a provision in the Major League Baseball Basic Agreement, any allegation that involves alcohol is referred to MLB's Employee Assistance Program," the Tigers said.

By itself, aggravated harassment is a misdemeanor. If it is deemed a hate crime, the district attorney could choose a more severe charge for Young, according to a police spokesman.

"Anti-semitism certainly has no place in the game, either on or off the field," the Anti-Defamation League said in a statement. "We hope that Mr. Young will take the necessary steps to apologize and ensure that his alleged anti-Semitic words do not reverberate and do lasting harm."

Young was not in the starting lineup for Friday night's game against the Yankees. Manager Jim Leyland let it be known he is referring all questions regarding Young to team president and general manager Dave Dombrowski, who was due to arrive at Yankee Stadium later Friday afternoon.

The Tigers arrived in New York on Thursday evening after being swept in a series against the Mariners in Detroit.

Young, a top overall Draft pick of the Tampa Bay Rays in 2003, was suspended for 50 games by the team in 2006 after throwing a bat at an umpire and hitting him in the chest during a Minor League game. He had no known history of incidents with the Tigers since Detroit traded for him from Minnesota last August.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Young arrested, could face hate-crime charge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young arrested, could face hate-crime charge   Young arrested, could face hate-crime charge Icon_minipostedSat Apr 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Young arrested, could face hate-crime charge InCptg5C

Tigers outfielder Delmon Young exits a Manhattan criminal court after posting bail on Friday. (Louis Lanzano/AP)
Tigers place Young on restricted list
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 04/28/12 11:21 AM ET

NEW YORK -- The Tigers have taken outfielder Delmon Young off the active roster for the time being.

A day after his arrest for aggravated harassment, the Tigers placed Young on Major League Baseball's restricted list Saturday, pending an evaluation at the beginning of next week.

The Tigers cited a provision in Major League Baseball's Basic Agreement in making the move. Young's arrest was an alcohol-related offense, and Basic Agreement rules call for players involved in such matters to be referred to MLB's Employee Assistance Program. The Tigers referred to that provision in their statement on Young's arrest Friday, setting up their legal standing for the move.

Players on the restricted list do not count on either the 25- or 40-man rosters. In some cases they are not paid.

Young was arrested in the early hours of Friday morning after an incident in front of the team hotel in midtown Manhattan. After a brief stay in a nearby hospital, Young spent most of Friday being processed and arraigned. He was released on bail early Friday evening but did not join the team for Friday's series opener against the Yankees in the Bronx.

The Tigers played a man short Friday night, though they didn't run out of available players. They'll be back to full strength Saturday, with the arrival of infielder Danny Worth, who was recalled from Triple-A Toledo to take Young's spot on the 25-man roster.

Worth had batted .309 (17-for-55) with seven doubles, three homers and six RBIs since being sent down a couple weeks ago. He made the Opening Day roster as a utility infielder until being optioned out April 14, when Brandon Inge was activated from the disabled list.

Worth's arrival restores the Tigers to two extra infielders, which was their status before they released Inge on Thursday and called up slugging first baseman/designated hitter Brad Eldred. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll stay at two as long as Ryan Raburn is starting every day at second base.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: