DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Jason Hanson thread

Go down 
+2
bobrob2004
catbox_9
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 20, 2008 4:48 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Football should have one+ player(s) per team rant There's no reason not to - the roster has 50-some players. I can see basketball not having one/team, but that's it.

Hanson for the Pro Bowl! Greatest kicker in Lions history (even better than Eddie Murray!).

Eddie Murray is cool

During Lions Games; They have the Kroger " Kick for Cash Contest" in which people get 100 bucks for every yard [ off a tee] that they kick the ball.

Murray gives help to the contestant

Or at least that is what the Ford Field PA Announcer claims
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Hanson = MVP on the Lions
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 27, 2008 5:06 pm

gs78 wrote:

high 5

He missed 0 kicks yesterday and the perfect season remains intact!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Oct 27, 2008 6:23 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

high 5

He missed 0 kicks yesterday and the perfect season remains intact!

Hanson Rules
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Nov 10, 2008 5:09 pm

He's 19 points back of Stenerud for 9th place all-time.

Hanson for the HOF!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Nov 10, 2008 5:11 pm

GO HANSON
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Nov 27, 2008 4:52 pm

Jason Hanson booted a 53 yarder today....

He ties the NFL record (Morten Andersen) with 40 50+ yard field goals. He is 7-7 this year bow

One more and the record is his and only his.

Put him in the Hall of Fame!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Nov 27, 2008 6:38 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Jason Hanson booted a 53 yarder today....

He ties the NFL record (Morten Andersen) with 40 50+ yard field goals. He is 7-7 this year bow

One more and the record is his and only his.

Put him in the Hall of Fame!

50+ Yarders...

Hanson: 40-74
Andersen: 40-84

Hanson needed 10 less tries!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Nov 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Go Hanson! I feel sorry that he has to play with turkeys!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Nov 28, 2008 2:15 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

I know Frown
A part of me wishes that they'd release him so he could go win a Super Bowl elsewhere. He sure as hell won't get one in Detroit. If he moves on at some point I'll cheer for him wherever he goes. He's probably the only guy in any sport I'd follow closely if he switched teams that currently plays for a Detroit-based team.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Nov 28, 2008 2:53 am

catbox_9 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

I know Frown
A part of me wishes that they'd release him so he could go win a Super Bowl elsewhere. He sure as hell won't get one in Detroit. If he moves on at some point I'll cheer for him wherever he goes. He's probably the only guy in any sport I'd follow closely if he switched teams that currently plays for a Detroit-based team.

I be pissed if Hanson left
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Nov 28, 2008 3:09 am

Could you really blame him though?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Nov 28, 2008 8:50 am

catbox_9 wrote:
Could you really blame him though?

No
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Nov 29, 2008 4:38 am

Hanson don't want to leave though

I think he wants to remain a Lion
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Nov 29, 2008 4:38 am

Lions better not get rid of him either
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Nov 29, 2008 10:17 am

gs78 wrote:

They better get a new coach and better players to support him then! Nod
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Nov 29, 2008 6:11 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
gs78 wrote:

They better get a new coach and better players to support him then! Nod

high 5
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Dec 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Lions K Hanson 1 of the best for NFL's worst

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -The winless Detroit Lions don't have much to be proud about.

Jason Hanson is an exception.

He has made an NFL-high 95.5 percent of his field goals, a record 41 kicks from 50-plus yards during his career, and no one in league history has been more accurate on shorter field goals.

Hanson, though, doesn't earn much praise because the Lions are the NFL's first 0-15 team and are 31-96 since 2001 in what has been the league's worst eight-season stretch in more than a half-century.

"I've won only 31 games here, but I can say I'm playing with a Hall of Famer because he's a teammate," center Dominic Raiola said. "His resume speaks for itself."

Hanson's only miss this season was blocked. His eighth 50-yard kick - in as many attempts - earlier this month at Indianapolis broke Morten Andersen's career record.

He's made 87.1 percent of his kicks inside the 50, leading all kickers with at least 250 attempts.

The 17-year veteran has made 406 field goals, trailing just five kickers in the record books, since Detroit selected him out of Washington State in the second round of the 1996 draft.

But his second and last Pro Bowl appearance was in 2000 because he's been stuck with playing for the lowly Lions.

"Of course you think, `Would it have been different if I had gone to a high-profile team like Dallas, Pittsburgh or New England'?" the 38-year-old Hanson said. "But the special teams coaches, snappers and holders I've had here have helped me have the career I've had.

"My contract is up this year and they've started talking about a new deal. I want to stay here. I've been here so long, I want to finish in Detroit. I'd hate to leave, but you never know what's going to happen business-wise."

Hanson said his most memorable kick was in 2002, when he made a winner in overtime to beat the Chicago Bears and had just enough time to board a plane and fly to Washington to witness the birth of his youngest of three children.

He begrudgingly acknowledged if he makes a winning kick Sunday at Green Bay, it would rank No. 1 professionally because the Lions would avoid the stigma of being the NFL's first team to go winless since the schedule expanded three decades ago.

"It would be momentous," Hanson said. "Of course, no one wants to be 0-16.

"But I don't want to be thinking, `Oh man, the whole world is on my shoulders.' I don't want to be worrying about that when I'm lining up to kick."

Detroit hasn't won at Green Bay since 1991, but Hanson has made more field goals (20) than any visitor at Lambeau Field and he's only missed one attempt.

Raiola hopes the game is close enough that Hanson has a chance to win it.

"He'd make it," Raiola said simply.

Detroit coach Rod Marinelli, who spent a decade with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an assistant, said Hanson's work ethic and productivity reminds him of a few of the greats he coached: Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp and John Lynch

"He is so consistent, he's a model," Marinelli said. "I've been fortunate to be around guys like Brooks, Lynch and Sapp. He's just like them. His preparation is incredible. It would be fun to follow him around for a week."
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Bump

Thread stickied and the first post is updated. Hanson is #7!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Dec 27, 2009 10:58 am

Lions Q&A: Jason Hanson feels sad for Tiger Woods, likes Chick-fil-A's chicken sandwich
By Brian VanOchten | The Grand Rapids Press
December 27, 2009, 12:30AM

ALLEN PARK -- Twenty questions with Detroit Lions placekicker Jason Hanson.

Q: You're in the midst of a mini-slump, missing five of 10 field goals since mid-November, but you're still the NFL's all-time leader with 42 field goals from 50 yards or longer. How proud are you of that record?

A: It's good to still be able to make them, but I wish I was making more of them right now. I really have not a had a goal (of reaching 50 from 50-plus in his career). You just keep your kicking leg (in shape) so you can hit them and make ones you're supposed to make.

Q: You spend time in the offseason speaking to children and church groups about faith. What's your message to them?

A: My faith in Jesus Christ is the most important thing in my life, and it's a great chance to tell kids there's more to life than making lots of money, kicking balls and living on the television screen. It's a good chance to go into high schools and churches and youth groups to encourage them that God cares who you are. I try to do it as much as I can.

Q: Any nicknames?

A: Some guys on the team used to call me "Thunderfoot." It didn't really stick, but a few guys who know about it still joke about it.

Q: Your childhood heroes?

A: Pele. I was a soccer kid growing up. I used to have an indoor poster of Steve Zongol. I don't know why, but I had his poster and it was a cool poster. I was into soccer. I started playing soccer until my sophomore year in high school. My buddies all played football and I played soccer. They were like, 'If you're a man, you're going to come play football.'

Q: Your first job?

A: I punched out rubber washers at Knott Atwater in Spokane. I'm glad I'm kicking.

Q: What's in your iPod?

A: Don't get me started. I have everything. I love music. I have a heavy dose of contemporary Christian, I have tons of jazz, I got rock, I love country. I really love musicians, so I can listen to a lot of albums without words. My favorite artist ever is Steven Curtis Chapman, but I love Joe Satriani, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, the Yellowjackets. It's hard to say because I love it all.

Q: What's parked in your garage?

A: I have an '09 Ford Escape hybrid and my wife has a Volvo XC90.

Q: Your favorite fast food?

A: Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich. There's only one location in Michigan. It's at Oakland University. There was a kid who worked here who went to school there and would bring it down. So, I'm hooked now. It's real good.

Q: Your favorite movies?

A: The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy comes to mind first. I love the extended-version DVDs.

Q: Your favorite Web sites?

A: To goof around, I go to wimp.com. A little hidden secret. A guy takes the top 10 Internet things of the day and posts them. It's real low-key. I also go to DesiringGod.org. That's one of my favorite Christian Web sites. And it seems like I hit ESPN.com a lot for all of the latest sports news.

Q: Any magazine subscriptions?

A: If my wife gets "Better Homes & Gardens," does that count as mine? I'm not claiming it. But we get it. I get "Christianity Today" and "First Things."

Q: Any pets?

A: We've got a cockapoo, and I'm not claiming that one, either. Pippin. It's half hamster, I think.

Q: Any hidden talents?

A: I can play the trumpet. I haven't for a while, I did it all the way up until high school, but I can still remember my scales. I could still play something if I had to.

Q: Any superstitions?

A: No, lots of routines, but no superstitions -- warming up the same way every day, same stretches, same running, same timetable with getting ready on game day. It's just because I think it's smart.

Q: Your ultimate vacation spot?

A: To Alaska for salmon fishing. Now, for the family, I'd better pick somewhere warm to keep the peace. Hawaii. But if it's me and I'm deciding, it's Alaska to do some salmon fishing.

Q: Your favorite athlete to watch in another sport?

A: Tiger Woods. For athleticism, nobody was better. He was the best there was. I thought he was even underappreciated a little in terms of physical talent. I feel real sad for him. We'll see what happens. Up until now, he has been my favorite athlete to watch.

Q: If not football, what other career would you like to pursue?

A: I'd like to think medicine. I was pre-med coming out of college, but it seems so far from that now. I graduated in zoology, with a pre-med emphasis. Maybe an internist or a specialist. I've played football since college, so I'm now terribly unqualified for anything that sophisticated.

Q: If you were NFL commissioner for a day, what would you change?

A: That's a good question. I'd change the amount of money the rookies make. (Bigger contracts) should go to players who've proven their value instead of just mere potential.

Q: Your biggest fear in life?

A: Screwing up on the football field. I'm not handling it very well right now.

Q: Your bucket list?

A: 1. I'm going to Alaska salmon fishing; 2. I'm going to Alaska hunting; 3. Then do it again.

JASON HANSON STATS

Hometown: Spokane, Wash.

Size: 6-foot, 190 pounds

College: Washington State

Acquired: Selected by the Detroit Lions in the second round (No. 56 overall) of the 1992 NFL draft.

Scouting report: He is 16-for-23 on field-goal attempts and a perfect 23-for-23 on extra points, but has missed a field goal in six of the past seven games. ... He currently is the seventh all-time leading scorer in NFL history with 1,818 points. ... He became the seventh player in league history to surpass 1,800 points Nov. 22 against Cleveland. His extra point with no time left on the clock provided the winning margin in a 38-37 victory over the Browns at Ford Field. ... He has been with the Lions for the duration of his 18-year NFL career, making him the longest-tenured player in franchise history. ... Two-time Pro Bowl selection (1998, 2000). ... Lettered twice in football, three times in soccer and once in basketball at Mead High School in Spokane, Wash. ... His brother, Travis, kicked for the Washington Huskies from 1990-93. ... He and his wife, Kathleen, were married in 1992 and have two sons, Ryan and Luke, and a daughter, Jessica.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jason Hanson thread   Jason Hanson thread - Page 3 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Jason Hanson thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3