DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Charlie Furbush NEWS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Charlie Furbush NEWS Empty
PostSubject: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedWed Jul 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Charlie Furbush NEWS Ph_518703

Furbush enjoys solid start for Double-A Erie

By Jason Beck and Alex DiFilippo / MLB.com

07/07/10 7:36 PM ET

DETROIT -- Tigers pitching prospect Charlie Furbush has taken his breakthrough season to Double-A Erie, where he enjoyed his best start with the SeaWolves Tuesday night with seven innings and 11 strikeouts against Bowie.

Furbush, Detroit's fourth-round pick in 2007, was promoted to Erie in late June after 2 1/2 good months at high Class A Lakeland. While he went 4-5 with a 3.39 ERA with the Flying Tigers, the more telling stats were in the hitting. He struck out 109 batters over 77 innings against just 14 walks and 68 hits.

At Erie, the 24-year-old Furbush went seven innings in each of his three starts, but Tuesday was his first with more than four strikeouts. Combine his stats, and he's 5-5 with a 3.21 ERA between the two levels.

Meanwhile, Lakeland has its filled his rotation with Tigers top pitching prospect Jacob Turner. The 19-year-old also started Tuesday, allowing six runs on eight hits over 4 2/3 innings against Dunedin at Joker Marchant Stadium. He has allowed 13 runs on 21 hits over 12 innings in three starts for the Flying Tigers.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedThu Jul 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Tigers promote pitching prospect to Toledo

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

07/22/10 1:47 PM ET

DETROIT -- Charlie Furbush's breakthrough in the Tigers' farm system took him one step shy of the big leagues. The Tigers promoted their sudden strikeout king for the second time in as many months, this time from Double-A Erie to Triple-A Toledo on Thursday to start for the Mud Hens against Pawtucket.

It's a quick step up for the 24-year-old left-hander after just five starts at Double-A. But in a year when the Tigers have been aggressive in promoting their top pitching prospects and giving them a challenge, this is the next step.

Furbush, the Tigers' fourth-round Draft pick in 2007, began the season repeating Class A Lakeland, where he spent all last year after his comeback from Tommy John surgery. He went 4-5 with a 3.39 ERA with the Flying Tigers, but more impressive, he struck out 109 batters in 77 innings. An early-summer promotion to Erie yielded some early struggles, but he struck out 29 batters over 19 1/3 innings in his past three starts, pushing him to 37 strikeouts over 33 Eastern League innings.

Not only does Furbush lead all of Minor League baseball by a wide margin with his 146 strikeouts, he tops all of professional baseball, including the big leagues. Now he'll try to deceive some more experienced hitters in the International League.

To say Furbush was not a highly-touted prospect going into the season would be fair. Now, in a year where Casey Crosby has been shut down with elbow soreness, Jacob Turner has just started to adjust to the Florida State League and others have had mixed results, Furbush has made a strong case for Tigers Minor League Pitcher of the Year.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedFri Nov 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Tigers add six to roster, outright Ni to Triple-A
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 11/19/10 2:02 PM EST

DETROIT -- On the day the Tigers officially added Joaquin Benoit, they filled up the rest of their roster, too. Detroit purchased the contracts of six prospects to protect them from being available in next month's Rule 5 Draft. The Tigers also outrighted left-handed reliever Fu-Te Ni to Triple-A Toledo, keeping his rights but putting his Major League future in question.

Among the additions are Cale Iorg, the Tigers' shortstop prospect who has had an up-and-down career in the farm system, and left-hander Charlie Furbush, whose breakout season at Double-A Erie opened eyes. Detroit also added lefty Duane Below and right-handers Lester Oliveros, Jose Ortega and Brayan Villarreal.

None of the decisions are particularly difficult, team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said. Still, the implications are important.

Iorg was pegged as Detroit's shortstop of the future two years ago, when Dombrowski mentioned him at TigerFest as part of his reasons for encouragement about the Tigers' farm system. Realistically, the Tigers saw the promise in him way back in the 2007 Draft, when they selected him as a sixth-round pick signed him with a $1.5 million bonus. His first pro season at Class A Lakeland in 2008 and a Spring Training invite the next year gave reason to believe he was on a fast track.

Since then, Iorg has had a tough learning experience. While the Tigers have loved his defense, he hasn't been able to find consistency at the plate. He batted .211 at Double-A Erie this year with 10 home runs, 33 RBIs and 139 strikeouts in 110 games, but those numbers include a late-season tear that earned him a promotion to Triple-A Toledo. He hit .242 (16-for-66) with the Mud Hens with six doubles, a home run and nine RBIs.

The late-season run earned Iorg a return trip to the Arizona Fall League, where he struggled last year. He seemed on the same path this time around before going on another tear, this one a 13-for-22 stretch over six games to close out his season. He finished in Arizona batting .304 (17-for-56) with 11 runs, two triples, two home runs, nine RBIs and five stolen bases in 15 games.

"I think last time, I went out there still searching for something," Iorg said earlier this fall. "I went out there hoping I would find my rhythm there, as opposed to this year, I'm going out there feeling like I've already kind of got that rhythm. I know what I want to do. Now, it's just perfecting that.

"I'm not still out here searching. Last year, I went out there and still didn't know exactly who I was as a hitter. And now this year, I go out there and I know what I can do."

Though the Tigers re-signed Jhonny Peralta to play shortstop for at least the next two seasons, Iorg sees Detroit as a potential stop in the future. The Tigers were concerned enough that another team would take a chance on him that they had no debate about protecting him.

"He continues to make progress from an offensive standpoint," Dombrowski said. "He's an outstanding defensive player. We think his bat will be the key for him."

Furbush jumped from Class A Lakeland to Erie, then Toledo over the course of the season, using a low-90s fastball and a deceptive mix of pitches to rack up 183 strikeouts -- second-most in the Minors -- over 159 combined innings. He went 8-9 with a 4.25 ERA over 27 starts between the three levels.

Like Furbush, Villarreal was a midseason All-Star in the Florida State League for Lakeland, where he went 7-4 with a 3.47 ERA and 90 strikeouts over 85 2/3 innings before a late-season stint at Erie. He has allowed two earned runs over 19 innings with 11 strikeouts in 13 relief outings for the Caribes of the Venezuelan Winter League.

Ortega had a similar jump to Furbush, starting out at Class A West Michigan before getting promotions to Lakeland and Erie as a middle to long reliever. He went 3-4 with a 3.03 ERA and 61 strikeouts over 68 1/3 innings. Oliveros closed at Lakeland and Erie, racking up 23 saves while fanning 60 batters over 44 1/3 innings.

Below went 7-12 with a 4.93 ERA in 28 starts at Erie, striking out 103 batters over 126 innings.

The Tigers made a major foray into the Far East when they signed Ni out of pro ball in Taiwan. He was a second-half find in 2009, posting a 2.61 ERA with just 20 hits allowed over 31 innings. Once Ni made the Tigers' bullpen out of Spring Training this year, however, he struggled with command. He walked 19 batters over 23 innings while giving up 27 hits and 17 earned runs, good for a 6.65 ERA. The vast majority of that damage came in June, including a four-run, four-walk debacle against the Twins on June 29.

The moves leave the Tigers with one open spot left on the 40-man roster. They can sign a free-agent hitter without having to move somebody else, or they could potentially select somebody in the Rule 5 Draft.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedSat Dec 18, 2010 2:29 am

Furbush aims to continue rise into Tigers' staff
After skyrocketing through Minors, shot at bigs on tap in spring
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 12/17/10 11:00 AM EST

DETROIT -- Charlie Furbush rocketed through the Tigers' farm system last year, all the way from Class A ball to Triple-A Toledo. Could he top it in Spring Training by making the jump to the big leagues?

The Tigers aren't ruling it out. Instead, they're ready to give the left-hander a chance to prove himself.

"I think he's a guy that has a chance to come to camp and battle for a spot on our staff," team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said at last week's Winter Meetings. "[That] might be pushing him a little bit, but he's got good stuff."

For someone who has flown under the radar among the deep ranks of Tigers pitching prospects, it's quite a statement. But Furbush's 2010 season opened that many eyes.

While the Tigers have stockpiled pitching talent through the First-Year Player Draft in recent years, including current top prospects Jacob Turner and Andy Oliver from the 2009 Draft, Furbush has never been lumped among them. He has never ranked among the organization's top 20 prospects, according to Baseball America, though that could change this offseason after his success last season. Though he was a fourth-round pick in the same '07 Draft that produced Rick Porcello, his highest ranking was 21st the next winter after a 6-1 stretch in the Gulf Coast League and Class A West Michigan.

Furbush lost the 2008 season to an elbow injury that eventually led to surgery, then came back with an underrated campaign at Class A Lakeland despite a 6-7 record and 3.96 ERA.

The Tigers had him return to Lakeland for the start of 2010. He wasn't there long.

Again, Furbush finished just under .500 at Lakeland, but his pure pitching numbers were stellar, from a 3.39 ERA to 109 strikeouts over 77 innings. Ninety of those strikeouts came in his first 10 starts for the Flying Tigers. That earned him a midseason promotion to Double-A Erie, a move which was not at all a surprise.

"While I was working my way back, I had to learn to settle for just being as good as I could be on that day," Furbush told MiLB.com at the time. "But this season, I'm back to full go, and it feels good. I'm letting the leash go and showing them what I've got."

Furbush stepped up to the Eastern League and treated it much the same. He lasted seven innings in three of his five SeaWolves starts, pitched six innings in each of the other two, struck out 37 batters over his 33 1/3 innings and overcame five home runs to avoid the pitfalls of facing more experienced hitters.

With the Mud Hens in dire need of pitching depth in the season's home stretch and Furbush far from overwhelmed at age 24, the lefty got another promotion in August. That was a bit more of an awakening, with a 6.29 ERA and nine home runs allowed over nine Hens starts, but he still had his moments. And he still made an impression on then-manager Larry Parrish, who likes his deceptiveness and his pitchability.

"He had a real fine year for us last year," Dombrowski said. "He was out some before that, and he really bounced back and was dominating in A-ball for us and Double-A, and then [he] moved up the ladder. He continued to pitch well. He was second in professional baseball in strikeouts last year at the Minor League level.

"He has a solid breaking ball and a changeup. His fastball moves above-average. He's got a feel on the mound. We like him."

It was far from a case of overpowering hitters. Furbush's fastball sits a little above 90 mph, topping out slightly above that. But he throws it from a 6-foot-5 frame that gives hitters a tough time recognizing the pitch as the ball comes out of his hand.

"I don't know exactly what it is that I do, but everyone has always told me it's hard to pick up the ball out of my hand," Furbush said. "It's nothing I do on purpose; it's just the way I throw."

It's the kind of deceptiveness that some in the organization believe lends well to relief. And in an organization that has plenty of starting candidates but far less depth in lefty relief, it might be his best way to get to Detroit.

"That's something we still have to talk about, but I mean, we've never been against [taking] young pitchers," Dombrowski said. "And he's not 19. Furbush is 24, 25. If we got to Spring Training and our best club is with him in the bullpen and [manager Jim Leyland] wanted to take him, I'd say, 'Go take him.'

"Those are conversations we still have to have, but we've never been against that."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. Read Beck's Blog and follow him on Twitter @beckjason. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedThu Feb 17, 2011 2:01 am

Lefty Furbush has Tigers' attention
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 02/16/11 7:39 PM EST

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Charlie Furbush didn't rack up strikeouts last year by overpowering hitters. He did it in part with a deceptive delivery that takes advantage of his 6-foot-5 frame.

Tigers players and coaches are getting a good look at it this spring and figuring out why he ranked second among all Minor League pitchers in strikeouts last season and rose from Class A Lakeland to Triple-A Toledo along the way.

"I know there's something about how close he is to the hitter when he releases the ball," manager Jim Leyland said, "which is very interesting."

Keep it up, and he might be closer to the big leagues than he ever could've imagined years ago as a small-school kid in Maine who planned to pitch through college, earn his degree and go into sports management.

A strong summer in the Cape Cod League and an open scholarship at LSU changed those plans, and a strong stint in the SEC put real life on hold. But even that was tough to compare to his 2010 season, when his newfound health two years out of Tommy John surgery helped propel him up the farm system.

Add up his totals from three different levels, and Furbush racked up 183 strikeouts over 159 innings. Now, he has vaulted himself into the same conversation as top prospects Andy Oliver and Jacob Turner among potential Tigers insurance starters.

Leyland admits he hasn't seen a lot of Furbush. But he wants to watch him pitch.

"I'm really anxious to see him," Leyland said. "He's a real interesting guy, and I did get a very interesting report on him from somebody that's not with the Tigers that really liked him, that said how much progress he's made in the last year or so -- totally different-looking guy. It was a very encouraging report."

The difference in 2010, Furbush said, was health. It was his second year back from Tommy John surgery, the year most pitchers seem to feel their elbow is finally back at full strength.

"I was really excited just to be back to normal again," the 24-year-old said. "I felt great. I wasn't really expecting to be [at any particular level]."

Though he doesn't have overwhelming velocity, his size and delivery allows his fastball to come in sooner than hitters expect.

"It's almost like a Randy Johnson deceptiveness," catcher Alex Avila said. "Long arms, hides the ball well."

His deceptiveness raised some speculation that he could join the fray in the lefty relief battle, but Leyland all but ruled that out.

"I think we're focusing on him as a starting pitcher," Leyland said. "That's what he's been, and we're thinking along those lines."

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedMon Feb 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Furbush impresses Leyland, veterans alike
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 02/21/11 7:40 PM EST

LAKELAND, Fla. -- The Tigers gave lefty Charlie Furbush a challenge in his pitching session Monday by stacking veteran right-handed batters and switch-hitters against him, including Jhonny Peralta, Brandon Inge, Carlos Guillen and Ramon Santiago. It made little difference.

Only Peralta and Santiago made solid contact against Furbush, and they did it only once each. It turns out his repertoire and his delivery are pretty deceptive against right-handed hitters, too.

"I've heard that," Furbush said afterward. "I'm just going to keep doing it, hope that works to my advantage."

Santiago was impressed.

"One thing I see from him," Santiago said, "is good break on the slider."

That would be fine with manager Jim Leyland, who's still getting to learn him as a pitcher.

"He looked very good," Leyland said. "I watched him today. He was impressive. Delivery and all looks impressive."

Overall, Leyland said, he has liked the look of the young pitchers in camp.

"It looks to me like we have the potential for a lot more pitching depth than I anticipated," Leyland said.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedWed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Charlie Furbush NEWS KbNE2cqA
Charlie Furbush ranked second in the Minor Leagues with 183 strikeouts last year. (Toledo Mud Hens)

Ten Questions with Charlie Furbush
Tigers prospect postponed college degree for shot at Majors
By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com
03/02/2011 10:00 AM ET

Back in 2005, Charlie Furbush assumed he would graduate from college and take a job in sports management.

Six years later, he's at his first big league Spring Training camp and on the cusp of winning a spot on the Tigers' 25-man roster.

The 24-year-old left-hander spoke to MiLB.com about making the jump from Class A Advanced Lakeland to Triple-A Toledo in five weeks, lengthy bus trips and his deceptive delivery.

MiLB.com: You threw five complete games for St. Joseph's (Maine) College in 2005, were ranked the top left-handed pitcher in the Cape Cod League in 2006 and led LSU in strikeouts in 2007, but you still expected to graduate and embark on a career in sports management. When did you realize that professional baseball was a legitimate option?

Charlie Furbush: It was quite a journey, to say the least. I had always planned on going to St. Joe's for four years and seeing what happened after that. One of the teams we played in our conference had a coach who was also a coach in the Cape Cod League, and that was where it all started. At first, I was a [Division III] guy, then I was playing guys from D-I, then I got scouted by LSU and now I'm a Tiger.

MiLB.com: How have you grown and developed as a pitcher since you were selected in the fourth round of the 2007 Draft?

Furbush:
I've developed as a player and I'm continuing to do that today. I'm learning more and more about the game and about pitching and what works at different levels. And I'm still learning.

MiLB.com: You missed the entire 2008 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. How frustrating was it, considering how well you had performed in the Midwest League in your first year?

Furbush: I came in after being drafted and went to West Michigan and we won the league championship, so it was really fun to be a part of that. Then I had to have the Tommy John in '08, which was disappointing, but I worked hard. I had to get back to where I wanted to be, so I kept working on it.

MiLB.com: You made big strides in the organization after your surgery, especially in 2010, when you went from the Class A Advanced Tigers on June 15 to the Triple-A Mud Hens on July 22. How did you handle the changes of playing at three different levels within five weeks?

Furbush: I mean, I generally knew the majority of the people just through the Minors and through paying attention to the guys I played with in the organization. I knew some of the players and coaches on the teams above me in 2010, so it was a pretty easy adjustment, getting to know everybody else.

MiLB.com: You've had the opportunity to travel a lot with three Detroit affiliates. What are your impressions of the bus rides and the different cities you visit?

Furbush: There are a lot of long bus rides in the Minors, everyone knows that. You just have to battle through it and hopefully you won't have to keep taking them for long. We all have our own different ways of dealing with them.

I don't sleep too well on buses, so I try to stay up and listen to music or watch a movie. You just have to battle through the whole thing, you know.

I like going everywhere and seeing every place. I know that when I first got to Double-A we went to Richmond, and that was a cool stadium and a cool atmosphere. That was fun to play in. I love playing in Toledo, too.

MiLB.com: What were the biggest changes you noticed as you moved from Class A to Double-A and then from Double-A to Triple-A?

Furbush: As you move up, there are better players and you have to keep battling as you go through your career. I had to be a little more zoned in, and I wasn't able to get away with some things at Triple-A that I was able to get away with at A-ball. You have to be a little more aware and precise with everything you do.

Luckily, I haven't had to change my approach too much. I just go out there and pitch and have a good time. That's the approach I've always taken. When I get away from the things that got me there, that is when I struggle.

MiLB.com: You recorded 183 strikeouts over 159 innings last season, and people sometimes assume that you blow batters away with just your velocity. What role does deception play in your success?

Furbush:
The deception and delivery is something I use to my advantage. It's not something I try to do, it's just the way I throw. The way that it comes out of my hand is just hard to see, hitters have told me.

I'm constantly working on all of my pitches to be as consistent as I can be with the hope that I will pitch in the big leagues one day. Maybe on certain days I'll work on one pitch more than another, but I'm constantly working on them all -- my fastball, curve and change.

MiLB.com: How did you spend your winter before heading down to Spring Training?

Furbush:
I was living back home in Maine this offseason. I'm a fan of sitting down and watching TV and hanging out with friends. I go fly fishing sometimes, too. I spent time with my brother Jon for a little while; he's the head basketball coach at Bates up there, and my little brother Will is a junior at the college and he's playing for my brother. It's a kind of fun situation with both of my brothers up there.

Then I started throwing in December and stayed with my mother for the rest of the time, and I came back to Florida in January.

MiLB.com: Speaking of Spring Training, Jim Leyland said he wants to get a good look at you in camp. What have you been doing since you reported?

Furbush: Everything is going good. We're all here and working hard, and we're having a good time getting back into spring and getting prepared for the season. It's been fun. Everything we do here prepares us for the next level, so it's been good. I've been scoping everything out and having fun out there.

[Last year] was a fun year, but I'm really looking forward to this coming season.

MiLB.com: People are speculating that you could make the Major League team at some point this year. Have you thought about that yet?

Furbush: To be honest, I haven't thought too far ahead. I take it one day ahead and just go about my business. It's like on the mound, when I take it one pitch at a time. I just try to keep it simple and take care of the things that I can control.

I want to make the big leagues at some point during the season, so everything is working towards that goal.

Ashley Marshall is a contributor to MiLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedSat Mar 19, 2011 9:28 pm

Furbush among four Tigers cuts
By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com | 03/19/11 6:23 PM ET

LAKELAND, Fla. -- With 12 days left until Opening Day, the Tigers whittled their Spring Training roster to 35 Saturday, sending left-hander Charlie Furbush, right-hander Alberto Alburquerque and infielders Argenis Diaz and Scott Thorman to Minor League camp.

Furbush was seemingly in the running for a bullpen spot, but manager Jim Leyland wants him to start games in the Minor Leagues in case his club needs an emergency starter during the regular season. The 24-year-old gave up six runs and nine walks in 11 2/3 innings this spring.

"If you look at baseball, how many pitchers do they use over the year -- there's a lot of pitchers used," Leyland said. "Now we have [Jacob] Turner, [Andrew] Oliver, Furbush and [Duane] Below; get another guy down there getting ready for insurance. You need all you can get, and who knows? Who knows who's going to be called up if something goes wrong?"

Like Furbush, Alburquerque also had control issues this spring. The 24-year-old gave up five runs in 7 1/3 Grapefruit League innings and issued seven walks in the process, stemming mostly from an inability to get his fastball over for strikes.

"If he [corrects] that," Leyland said, "he'll be a big league pitcher for a long time."

Thorman was 4-for-26 with three RBIs. Diaz, mostly a shortstop, had just two hits in 11 at-bats, but impressed his manager with his defense.

"I thought that Diaz kid was as impressive as any infielder we've got -- defensively," Leyland volunteered about the 24-year-old. "He's good. He's really good. ... He can play in the big leagues right now, anywhere -- utility, defensively -- there's no question in my mind."

Because Alburquerque and Furbush are on the 40-man roster, they were optioned; Diaz and Thorman, both non-roster invitees, were reassigned. The roster count is actually 33 discounting Carlos Guillen and Joel Zumaya, both of whom will start the season on the disabled list.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedSat May 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Furbush gets first crack as Thomas hits DL
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 05/21/11 11:18 AM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Charlie Furbush's rapid rise through the Tigers farm system has landed him his first shot in the big leagues. The Tigers called up the deceptive left-hander from Triple-A Toledo on Saturday morning to take the place of lefty reliever Brad Thomas, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation.

Furbush, who some have projected him as an eventual strikeout lefty in the Majors, makes the trip from Toledo, presumably to fill Thomas' bullpen spot. His numbers at Toledo this year, and at three different levels last year, came as a starter with multiple out pitches. After ranking second among all Minor League pitchers last year with 183 strikeouts over 159 innings, the 25-year-old southpaw leads the International League with 55 strikeouts over 46 1/3 innings this season with the Mud Hens.

Just as impressive, and indicative of a big step in his development, he has managed to largely hold down hitters even when they put the ball in play. His 4-3 record over eight starts belies a 2.91 ERA, which kept him in some low-scoring affairs. Two of his starts were one-hit performances over seven and eight innings, the latter coming in defeat against Charlotte on the same day Justin Verlander pitched his no-hitter at Toronto.

The numbers and the pitching made Furbush one of the primary prospects to watch in Toledo, alongside fellow lefty Andy Oliver, while another southpaw, Duane Below, has pitched himself into the conversation. Speculation had been building for Furbush and Oliver to get their shot shortly if they kept up the stingy pitching.

Furbush's opportunity came from injury with Thomas, whose left elbow locked up on him Friday and left him unavailable for the series opener here against the Pirates. Thomas was scheduled to be checked out Saturday morning, but the Tigers couldn't wait long without a roster move. His absence for any stretch would've left Daniel Schlereth as the lone left-hander in Detroit's bullpen.

While there was talk out of Spring Training about the Tigers possibly getting by with one lefty, that depended on having an effective Joaquin Benoit pitching the eighth inning and the fastball of a healthy Joel Zumaya for the seventh. Neither of those have happened so far, though Benoit looked more like last year's form in a mop-up inning Friday night.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedWed May 25, 2011 12:44 am

Charlie Furbush's victory makes him the 23rd Maine-born pitcher to earn a Major League win. Former Red Sox pitcher Bob Stanley leads the group with 115. Only one other pitcher on the list, Padres right-hander Tim Stauffer, is currently in the big leagues.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedTue May 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Charlie Furbush NEWS 518703

Furbush ready when called upon from 'pen
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 05/31/11 8:21 PM ET

DETROIT -- Charlie Furbush left the Toledo Mud Hens' rotation for a callup to the Tigers bullpen. It only feels like he's in a rotation again.

He threw 3 2/3 scoreless innings for his first Major League win last Monday against Tampa Bay, then was put on three days' rest. He was available just in time for Rick Porcello's early exit, tossed five innings of scoreless relief Friday night against the Red Sox, then went back on three days' rest.

He was available to pitch again Tuesday for the first time since that outing. If Max Scherzer pitched effectively Tuesday night, there would be little chance he'd repeat the long work. Still, it's quite a pattern.

"Being a long reliever, you're going to run into those times when you're going to log some innings," said Furbush, a left-hander. "I'm pretty much ready at any time."

The rest days aren't complete rest. Furbush plays catch every day as part of his routine. He can't do much more than that, though, such as side sessions, because he has to stay prepared for games.

Whenever he pitches next, he'll be trying to continue the longest scoreless streak by a Tigers pitcher to begin his Major League career since Chris Mears in 2003. Furbush has 8 2/3 innings and counting; Mears tossed 10 1/3 scoreless innings over eight appearances in a two-week stretch before giving up a four-run inning.

After Furbush's last outing, manager Jim Leyland hinted that he could see some situational work, notably against left-handers. Two obstacles, however, exist for that progression. First, the Tigers' only other long reliever is Enrique Gonzalez, who has given up nine earned runs on 11 hits over 6 1/3 innings.

Second, with the trade for David Purcey, the Tigers now have two other lefties for late-game situations. Daniel Schlereth, in particular, has seemingly been reserved for lefty-specialist situations, while Purcey has had more conventional middle relief work so far.

Furbush has seen one change with his success: With Adam Wilk now back with Triple-A Toledo, Furbush now is the Tigers' reliever with the least time in the Majors. As such, he has to carry the backpack with snacks, tape and other items for the bullpen. The bright side is that Joaquin Benoit bought a new, larger backpack that can carry more stuff and isn't quite as uncomfortable on the 6-foot-5 Furbush's back.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedSat Jun 25, 2011 12:06 am

Furbush might be a starter in the future
By Chris Vannini / MLB.com | 06/24/11 9:18 PM ET

DETROIT -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland isn't quite sure what to make of Charlie Furbush.

Leyland initially thought of turning Furbush into a relief pitcher. The unique delivery of the left-hander made him ideal for a reliever. But the wide variety of pitches and other attributes led to Leyland changing his mind.

"I thought there was a strong possibility, just when I saw him and what I've seen, that Furbush was probably a Major League reliever, but I think I'm wrong," Leyland said. "I think he's a starter. To get him some innings out there like I have up to this point, two or three [at] a time sometimes, I think will be beneficial to him, rather than making him a lefty specialist."

Furbush has been with the Tigers since being called up on May 21. Since then, Furbush has scattered five earned runs and 16 hits over 19 innings with 16 strikeouts. He pitched at least 2 2/3 innings in four of his first five appearances, but since then, he has pitched more than one inning just once.

It has been an adjustment for Furbush to get used to relief, but he has adjusted well.

"I'm doing as best I can, trying to learn from other guys that have been doing it their whole careers and kind of see day in and day out what kind of stuff they do in terms of mentally approaching each inning, each batter, each situation," he said. "I've been learning a lot."

Although he's used to being a starter, Furbush is filling whatever role Leyland asks of him. Leyland has changed his mind on the future of Furbush, and wants to get the 25-year-old more innings and more experience, much of which can come from long relief.

"Ever since getting drafted, I've been a starter," Furbush said. "I feel like I've kind of been a starter. I just kind of take it as it goes. I really don't try to think too much or too deep into it. Just kind of take it a day at a time, see what happens, not get too far ahead of myself."

Chris Vannini is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedSat Jun 25, 2011 12:11 am

I can see a future where Coke goes back to the bullpen as a long reliever and Furbush becomes his replacement as a starter for the Tigers.

I have felt all along that they are not getting all the benefit from Charlie using him just as a relief pitcher. He has been a successful starter, bring him back as Coke's replacement.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedThu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Charlie Furbush NEWS Ph_457435 COKE - Charlie Furbush NEWS Ph_518703 - FURBUSH

Tigers move Coke to 'pen, Furbush to rotation
By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 06/30/11 1:20 PM ET

DETROIT -- The Tigers were steadfast in their support of Phil Coke as a starting pitcher since announcing the move last fall. But halfway through the season, it just isn't working.

Thus after a 1-8 record in 14 starts, including three straight rough outings, Coke's turn in the Tigers' rotation is done. Fellow left-hander Charlie Furbush, a starter for his entire pro career before joining Detroit's bullpen in mid-May, will take Coke's spot beginning with Monday's start against the Angels.

It's a move many expected in the wake of Wednesday's loss to the Mets, who hit Coke's pitches for eight runs, seven earned, on 10 hits over four-plus innings.

"It was not a tough decision," manager Jim Leyland said Thursday morning. "It was a disappointing decision, because we hoped that it would work out better. We thought it was certainly worth it. I think the stuff's there. Sometimes you weigh your options of who else you have.

"It's good to say, 'Well, this guy's not doing it, so I'm going to put in somebody else.' But who are you going to put in there? It's easy to say, 'We have to do something,' but what do you do? It's always a two-part thing."

In a different situation, Leyland said he still believes Coke's transition might have worked out. But with the Tigers tied for first place in the American League Central at the season's halfway point, the standings didn't afford them much patience.

The Tigers were looking to get to this point when Leyland and team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski agreed to try shifting Coke's role out of setup work at the end of last season. With a rotation void of left-handed starters and Coke having experience as a starter for much of his pro career, plus the variety of pitches to go with it, the Tigers decided it was worth a shot, especially while prospects Andy Oliver, Jacob Turner and Furbush continued their development.

"Our thought process all along was, 'Let's give this a shot because we don't really have some other guys ready yet,'" Leyland said. "Going in, that's what we were thinking: 'Let's get to the halfway point and let's see what it is.' Here's the halfway point, and it wasn't working. So we're making the adjustment."

While three AL pitchers have suffered more losses than Coke this year, they've all won more recently. His lone victory came April 14, and his stretch of 12 winless starts is the longest by a Tigers starter since their 119-loss team of 2003. Adam Bernero went 0-10 over a 17-start stretch that began June 15, 2002 and ended May 31, 2003. Just days before that, Mike Maroth ended his own 12-start winless streak.

Other than an injury-shortened outing last month, Wednesday was Coke's quickest exit from a start this year. Add Wednesday's damage to outings against the D-backs and Rockies, and Coke has allowed 18 runs, 16 earned, on 22 hits over his last 13 2/3 innings. Moreover, Leyland said Coke has looked more frustrated in recent outings.

"I don't know what's going to happen with Furbush," Leyland said, "but I'm smart enough to know right now that it just wasn't working with Phil."

Coke's remarks after Wednesday's game and again Thursday morning were more like exasperation.

"I've done everything I can possibly think to do," Coke said. "I'm not 100 percent happy, because I am giving everything I've got and I'm coming up short, and it looks really bad. My ERA, my record, walks to strikeouts -- who cares what the numbers say? I'm giving everything I've got, and I'm coming up short, period. Foot's fine. I'm fine. I'm a little irritated right now, but I'm fine. Everything's going to be fine."

Leyland had hinted last weekend that a move could be in the works when he said that he could now envision Furbush as a starter, after saying several times previously this year that he saw Furbush's future as a reliever. His success in long relief played a major role in that.

The lanky 25-year-old crashed the upper echelon of Tigers pitching prospects last year by striking out 183 batters over 159 innings, good for second among all Minor League pitchers in all organizations. His 55 strikeouts led the International League this year when he was called up to fill in for injured Brad Thomas. Furbush also owned a 4-3 record and a 2.91 ERA, allowing 29 hits over 46 1/3 innings. His lanky frame and deceptive delivery has proven to be tough on hitters at all levels.

"I'm excited," Furbush said. "It should be fun. I've been a starter my whole career, so I'm just going to do the same thing I've always done, get back into that routine. ... I've always wanted to be a starter at the big league level, so I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

It's a chance that goes against Leyland's tendencies as the Tigers' manager. Usually, he has filled rotation spots from the Minor Leagues rather than shifted folks from the bullpen, but Furbush's history this year was an exception. And as Leyland pointed out Thursday, he moved John Smiley from the bullpen to the rotation in Pittsburgh once upon a time and found a 20-game winner.

"I can't tell you it's going to work or not work," Leyland said. "I'm not smart enough to know that. All of a sudden, you're putting a young guy in a pennant race? I don't know. I put [Joel] Zumaya and [Justin] Verlander in a pennant race in 2006, and they did all right. I think he'll do fine. Do I expect him to tear it up? No. But do I expect him to be good? Yeah, I do. I think he'll be OK."

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedSun Jul 10, 2011 1:54 am

Furbush optioned to Triple-A following loss
By Adam Holt / MLB.com | 07/10/11 12:13 AM ET

KANSAS CITY -- After lasting just 2 2/3 innings in a 13-6 loss to the Royals on Saturday night, Tigers rookie Charlie Furbush was optioned to Triple-A Toledo.

Furbush made just his second Major League start and gave up nine runs on nine hits with two walks, although just four of the runs were earned.

Manager Jim Leyland announced the move following the game, saying it would allow Furbush to start Toledo's game on Thursday, instead of having the left-hander sit idly during the upcoming All-Star break.

"He's just got to get ahead of hitters and make pitches," Leyland said. "And he didn't do that at all tonight. He's going to have to eventually learn how to control the running game a bit better, obviously. That's a work in progress, but it's a nice work. I like him a lot. He's a good looking young pitcher and that's what he is."

Furbush said he has a few things to work on.

"Throwing more first-pitch strikes, throwing more quality strikes all around," he said. "That's really it. You leave balls a little bit too over the plate or not hitting the right location, guys are going to hit the ball."

The left-hander was 0-2 in the two games he started, allowing three runs in a 5-1 loss to the Angels on July 4.

Third baseman Danny Worth will be called up from Toledo to take Furbush's roster spot. Furbush's next turn in the rotation would be Wednesday, July 20 against Oakland.

As to whether Furbush will return after making his start for the Mud Hens, Leyland was non-committal.

"We're going to play it by ear from there," he said.

Adam Holt is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedFri Jul 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Turner moved up in rotation at Erie
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on July 14, 2011 at 7:25 pm

It’s an off-day for the Tigers, who worked out tonight at Comerica Park, but it’s still a news day. It’s also a game day for Double-A Erie, where Jacob Turner has rejoined the club after pitching in the All-Star Futures Game Sunday at Phoenix and the Eastern League All-Star Game Wednesday in New Hampshire.

When Turner talked in Phoenix, he said his next start for Erie was slated for July 18, giving him some extra rest. That plan has changed in recent days. Turner will start for the SeaWolves tomorrow (Friday), despite pitching an inning in the Eastern League All-Star Game two days earlier.

Coincidentally, the Tigers have an open spot in their rotation five days later, the normal time between starts. But it’s difficult to see a pitching prospect being moved up two days in the rotation by a team with an open spot as a coincidence.

That doesn’t mean that Turner is the choice to start next Wednesday. Charlie Furbush started Thursday for Triple-A Toledo, and he remains a strong option to return to Detroit. Duane Below, who takes a 9-4 record and 3.06 ERA into his start for the Mud Hens on Friday, also appears to be an option. There’s also the trade route, though it would be difficult to line up somebody from another team’s rotation to come in and start on that short notice. There are no indications yet that the Tigers have set their plans for next Wednesday.

Even if Furbush starts next Wednesday, that doesn’t necessarily solve the issue beyond that. By moving up Turner, the Tigers put him in line with that fifth spot for the foreseeable future. If Furbush has another rough outing, the Tigers could take the chance and start Turner. But if the Tigers go to Turner, it isn’t likely to be for just a spot start. That’s where this juggling act gets tricky, and why the Tigers are taking their time on this. If Furbush starts and the Tigers later trade for a starter or opt for Turner, Furbush can go the bullpen. They won’t do that shuffle with Turner.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedWed Jul 20, 2011 2:27 am

Last Updated: July 19. 2011 11:22PM
Tigers add Charlie Furbush to bullpen, demote OF Casper Wells
Tom Gage/ The Detroit News

Detroit— Charlie Furbush is back. Casper Wells is out.

The Tigers recalled Furbush from Triple A Toledo after Tuesday's 8-3 win over the A's. They'll use Furbush out of the bullpen, where he excelled before the team tried him in the rotation.

The Wells demotion, meanwhile, is a bit of a surprise because he has some power and can play all three outfield positions.

"This one hurts," manager Jim Leyland said of the decision on Wells, hitting .259 with four homers and 12 RBIs in 63 games. "But there are only 25 spots."

The Tigers also sent down reliever Adam Wilk, in a move to create a roster spot for Wednesday night's starting pitcher, left-hander Duane Below.

tom.gage@detnews.com

twitter.com/Tom_Gage

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110719/SPORTS0104/107190422/Tigers-add-Charlie-Furbush-to-bullpen--demote-OF-Casper-Wells#ixzz1ScUjl3kP
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedSat Jul 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Tigers land Fister from Mariners
Pauley also to Detroit for Furbush, Wells, prospect Martinez
By Evan Drellich / MLB.com | 07/30/11 12:05 PM ET

• Charlie Furbush NEWS Ph_450729Doug Fister
    Bio, stats, photos and highlights
  • Charlie Furbush NEWS Ph_518703Charlie Furbush
  • Charlie Furbush NEWS Ph_456102David Pauley
  • Charlie Furbush NEWS Ph_489413Casper Wells
  • Charlie Furbush NEWS Ph_541648Francisco Martinez

Already known to be looking for a starting pitcher, the Tigers reportedly found one on Saturday morning, a day before the non-waiver Trade Deadline passes.

Then they checked bullpen help off their list, too.

Detroit has acquired right-handed starter Doug Fister and right-handed reliever David Pauley from the Mariners, according to CBS Sports' Danny Knobler. Knobler reported the deal includes right-hander Charlie Furbush, outfielder Casper Wells and third-base prospect Francisco Martinez as pieces headed to Seattle.

Fister, 27 and in his third big league season, has a 3.33 ERA with a 1.17 WHIP despite his 3-12 record. He's not a strikeout pitcher, with just 89 in 146 innings, but he also walks very few, with an average of 1.97 per nine innings this season.

Pauley, 28, has a 2.15 ERA in 39 appearances and 54 1/3 innings, with just two home runs allowed. He's struck out 34 and walked 16.

"I look at it like Christmas," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said of the Deadline on Wednesday. "If you get something, good. If you don't, you survive."

Part of the value of Pauley and Fister is that both are under team control until 2015.

Wells, 26, is hitting .257 with four home runs and a .323 on-base percentage in 64 games this season. Furbush, a 25-year-old rookie and a fourth-round pick in 2007, is 1-3 with a 3.62 ERA in 32 1/3 innings and 17 appearances, two of which were starts.

Martinez, a 20-year-old from Venezuela, is hitting .282 with seven home runs in 91 games at Double-A Erie. He signed with the Tigers in 2007.

Evan Drellich is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @EvanDrellich. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedMon Aug 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Wells, Furbush ready for fresh start in Seattle
By Greg Johns / MLB.com | 07/31/11 7:00 PM ET

SEATTLE -- Casper Wells says he doesn't need any more of the "friendly ghost" jokes about his name, thank you very much. But the Mariners' newest outfielder came across as a very friendly baseball player on Sunday in his first meeting with the media following his trade to Seattle a day earlier.

Manager Eric Wedge wasted no time getting the outgoing Wells into action, as the 26-year-old New York native started in left field and hit seventh in Sunday's 8-1 loss to the Rays. Wells went 1-for-4 and drove in the Mariners' lone run.

"I'm eager to play," Wells said before the game. "I haven't played in a couple of days, so I'm champing at the bit to get out there.

"This is a beautiful field. When I came here earlier in the year, I was a little overwhelmed at how big it is. It's the same size as Qwest Field when I was driving by. I'm thinking, 'I'm going to play in this thing?' When I got out on the field, I was like, 'Wow, this place is so nice. You can breathe out here.'"

As for the unique name? Wells is the first Casper to play in the Major Leagues -- Robert Anthony Asbjornson, nicknamed Casper, played parts of four seasons from 1928-32, according to baseball-reference.com -- but he's certainly not the first Casper Wells in the world.

"I'm the fifth Casper Wells. It's been around for five generations. It was around before the cartoon, so all friendly ghost jokes can be put aside," Wells said with a grin. "I'm surprised I don't hear them that much from the away fans. They just sometimes make fun of my parents for naming me that. But I'm the fifth, so take it up with my great great grandfather."

Left-hander Charlie Furbush, the other Major League player acquired in Saturday's trade of Doug Fister and David Pauley to the Tigers, will work out of the bullpen for now, with the goal of moving him into the rotation for a look once he builds his arm strength back up.

Furbush came on in the eighth inning Sunday and yielded a solo home run to Sean Rodriguez, but he rebounded to retire the side and threw 13 of his 21 pitches for strikes.

The 25-year-old said he's always been a starter until this season with the Tigers, when he made 15 relief appearances and two starts. He said he prefers being in the rotation, if possible.

"I do. We'll see what happens," said the youngster from Louisiana State University. "I was talking to Wedge about it. We'll kind of take it a day at a time and go from there. ... I'd like to say I could go right now. But at the end of the day, they're probably going to stretch me out at least a couple of times before they put me in the rotation."

The 6-foot-5 lefty started nine games for Triple-A Toledo earlier this season, going 5-3 with a 3.17 ERA and posting 61 strikeouts in 54 innings. He last started on July 14 and threw roughly 90 pitches.

With the Tigers, Furbush started twice in early July, but lasted just 4 2/3 and 2 2/3 innings (0-2, 8.59 ERA). He was very effective in his bullpen stints, with a 2.16 ERA over 25 innings in 15 outings.

Drafted by the Tigers in the fourth round in 2007, this is Furbush's first time being traded and he acknowledged that the experience was a bit of a whirlwind.

"It happened pretty quick, that's for sure," he said. "I found out the news yesterday, had to pack up my place and head on a plane to get here. But it's part of the business. I'm excited and looking forward to see what happens."

Furbush and Wells were living in the same building in downtown Detroit, so Wells quickly went to his teammate's apartment after seeing on television the two had been swapped Saturday morning.

"I was eating breakfast and almost spit my food out," Wells said. "I rode down the elevator and knocked on his door and said, 'Hey man, we're going to Seattle.' It was pretty exciting for both of us. I had all smiles on the flight over here, seeing the beautiful mountains. It was awesome."

The next two months will be all about baseball, however, with the pair getting a chance to show the Mariners where they might fit into future plans.

"We're going to have Furbush in the bullpen initially, but I think there's a good chance that at some point in time he'll get some starts for us, too," Wedge said. "With Wells, he can play all three spots in the outfield. He was playing primarily against lefties over there, but I want to see him more regularly than that."

Wells hit .257 with four home runs and 12 RBIs in 64 games with the Tigers, and he sees better times ahead for both himself and Furbush.

"I see it as a tremendous opportunity," Wells said. "With a team that's doing well like Detroit, you have a limited role with some of the guys they have. I feel like I have an opportunity to play a lot more here. Skip said he wants to get a good look at me. That's all I ask for, just to get an opportunity."

As for his scouting report on Furbush?

"He's got his funky delivery and a nasty slider," Wells said. "I told him I'd have trouble facing him. It seems like he's pretty tough on righties with the angle he comes at. And lefties as well. He's got electric stuff."

Greg Johns is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregJohnsMLB as well as his Mariners Musings blog. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_minipostedFri Aug 19, 2011 1:50 am

Youth prevails as Mariners topple Wakefield
Furbush pitches seven strong innings to lead rookie brigade

By Greg Johns / MLB.com | 8/14/2011 7:50 PM ET

SEATTLE -- At age 45 and in his 19th season of Major League ball, Tim Wakefield had a little edge in experience against a rookie-laden Mariners squad Sunday at Safeco Field.

But Seattle's youth corps -- with five rookies in the lineup -- topped the veteran knuckleballer and his Red Sox with a 5-3 victory that gave the Mariners a series win over the American League East leaders.

Rookie Charlie Furbush pitched seven strong innings of one-run ball for his second win for Seattle since being acquired from Detroit in the Doug Fister deal on July 30.

"Furbush was very good today," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "He did a good job repeating his delivery. Because of that he was real consistent with his fastball and was able to move it around and hit his spots.

"He did a real good job with his breaking ball, especially against left-handers. He was very poised with good tempo. There was a lot to like out there today."

Rookie left fielder Casper Wells, who came in the same trade with the Tigers, hit his third home run for Seattle and kept his batting average at .333 in 10 games with the Mariners.

The Mariners also got RBI singles from rookies Dustin Ackley and Mike Carp, who both continued their productive runs in the 3-4 spots in Wedge's lineup.

The fifth rookie, third baseman Kyle Seager, also had a hit and scored a run as the Mariners rang up nine hits, their fifth straight game with at least nine hits.

Furbush breezed through the Red Sox's potent lineup for three innings before giving up a run on two hits in the fourth, Jed Lowrie driving home the one with a bases-loaded sacrifice fly. But that was all he surrendered in his seven innings, finishing with four hits, two walks and six strikeouts.

Furbush said the key was getting ahead of hitters early, a fact echoed by Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia after his 0-for-4 day.

"He was throwing strikes," Saltalamacchia said. "He's got a sneaky fastball and kind of throws it across his body a little bit. He's tough to pick up."

Veteran shortstop Jack Wilson helped limit the damage in the fourth with an excellent diving stop of a leadoff line drive by Dustin Pedroia, then gave the 6-foot-5 Furbush a very tall compliment afterward.

"He reminds me a lot of like a Randy Johnson, with that turn and he's big and tall and you know he's coming," Wilson said. "He's falling off the mound, throwing every ounce of that 149-pound frame into every pitch.

"And that's part of the deception, too, with his slider and changeup, with how far he falls and how much he puts into it," Wilson said. "He's very deceptive and he had a very good game, which was good to see after his last outing."

The lanky lefty, who is listed at 215 pounds, struggled in his previous start in Texas when he gave up eight hits and six earned runs in four innings. But in two Safeco starts, the 25-year-old is now 2-0 with a 1.67 ERA and just six hits in 12 innings.

"It's a pitcher's ballpark, so I can't complain about that," Furbush said. "Definitely having been here a couple weeks, it's been pretty comfortable and getting to know the guys and everything around here has just been good."

It doesn't hurt that the Mariners' offense has heated up a bit of late with 24 runs over its past five games. Seattle jumped on Wakefield for three runs in the third and could have had more, leaving the bases loaded with its final two outs.

But the Mariners did take advantage of a pair of Red Sox errors that inning to score three runs (two earned) with RBI singles by Wilson and Carp as well as a sacrifice fly by Franklin Gutierrez.

Carp continued producing with runners in scoring position as he ripped a bases-loaded single to right field for his 15th RBI of August, second most in the Majors this month.

The 25-year-old first baseman extended his hit streak to 14 games, the longest by a Mariners rookie since Ichiro Suzuki had runs of 16, 21 and 23 games in 2001. Carp has 24 RBIs in 23 games since being recalled from Triple-A Tacoma in mid-July.

Ackley added a run-scoring single in the fifth to make it 4-1 before Wells' blast in the sixth added an insurance run, which came in handy when Kevin Youkilis ripped a two-run home run off reliever Jeff Gray to close the gap in the eighth.

The Mariners have now won five of their last six home games heading into a three-game set with Toronto on Monday with rookie Michael Pineda on the mound.

Greg Johns is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregJohnsMLB as well as his Mariners Musings blog. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charlie Furbush NEWS   Charlie Furbush NEWS Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Charlie Furbush NEWS
Page 1 of 1