DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Guillen, Alburquerque to join Tigers on Saturday

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Guillen, Alburquerque to join Tigers on Saturday Empty
PostSubject: Guillen, Alburquerque to join Tigers on Saturday   Guillen, Alburquerque to join Tigers on Saturday Icon_minipostedSat Jul 16, 2011 3:31 am

Tigers optioned Worth and Perry to Triple-A Toledo
By Chris Vannini / MLB.com | 07/16/11 12:44 PM ET

DETROIT -- Two highly anticipated returns will be made on the same day for the Tigers.

Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski announced following Friday night's 8-2 loss to the White Sox that infielder Carlos Guillen and pitcher Al Alburquerque would be reinstated from the disabled list and join the Tigers roster on Saturday.

Guillen has been on the 60-day DL since March 30 after microfracture surgery on his left knee last September. While on a rehab assignment, Guillen hit .316 (12-for-38) in 11 games with the Mud Hens and reports were that he felt great.

"I haven't seen him play, but from what I've heard, our reports on him have been very solid," Dombrowski said. "He's been swinging the bat well. I talked to him Wednesday morning. He said he wanted a couple extra days, he felt he was getting there, swinging the bat well. He felt good at the plate, felt comfortable.

"He's caught the ball at second base very solid hands-wise and I think he'll be ready to come back and play."

Alburquerque had been placed on the 15-day DL with right forearm flexor mass inflammation on June 30. Alburquerque has been lights-out this season, allowing 15 hits and striking out 47 batters in 29 innings.

To make room for the pair, the Tigers optioned infielder Danny Worth and pitcher Ryan Perry to Triple-A Toledo.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Guillen would start at second base and likely bat seventh on Saturday.

"Obviously, Carlos is a very good veteran player that's feeling good right now," Leyland said. "It'll be good to see him and good to write his name in the lineup. Hopefully, we're going to get some production. I think the guys will be glad to see him, a veteran player, join us."

One player excited to see Guillen was Miguel Cabrera, whose face lit up when he was informed by reporters that Guillen would be coming back.

"That's big news for us," Cabrera said. "I'm excited to see my friend Carlos come in tomorrow. ... Everyone in the lineup, Carlos back, [Magglio Ordonez is] hitting right now, hopefully, we can start getting together and finally make a good run."

The Toledo Blade reported that Guillen was hit on the left knee by a throw on Friday, but he stayed in the game and appeared OK before being ejected for arguing a call.

Guillen hasn't played a Major League game since August of last season, but Dombrowski and Leyland both expect Guillen to contribute.

"We think he can still swing the bat," Dombrowski said. "Our reports are that he's swinging the bat very well down there. It took a while, after being out for a year, to really get to that point, but over his past five, six games, he's really started to swing the bat better."

Dombrowski said the only player with whom he had dealt that had a similar situation was Clete Thomas, who underwent the same surgery last June and returned for Spring Training.

"I've never really been through this surgery with an infielder. ... There's been some ups and downs, as they said there would be, so I really didn't know," Dombrowski said. "I'm glad to see it's worked out."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: