DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Empty
PostSubject: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_minipostedThu May 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Hawk

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Brandon Inge, the usual instigator, proclaimed his innocence. Having said that, he was one of the first to jump on the bandwagon. "If it looks like fun, I'll do it," he admitted. Johnny Damon, the role model, disavowed any involvement in the caper. "Their loved ones cannot be upset with me," he declared.

Actually, the harebrained scheme for half of the Tigers' team to get Mohawk haircuts was hatched in the bullpen and executed between halves of Wednesday's doubleheader against the Yankees. Now the stunt still has the whole clubhouse laughing. "That's what happens when you have too much time on your hands," said first base coach Tom Brookens.

The impromptu shearing was supposed to increase solidarity among the boys in the league-leading bullpen. It appears to have brought the entire team closer together.

"We sit out there in the bullpen and during the first two or three innings it's a little loose," explained Joel Zumaya, one of the provocateurs. "Me, (Eddie) Bonine, (Phil) Coke, (Ryan) Perry _ we were all for it. It was all our idea. It's pretty sweet.

"I think it's cool. It's the whole bullpen. We're going to see how long we can keep it up. It would be pretty cool if we could get the whole team to do it."

"I had a little to do with it, but it was really a whole bullpen stunt," said Coke, who wins the award for Most Outlandish Haircut, hands down.

"Fu-Te Ni called his mom and dad in Taiwan, probably woke them up out of a dead sleep, to ask if it was OK," revealed Coke.

"Not true," Ni insisted, through his translator.

But how would your parents react if they knew, Ni was asked?

"Probably go crazy," he replied with a smile.

In his native Taiwan, Ni explained, nobody wears hairstyles like that. "Unless they're models or rock stars," he added.

Australian Brad Thomas admitted he now gets "lots of funny looks."

"People are giving me a wide berth when they see me."

"It's not the brightest idea we've ever had," Perry confessed.

"We have every position on the roster represented," Inge explained. "We got the whole bullpen, I represent the infielders, Johnny (Damon) is the outfield, Alex (Avila) is the catchers and (Jeremy) Bonderman is the starting pitchers.

"That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it," Inge added.

"Maybe it'll change my luck," muttered Bonderman, who has pitched better than his 1-2 record indicates.

I asked Inge what his wife, Shani, thinks of his new hairstyle.

"I don't know, she hasn't spoken to me yet," he said.

Perry invited Leyland to join the club. But the 65-year-old manager declined.

"I ain't got enough hair," Leyland growled.

"Besides, I've got my son's graduation to go to."

The lone holdout in the bullpen is closer Jose Valverde, who, according to informed sources, kept encouraging his teammates to get their hair cut, then chickened out when his own turn came.

"I'll do it if you do it," Valverde chided me.

"You first," I said.

He laughed and walked away.

posted by Jim Hawkins at 2:21 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mohawk mania hits Motor City
Many Tigers sport new hairdo between games of twin bill

By Alex DiFilippo / MLB.com

05/13/10 12:40 AM ET

DETROIT -- A baseball clubhouse can serve a number of purposes. It can be a lounge, a gym, a kitchen and even a doctor's office.

On Wednesday, the Tigers' clubhouse doubled as something new -- a barbershop.

More than 10 Tigers opted to shave their hair into a mohawk in the home clubhouse between games of the day-night doubleheader against the Yankees. The pitching staff did the most grooming on the afternoon, with at least seven hurlers sporting the new look. Third baseman Brandon Inge even decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Maybe the new hairdos were a result of being cooped up inside so much lately. Tuesday's rainout led to the doubleheader, and with the first game lasting only two hours and 15 minutes, the team had plenty of time on its hands between games.

Or maybe it was just a team bonding experience.

Either way, several Tigers look ready to head out to a hard rock show, not take the baseball field.

No one is fessing up to having started the new trend, and the most likely candidate was quick to point the finger of blame elsewhere.

Johnny Damon sported the team's first mohawk, which started on the Tigers' road trip to Anaheim in mid-April. But Damon said he played no part in the barbershop session that occurred on Wednesday afternoon.

"I came in, sat down and started playing cards, and all of a sudden, people started walking out of the bathroom with mohawks to the skin," Damon said. "So we can't put that on me. Maybe they just liked how good mine looked, and then you see what we see now.

"I'm not going to be responsible for girlfriends or wives or parents calling me -- even grandparents or their kids. They've got to deal with it themselves."

Damon's mohawk isn't nearly as jaw-dropping as those of many other members on the team -- see Phil Coke and Ryan Perry -- mainly because he doesn't shave his head bald on the sides. Left-handed pitcher Fu-Te Ni followed Damon's lead and went with what is best described as a "faux-hawk."

"Some of them do have some very good ones working," Damon said. "I'm not even sure if, when we're on the road, places will even let us in. I mean, that's the thing that we have to watch out for. I guess I know who I'm not hanging out with."

Damon will still be able to hang with center fielder Austin Jackson, whose hair was too short to join the fad.

"Even if I could do it, I wouldn't do it," Jackson confessed. "That's not me."

Wednesday night's starting pitcher, Jeremy Bonderman, joined in with his teammates, negating the adage that pitchers like to be left alone prior to their start.

"I came in and everybody was doing it, so I just jumped on the bandwagon," Bonderman said. "It was a long day with a lot of time on our hands. I think some of the guys got bored and decided to have some fun."

The mohawks don't have to be a permanent thing. A quick buzz here and a quick buzz there could get the team looking socially acceptable again.

But for now, the mohawks are here to stay.

"As long as we like it, it doesn't matter," Coke said. "It's pretty legit."

Alex DiFilippo is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Thu May 13, 2010 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_minipostedThu May 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4604962033_e1d1097235_o
brad thomas mohawk

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4604961931_90eb5ec9ba_o
Alex Avila mohawk

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4604961957_a3b9a96571_o

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4605108841_c0a4a0fe40_o
Phil Coke mohawk

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4604961993_6bfa3a0fc5_o

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4604962013_4e562e5064_o
Damon Mohawk

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4605623994_d969e80ffa
Inge Mohawk

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4605039801_b94fd2094d_o
Zoom mohawk

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4605662190_fc4520eeea_o
Bonine Mohawk

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Fri May 14, 2010 12:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_minipostedThu May 13, 2010 11:10 pm

more to come as I find pictures!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_minipostedFri May 14, 2010 12:02 am

Video of Bondo with his mohawk:

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/pages/video/?PID=_AtrKWE5xhsVnv4_dTdRRNFmZZ3v3IOp

Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together 4605710382_90811b205c_o
Back to top Go down
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
msgol

Number of posts : 570
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : all of them!
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_minipostedFri May 14, 2010 12:59 pm

so I have a question - I know Wed. night was a loss, but I read Bondo did pitch well. True?

I feel for him, man...he is a winning pitcher.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_minipostedFri May 14, 2010 5:40 pm

msgol wrote:
so I have a question - I know Wed. night was a loss, but I read Bondo did pitch well. True?

I feel for him, man...he is a winning pitcher.

Very true, Bonderman pitched well, Figero and Coke messed up, plus Bondo was out pitched and our hitters did not score at all!
Back to top Go down
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
msgol

Number of posts : 570
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : all of them!
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_minipostedSat May 15, 2010 2:06 pm

i'm glad bondo's pitching well - i would like to see him succeed.

Let's show him some love!!!! Thanks, gogetem.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_minipostedThu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 am

Coke sporting lone remaining mohawk

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

06/09/10 8:44 PM ET

CHICAGO -- The mohawks that became a big story for the Tigers' bullpen a month ago are all but gone now. Ryan Perry shaved his head immediately after his rough outing against the Royals last weekend. Eddie Bonine arrived in Chicago with his head shaved as well, saying he'd join in with his comrades.

Alex Avila, Brandon Inge and Joel Zumaya already rid themselves of their mohawks, while Johnny Damon's hair has grown out. That leaves lefty Phil Coke with the lone remaining mohawk.

The haircuts came about between games of a day-night doubleheader May 12 against the Yankees as a solidarity measure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together   Mohawk haircuts bring entire Tigers team closer together Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Team Discussion & Game Day Posts-
Jump to: