DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog Empty
PostSubject: Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog   Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog Icon_minipostedWed Dec 09, 2009 1:46 am

Wrapping up the trade
From the Detroit Tiger Weblog
Posted by billfer on December 8, 2009.

After some extensive reflection I’ve come to the conclusion that this deal will never really sit well with me. By never I don’t actually mean for eternity, but at least until the fruits of the trade bear some sort of championship or something. That isn’t a reflection on the players the Tigers received, more on the circumstances and the players they let go. Still, there are ends to tie up and dots to connect and other miscellany in need of blogging.

Roster Moves

The Tigers are plus 2 on their 40 man roster once this deal is made official. Jon Morosi tweeted that the Tigers have let it be known that Bobby Seay, Dusty Ryan, and Jeff Larish are on the trade block.

I can see trying to get something for players who aren’t in the plans, and it’s clear that Ryan isn’t a Jim Leyland favorite (and they signed Robinzon Diaz to a minor league deal today), but why hold space on the roster for Dontrelle Willis or Don Kelly?

Lefty-palooza

In the last 2 days the Tigers have picked up 3 left handed bullpen arms. The Tigers dropped Clay Rapada but they still have Fu-Te Ni and Seay on the roster. Now Thomas is kind of a question mark but the Tigers expect him to help at the big league level. Daniel Schlereth may need more seasoning in the minors and it remains to be seen if the Tigers will use Phil Coke in the rotation or the pen.

But more and more signs point to Seay being non-tendered. Seay would likely make about $2 million so that could potentially be another opportunity to save $1.5 million.

Payroll

Given today’s moves, and even allowing for a return by Seay, I have estimated the Tigers payroll to be about $115 million heading into 2010. In 2011 that committed money drops to $49 million with Magglio Ordonez’s option and $34 million without. Of course that only accounts for 3 players so the Tigers would have some holes to fill.

Unfortunately I do believe that today’s move will have a negative impact on attendance before the season even begins. People are pissed and I’ve heard many say they are cancelling their season tickets. It wouldn’t surprise me to see outrage and empty checking accounts combine to knock down the season ticket base by 3000 which is roughly a quarter of a million tickets. It gets worse if the Tigers record sinks and let’s face it, this team isn’t as good as last year.

Silver Linings

Despite being bummed out that Granderson is gone, the reviews of the trade from around the country have been mostly favorable. Keith Law, Dave Cameron, and Rob Neyer have all said that the Tigers did well. Danny Knobler talked to several executives that thought the Tigers got a real nice collection of players. Mike Rogers put some estimates on performance and salary and things seem to work out well in that regard as well.

I’ll just reiterate now that when I speak ill of this trade, it isn’t the players the Tigers got back. I think the Tigers got a decent package. I just never wanted to part with Granderson in the first place.

The legacy

Dave Dombrowski has made a number of bold moves in his career. He traded Randy Johnson for Mark Langston. He turned some blockbusters as the Marlins GM and the Miguel Cabrera trade was epic. But if this trade doesn’t work out (and we won’t know if it works out for a couple years), this will be his legacy in the Detroit due to Granderson’s popularity. It takes guts to make a move like that.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog   Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog Icon_minipostedWed Dec 09, 2009 1:51 am

Damn, take Willis and Robertson off the 40 man Roster! Nobody wants them, so why worry!!!!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog   Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog Icon_minipostedWed Dec 09, 2009 4:33 pm

Well, Robertson did ok after he returned from injury.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
msgol

Number of posts : 570
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : all of them!
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog   Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog Icon_minipostedThu Dec 10, 2009 1:11 pm

i'm bummed, too - granderson and jackson are decent players, and I think grandy's a future hall of famer. This had better yield a championchip or there'll be lotsa splainin to do.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog   Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog Icon_minipostedThu Dec 10, 2009 7:24 pm

We lost Jackson because he has Boras as his agent... Grandy because they backloaded his contract (where he got his big raises starting this year and the go up fast in the next two), yet if they had not let Magg's contract vest, then his 18 mil would have covered all three outfielders salary!

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog   Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog Icon_minipostedThu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Damnit Maggs!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog   Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Wrapping up the trade from The Detroit Tiger Weblog
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: