DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

The Great Ziegfeld (1936)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

The Great Ziegfeld (1936) Empty
PostSubject: The Great Ziegfeld (1936)   The Great Ziegfeld (1936) Icon_minipostedMon Nov 30, 2009 3:52 am

The Great Ziegfeld is a somewhat autobiographical film about Florenz Ziegfeld, Jr. who was a real Broadway producer. The film chronicles his life as an early producer until his death. The film isn't particularly accurate as to how things actually went, but I'm not sure it was supposed to. This film is considered a musical, but it didn't really have all that much music for a musical, especially in the first half.

This film won the Oscar for best picture and that was the only reason I watched it. Luise Rainer (who is still alive at age 99 and has the distinction of the oldest living Oscar winner and the earliest living Oscar winner) was awarded a best actress Oscar. I'm sort of surprised by this as she had virtually no role in the last hour or so of this film. The film won a third Oscar for best dance direction, an Oscar that was awarded only three times.

Overall, this film was tolerable but nothing particularly special. Other than winning an Academy Award for best picture, this film is not particularly well-known today. I didn't mind the first half but all the musical numbers during the Broadway shows in the second half got old fast. The three hour run time didn't help much either.

60/100
D-
Back to top Go down

The Great Ziegfeld (1936)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: