DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season   Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season Icon_minipostedWed Dec 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Tigers: Notebook
Rodney still could close for Tigers
If inconsistent righty can throw more strikes, Putz or Hoffman would only serve as insurance.
Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

LAS VEGAS -- Dave Dombrowski said Tuesday that the Tigers might already have their 2009 closer: Fernando Rodney.

Rodney, who turns 32 in March, had a combative relationship with the strike zone in 2008, but he owns an arsenal that generally defines a bullpen closer: a fastball in the high 90-mph range and a devastating change-up.

"If he throws the ball great, he can close -- if he throws strikes," Dombrowski said, before adding, making clear that "if" is the challenge for Rodney "He'll be a free agent in a year (after the 2009 season)."

Dombrowski's point is Rodney understands the marketplace for top-shelf, back-end relievers and will be all the more motivated to put together a stellar 2009.

The Tigers, however, want insurance for the late innings, no matter who closes.

Rodney had his shot at becoming the Tigers' new closer last season as manager Jim Leyland held auditions to replace Todd Jones. Joel Zumaya, who was all along projected to win the job, faltered because of his shoulder problems, which made it Rodney's job to lose.

Rodney was given the chance to earn the closing job. But he saved just 13 of 19 chances.

Rodney now is pitching for the Escogido Lions in the Dominican Winter League. The right-hander has made one appearance: one inning, no hits, one strikeout and no walks.

Winter work

One Tiger enjoying a big winter is Matt Joyce , who has been playing for the Mexicali Eagles in the Mexican Pacific League.

Through 29 games, Joyce is hitting .300 with eight home runs and 25 RBIs. He has an on-base average of .368 and a slugging percentage of .620, good for an impressive OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) of .988. Joyce has 23 strikeouts and 12 walks in 100 at-bats.

Among others playing winter ball, shortstop Ramon Santiago is batting .308 for the Cibao Giants. Brent Clevlen is struggling with the Escogido Lions (13 games, .263, 13 strikeouts, no home runs, two doubles), as is Dusty Ryan with the Ponce Lions (15 games, .163, one home run, five RBIs, 20 strikeouts).

Talk of the town

Dombrowski had a tidy account of his Tuesday at baseball's winter meetings.

"A lot of conversations with clubs and with agents," the Tigers president and general manager said as he and Leyland briefed media in the team's suite at the Bellagio Hotel.

As for names, teams, or other clues that might identify who the Tigers were chasing in their bid to boost their bullpen, Dombrowski was equally concise: He wasn't divulging any IDs, at least about pitchers still available.

"We did inquire a bit about Kerry Wood ," Dombrowski said of the former Cubs reliever who was closing in on a deal with the Cleveland Indians.

Wood's apparent signing with Indians, and the revelation that Francisco Rodriguez had agreed to a deal with the New York Mets, pared down the list of closers left for the Tigers to chase: J.J. Putz and Trevor Hoffman as they bid to add a back-end reliever.

The Tigers have not dismissed notions that they have been talking with Seattle about closer J.J. Putz, the Trenton native and former University of Michigan right-hander whom the Mariners are offering -- but at a steep price.

It is believed the Mariners want a dynamite package of Jeff Larish and likely Joyce as part of any price for Putz, 31, who would qualify as the hard-throwing, shutdown closer Dombrowski and Leyland crave.

But because the price is so high, and because Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik is talking seriously with his old Brewers club about mighty left-handed hitter Prince Fielder , it is questionable if the Tigers can realistically bid for Putz.

That would leave the Tigers considering a one-year deal for Hoffman, 41, the all-time saves leader who had 30 saves and a 3.77 ERA for the Padres last year. Hoffman is a free agent, who might hold things together as the Tigers prepare for an influx of young relievers who could be ready by 2010.

Hoffman had 30 saves for the Padres last season. He was 3-6 with a 3.77 ERA. In 48 games and 45 1/3 innings, Hoffman struck out 46 batters, walked nine, and held opponents to a .224 batting average.

Looking ahead

Dombrowski acknowledged that the Tigers are high on their cast for 2010 -- it could feature young pitchers Rick Porcello , Ryan Perry , Casey Fien , Rudy Darrow , Luis Marte , etc., as well as infielder Cale Iorg -- but that 2009 was by no means looking dismal. "Right now, we're trying to win," he said of 2009, adding: "I think we had an outstanding draft last (June)."

"If we can get through this cycle," he said speaking of the 2009 transition that Leyland believes will be a surprise on the plus side. "We're trying to win. When you have our payroll, you're not rebuilding."

"We've got a good team -- trust me," Leyland added. "Better than some people think.

"I know what we have. You've got to remember, there's a fine line anymore in the baseball world. I think we're pretty good."

You can reach Lynn Henning at lynn.henning@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season   Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season Icon_minipostedThu Jan 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Dombrowski likes prospects for pitching

GRAND RAPIDS -- He has no anxiety over the Tigers bullpen heading into 2009, Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski says.

"Am I comfortable going in?" he asked, rhetorically, as the Tigers began their winter publicity caravan with stops at Toledo and Grand Rapids.

"Yes.

"Sometimes you go after high-profile guys, and sometimes you try and get not-so-high-profile guys. We've been trying to do both."

The contradiction is that Dombrowski, by his own admission, hopes to add another pitcher or two. Preferably, one will be a certified closer. But he conceded that the hunt is more like a scout-and-hope mission.

"I don't think there's a dominant-type guy out there," Dombrowski said. "No Joe Nathans or K-Rods (Francisco Rodriguez). But I wouldn't be surprised if we added a couple of guys."

The Tigers have been in discussion with the agent for reliever Brandon Lyon, a former closer for the Arizona Diamondbacks. But a combination of fat price tags for available relievers and Lyon's second-half problems at Arizona (8.46 earned-run average after the All-Star break and loss of his closer's role) might make him a fringe contender for a Tigers job.

Dombrowski, in any event, was looking at the cup as half-full Wednesday.

"There just aren't many perfect clubs out there," he said. "Last year, people thought we had that perfect club.

"There is no perfect club. But I think we'll add somebody who'll do a good job."

Detroit's D

Defense is in vogue as the Tigers get ready for spring training, which begins Feb. 14 when pitchers and catchers have their inaugural workout at Lakeland, Fla.

The Tigers have moved Brandon Inge to third base -- for the duration, they say -- and have signed smooth-fielding Adam Everett to play shortstop. A solid catcher, Gerald Laird , takes care of a major issue that followed the Tigers into the past offseason.

Carlos Guillen moving to left field is expected to be another upgrade.

"If you're going to win at the major league level, you've got to pitch and play defense," Dombrowski said, explaining why one of baseball's basic tenets became such an area of focus after 2008. "Last year, some things didn't work out well for us.

"Some guys were set in certain roles and it just never really settled in," he said, a reference to Miguel Cabrera 's arrival as Detroit's new third baseman, his subsequent shift to first base, and Guillen's moves from shortstop, to first, and to third, all before Inge was re-installed as the Tigers' regular third baseman.

The flux in the field has ended. Guillen is now in left field, Cabrera is established at first. With the solid Placido Polanco a fixture at second base, Dombrowski likes how his team shapes up with Curtis Granderson in center field and Magglio Ordonez in right.

"I think our ballclub will score enough runs," Dombrowski said, ticking off the starting nine, including designated hitter Gary Sheffield , whom Dombrowski believes will have a big year.

"I think we need to pitch and play defense."

Welcome, Mr. Everett

Inge raved Wednesday about Everett, his new wingman at short who played last season for the Minnesota Twins and the previous seven seasons for the Houston Astros.

"I'm excited about Adam Everett," Inge said. "I can't wait to shut down that left side of the infield.

"I played against Adam quite a bit in the minors. He'll bring a lot to the clubhouse, and he's a blue-collar guy who'll be a perfect fit for our city.

"He's got a great mind."

Inge said Everett's arrival would be sweet for another big reason.

"I'm tired of seeing him drop down bunts," said Inge, who had seen his share of Everett's artistry when the two met in the minor leagues and in the majors.

Starting stable

Dombrowski said he was stunned to read somewhere -- he didn't cite the source -- that the Tigers had major problems with their starting pitching heading into 2009.

"I think we've got the potential to have a good pitching staff," he said.

Dombrowski's reasoning is that Justin Verlander will have a bounce-back season after a shaky 2008. He believes Jeremy Bonderman will be healthy and on top of his game. As for another restoration project, Nate Robertson , who had an abysmal 2008, Dombrowski said: "You won't recognize Nate Robertson with the shape he's in."

Armando Galarraga and Zach Miner are two more reasons Dombrowski likes his pitching staff. Dontrelle Willis has been making progress, and Edwin Jackson is the big addition to manager Jim Leyland 's rotation after coming to Detroit last month in a trade with Tampa Bay for outfielder Matt Joyce .

"He (Jackson) won 14 games last year and established himself as a big league starter," Dombrowski said of Jackson, a 25-year-old right-hander with a power fastball. "He learned to pitch more last year than just throw."

Dombrowski mentioned one more reason he believes Tigers pitching will turn around in 2009: new pitching coach Rick Knapp , the former minor league pitching instructor for the Minnesota Twins.

"I'm excited by our potential," Dombrowski said. "These guys can win."

Inge's revival

Inge, who believes he will have a year at the plate as good or better than his 2006 peak (27 home runs, 83 RBIs), says the difference in his mechanics and in his hitting approach already are polar opposites from 2008.

"I was fighting against all my mechanics," he said Wednesday at the downtown Marriott Hotel in Grand Rapids, where he was among a host of players inducted into the Michigan Whitecaps Hall of Fame.

"I looked at my swing (on video during the offseason) and saw it was terrible."

Now, Inge says, a new approach and new understanding should pave the way for a comeback season at the plate in 2009. He and hitting coach Lloyd McClendon already have seen the difference during the past week Inge spent working at Comerica Park.

"I've eliminated a lot of bad thought processes," he said. "I'm excited that year (2008) is gone."

You can reach Lynn Henning at (313) 222-2472 lynn.henning@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season   Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season Icon_minipostedFri Jan 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Friday, January 23, 2009
Clevlen is down to his final option
Outfielder trying to cut down on strikeouts and get over hitting hump, say challenge exciting.
Lynn Henning and Tom Gage / The Detroit News

Every big league player has his limits, otherwise known as options.

A player gets three years in which a team can call him up from the minor leagues and return him to the bushes.

Outfielder Brent Clevlen, 25, is staring at his fourth option with the Tigers. If he doesn't make the team out of spring training, he must be traded, or be exposed to the waiver wire before the Tigers could return him to their farm system.

In other words, it's make it or break it for Clevlen and the Tigers when spring camp convenes next month at Lakeland, Fla.

"I'm actually excited about it," Clevlen said Thursday as the Tigers' winter publicity caravan made a stop at Miller Auditorium on the Western Michigan University campus. "We'll see what happens."

The Tigers would love to keep Clevlen, their second-round pick in 2002 and his laser-beam throws. But in order for that to happen, Clevlen must hit like a solid outfielder.

Clevlen had a dazzling first four months of the 2008 season at Triple-A Toledo, which earned him a two-week stretch with the Tigers in June.

But he tailed off at season's end, which marred some otherwise strong numbers: .279 average, 22 home runs, 82 RBIs.

Strikeouts, however, which have always been Clevlen's sore spot, were again staggering: 166 in 126 games, despite a shortened swing that was designed to decrease the whiffs.

"I think the last month-and-a-half, I hit one of those walls," Clevlen said. "The season didn't end the way I wanted it to."

Larish's labors

He spent most of the autumn in Arizona's desert lands, shifting to a spot opposite his old home at first base.

Jeff Larish continued his crash course in playing a new position, third base, as he settled in for what became a productive stint in the Arizona Fall League.

He hit .331 with six home runs and was second in the league in RBIs with 29. He also got more comfortable with a position that could be his ticket to regular duty with the Tigers down the road.

"I got a lot of quality work in," said Larish, a left-handed batter who was the Tigers' fifth-round pick out of Arizona State in 2005. "Each game I played over there, I got a better idea of the angles and jumps."

Larish is expected to contend for an off-the-bench spot on manager Jim Leyland 's roster.

"He's one of the candidates that possibly will be fighting for the 25th spot on the team," Leyland said. "That is a fact."

Guillen is outspoken

Carlos Guillen has put his infield days so far behind him that he wants his next team to know he'll only play outfield now.

His next team?

That means the Venezuelan team in this year's World Baseball Classic. Guillen, who'll be the Tigers' left fielder this season after being their shortstop, first baseman and third baseman, made it clear to Venezuelan officials he expects to play only the outfield in the WBC.

"Or I wouldn't have played at all," he said.

Extra bases

Hitting coach Lloyd McClendon was an early casualty of the tour. A pinched nerve had him in a doctor's office instead of at the kickoff luncheon.

... Leyland rejected any thought of turning a starter into a closer because "tinkering burned us last year, and we never recouped."

"We never got out of it. So I'm not going to be tinkering at all," he said.

... According to CBS Sports, the Tigers are close to signing right-hander Scott Williamson to a minor league contract. Williamson, 32, was once one of the mainstays of Cincinnati's bullpen.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season   Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season Icon_minipostedWed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 am

Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Baseball: Tigers notebook
New Tiger Lyon excels at throwing strikes
Reliever has been compared to ex-closer Jones, says he chose Detroit for chance to win.
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- It's the most impressive stat about the Tigers' new relief pitcher and probable closer.

In the 51 saves he has in his career, Brandon Lyon has walked only four batters. Four walks in 52 2/3 innings. Four walks in 202 plate appearances.

If that doesn't fit right into the philosophy of pitching coach Rick Knapp, namely that strikes are essential, nothing does.

"Going out there and beating yourself is not the way to go about it," Lyon said Monday during a conference call with reporters. "Make the other team beat you."

By throwing strikes.

Not just about that subject, but on the potential of the Tigers, Lyon said all the right things during the call, things his new bosses and teammates like hearing.

About the Tigers, for instance, the right-hander who signed as a free agent on Saturday said, "I don't see a better team on paper in the major leagues. I want to win. I want to be on a winning team. That was the bottom line about where I was going to go."

Last year with the Diamondbacks, Lyon said that in preparation for a series against the Tigers "we went into the meetings to go over their hitters, and we wondered how they were putting up the runs they were," meaning so few.

Lyon said he chose the Tigers over clubs offering more than a one-year contract because "the situation just suited me better. I heard from other players that it's great to play in Detroit and that weighed in my decision."

Of whether he expects to be the Tigers' closer, Lyon said: "If I stay healthy, everything will play out well for me and for the team. If, by chance, I'm not the closer, I'm a team player and I'll be excited to help the team in any way I can."

Despite struggling in the second half last year, Lyon had 26 saves for Arizona. But he said of the second half, in which he had an 8.46 ERA in 23 appearances, "I just felt I didn't get enough work and I didn't know how to prepare myself when I wasn't pitching.

"I don't think I was mixing all my pitches. That was a big part of me struggling. I stuck to being a conventional two-pitch pitcher."

Lyon has been compared to former Tigers closer Todd Jones, from what he throws right down to his career 3.79 ERA in save situations. Jones' career ERA in save situations was 3.78.

"There are definite similarities," said Lyon, "from our aggressiveness to our style of pitching. He's a great person to be compared with. He had a great career."

Perez returns

For the third consecutive season, the Tigers have signed outfielder Timo Perez to a minor league contract.

A year ago, Perez was coming off an impressive stretch with Detroit in which he hit .389 in 90 at-bats in 2007. He spent last year at Toledo, hitting .302.

The team also announced the signings of seven players on their 40-man roster to one-year contracts, including catcher Dusty Ryan , pitcher Chris Lambert and infielder Michael Hollimon , all of whom saw action at the major league level last year.

You can reach Tom Gage at tom.gage@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season   Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season Icon_minipostedSat Feb 14, 2009 11:19 am

Saturday, February 14, 2009
New Tiger Lyon eager to get started
Reliever excited just to throw baseball again, compete for closer's job with competitive Tigers.

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Brandon Lyon looked like the kid who just arrived at a new school.

He knew none of his teammates. He knew neither his manager, Jim Leyland, nor his new coaches.

A right-handed reliever who could become the Tigers' closer in 2009 spent Friday morning getting acquainted with his locker in the clubhouse at Marchant Stadium and saying hello to a new team.

"Excited to get here," Lyon said. "Just meeting the guys, for now, kind of getting a feel for everybody."

The group included Leyland. The two shook hands and traded greetings in the manager's office a day before pitchers and catchers open formal spring-training drills as the Tigers prepare for their 2009 season.

"Didn't get much into detail," Lyon said of his brief chat with Leyland. "I've watched him over the years. I'm excited to play for him. He's one of the best managers in baseball."

Lyon acknowledged he was more excited to begin throwing. He signed a one-year deal with the Tigers last month with the intent to win Detroit's vacant closer's spot.

In the process, he turned down a multiyear offer from the Minnesota Twins to be the setup man to closer Joe Nathan.

It's a calculated gamble on Lyon's part, but probably a shrewd one. He is likely to be, at the very least, a part-time closer for the Tigers. A sturdier estimate is he will emerge as the Opening Day closer with prospects for holding the job indefinitely.

It is an issue that depends heavily on how quickly and reliably Joel Zumaya makes it back from last year's shoulder miseries. It also presumes Fernando Rodney will return to his old role as the Tigers setup man.

Lyon understands a bullpen closer with solid numbers could hit the jackpot as a free agent next autumn. In the meantime, he has a chance to play for a club that, if healthy, could contend for a playoff spot.

"This is a dangerous lineup, top to bottom," Lyon said. "Playing interleague games against them last year I was amazed at how well they pitched and hit."

Lyon turns 30 in August. He played the past three seasons for the Arizona Diamondbacks and had 26 saves in 2008.

Verlander's discovery

Justin Verlander had the market cornered Friday on "upbeat."

The Tigers right-hander was happily discussing his golf game of late, which has been on fire. He was more excited about the pitcher he believes he can become in 2009.

Verlander has had some revealing early meetings with new pitching coach Rick Knapp , who helped him with balance issues.

"He's gotten me back to my roots," said Verlander, whose first two seasons were so stirring (35 victories) he was projected to be a Cy Young Award candidate in 2008. He instead finished 11-17 with a 4.84 ERA.

"I'm one of those guys who can handle a lot of information, soak it up, and use what I want," he said, explaining that Knapp helped him stabilize his front (left) foot, which might have been a factor in last season's problems with pitch location.

"I'm getting back to landing on a flat foot. I don't know why it happened, but last season I began landing on the side of my foot, with my foot slightly open."

Knapp also was interested in re-setting Verlander's hands at the top of his delivery. One of the exercises involved was an old trick used by pitching coaches galore, including former Tigers pitching coach Chuck Hernandez .

The towel drill, as it is known, consists of a pitcher substituting a towel for a baseball as he goes through a standard pitching delivery.

"It isn't anything new," Verlander said. "We used it with Chuck, too. But after that one drill, instead of knocking off, I stayed and used a ball and threw 10 more pitches the way I had thrown with the towel.

"The next bullpen session, I noticed a dramatic difference."

Another advantage, Verlander believes, will be his pitching regimen in 2009. A year ago, he reasoned it would be better to go slowly during camp in a bid to fight fatigue later in the season. He anticipated he could "dial it up" in his latter starts in Florida and be ready for Opening Day.

It didn't work.

"I think I created some bad habits," Verlander said. "There was a consistent battle last season to get it (velocity and strength) back. It was an uphill battle to re-create my mechanics.

"Trying to change your arm angle at midseason is tough to do. Basically, what I got away from prevented me from being me."

He and Javair Gillett , the Tigers strength and conditioning coach, fine-tuned Verlander's offseason routine. There was less focus on the upper body and more on an overall regimen.

"I'm extremely excited," Verlander said.

Center-field sub

Leyland confirmed that he wants to add a legitimate backup center fielder to his roster. His motivation has nothing to do with any shortcomings on the part of a lineup fixture, Curtis Granderson , the team's regular center fielder.

"I want to keep Brandon Inge at third base," Leyland said.

Leyland's plan is to stick with regular positions in the field and in the batting order.

There are few pure center-field candidates in camp. Clete Thomas , who made the Opening Day roster in 2008, can play center. But he is coming off Tommy John surgery. Another candidate is Casper Wells , who had a big second half in 2008 at Double-A Erie.

Granderson's thievery

Granderson stole only 12 bases in 2008 and was caught four times. He stole 26 in 2007 and was nailed but once.

"I'm gonna talk with him this spring," Leyland said, acknowledging that Granderson should be more of a base thief.

"Some of that's my fault (not ordering the steal). But I think he's probably a little too tense. He needs to be a bit more relaxed over there."

You can reach Lynn Henning at (313) 222-2472 lynn.henning@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season   Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season Icon_minipostedSun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 am

Saturday, February 14, 2009
Tiger's tale: It's a gator's tooth
Rodney says unusual neckwear came from 'an alligator in the river'
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- What's he up to now?

Fernando Rodney, the singing Tiger who lost a couple of pounds when he shaved his head last year, has found a way to attract attention again this spring.

With what he wore around his neck in the first workout.

Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season 3279766613_fc517f35b2_o

It's a tooth.

Not one of his own. Not a shark's tooth, either. It's a lethal-looking alligator's tooth. And, frankly, if we didn't know the saber-toothed tiger was extinct, we'd think this Tiger was wearing one of that tiger's teeth.

It's that long.

Where'd you get it, Fernando?

"An alligator in the river," he said.

An alligator in the river -- that sure leaves a lot to the imagination. Wrestling alligators in the off-season is probably prohibited by the Tigers -- or would be if they thought it had to be.

Then again, there's no indication Rodney is the one who's responsible for an alligator somewhere having one less tooth than it once did. But there it was, swinging around his neck during the first spring session of drills -- looking like it could do some real damage if not handled with care.

No matter what, though, the tooth adds to what makes Rodney one of the true characters on the Tigers. He's the relief pitcher, as you'll recall, who sings in the bullpen during a game.

There's even a bit on YouTube of Rodney and fellow reliever Bobby Seay singing "Gasolina" at Miller Auditorium in Kalamazoo during the Tigers' caravan last month.

And don't forget his hair. When asked what he was going to do with the three plastic bags in his locker containing his shorn hair last summer, Rodney said, "Send it home as proof."

Apparently as proof that he had, indeed, gotten it trimmed.

This appears to be the Year of the Tooth, though -- unless Rodney's told it's just too dangerous looking to wear during workouts.

Is it dangerous looking? Well, let's just say it's not your standard molar.

Been a while

Notice how long it's been since anyone has worn No. 4 on the Tigers -- and we don't mean the month that Cameron Maybin wore it while he was up in 2007?

Not since Bobby Higginson hung it up in 2005, the number's not been worn by a Tiger. But shortstop Adam Everett will wear it this year.

It didn't that long to pass out Edgar Renteria's No. 8, however. In fact, it took no time at all. Catcher Gerald Laird will wear No. 8

Robertson's long winter

The only Tiger to winter in the Detroit area, Nate Robertson, finally might have met his match.

"This winter really got to me," Roberton said. "Michigan winters haven't bothered me before. But this one did."

What does that tell you? If nothing else, it should tell you that Robertson didn't arrive in Florida until afterthe weekend that topped out at 5 below -- or whatever the tropical high was in Detroit that January day or two.

Busting his chops

New pitching coach Rick Knapp is a worker. In fact, he works so intently that sometimes he loses track of the clock.

"Once he gets working, he forgets about time," said manager Jim Leyland, who told this story about Knapp:

Leyland on Friday told Knapp he wanted to meet with him at 11 a.m. Knapp said he was on his way out at the time to work with a pitcher, so Knapp suggested 11:15.

"Fine," said Leyland.

The appointed time came and went. So did 11:30.

"About 11:35," said Leyland, "I was sitting here talking to another coach, so I shut my doors and locked them. A little later, I heard a tap, so I said, 'Who is it?'"

"Knapper," was the reply.

"Who?" said Leyland.

"Rick Knapp," said Knapp.

"I'm meeting with my current coaches, not my former coaches," answered Leyland -- who, by the way, couldn't be happier so far with how Knapp is going about his business, and how he's fitting in.

"We had fun with it -- and Rick laughed," said Leyland. "We had a good pitching coach the last three years (Chuck Hernandez) and I think we have another good one now."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season   Tigers News - FROM THE DETROIT NEWS 2009 Season Icon_minipostedSun Feb 15, 2009 12:03 am

At the Tigers Caravan stop in Kalamazoo, Mich. at Miller Auditorium, relievers Fernando Rodney and Bobby Seay entertained the crowd with their version of Gasolina.