DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Jim Leyland wants more offense out of

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Jim Leyland wants more offense out of Empty
PostSubject: Jim Leyland wants more offense out of   Jim Leyland wants more offense out of Icon_minipostedMon Apr 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Jim Leyland wants more offense out of Tigers catchers Gerald Laird, Alex Avila
By Steve Kornacki
April 12, 2010, 6:59PM

Tigers catcher Alex Avila: 'We all felt like we could win that game' video

DETROIT -- Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland stated it plain and simple after Monday’s game: “We’ve got to get some offense out of our catchers.”

Alex Avila went 0-for-4 on Monday, but has just eight at-bats this season and one single to show for it.

Gerald Laird is 1-for-18 and batting .056.

Combined they are 2-for-26 and .077 without a run batted in.

Laird’s eighth-inning single Sunday broke his 17 at-bat hitless streak for the season, and sparked its fair share of humor.

Many at Comerica Park stood and cheered.

“I got a standing ovation and I know some of them were being sarcastic,” Laird said. “But I think some of them felt good for me.”

Leyland got in a playful jab when he visited the mound in the ninth inning.

Laird said: “He said, ‘I just got poison ivy; you got a hit.’ “

Leyland chuckled when it was brought up.

“I said, ‘You got a hit. (Cripes), I’m breaking out in a rash or something.”

But, kidding aside, he expected more after Laird devoted more time to hitting during spring training and adjusted his stance to bat a respectable .269 with 3 homers and 12 RBIs.

Avila batted .357 in Grapefruit League games with 8 doubles, and impressed the Tigers with his hitting during an August and September call up.

“I’ll just keep grinding away,” Avila said. “They had a good game plan for me today -- keeping me off-balance with changeups and cut fastballs. I can’t remember the last 0-for-4 I’ve had.”

Avila had just one such game last year in 10 games with four-plus plate appearances.

Others struggling are left fielder Johnny Damon, who is in a 1-for-19 rut and batting .130, and utility man Ryan Raburn (.143).
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Jim Leyland wants more offense out of   Jim Leyland wants more offense out of Icon_minipostedTue Apr 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Should just start Avila. I realize Laird's defensive presence, but .056?! Avila has had way less chances to prove himself at the plate.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
msgol

Number of posts : 570
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : all of them!
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Jim Leyland wants more offense out of   Jim Leyland wants more offense out of Icon_minipostedTue Apr 13, 2010 1:37 pm

all i can say is - - well, duh! they do have coaches for that, don't they? The Tigers have always raised good catchers...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jim Leyland wants more offense out of   Jim Leyland wants more offense out of Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Jim Leyland wants more offense out of
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: