DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate Empty
PostSubject: Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate   Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate Icon_minipostedWed Oct 28, 2009 12:02 am

Posted: Oct. 26, 2009

By JOHN LOWE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

With its huge power alleys, Comerica Park would seem to be built for doubles.

But its tenants, the Tigers, finished last in the American League in doubles this season.

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski calls this "the most surprising statistic" produced by the '09 Tigers.

Stranger still: the Tigers had fewer doubles at home (120) than on the road (125).

The lack of doubles represented one more sign of how the Tigers' offense didn't function as expected.

"When you talk about the Tigers and our ability not to score runs and not hit the way we should, it's the lack of doubles," Dombrowski said. "We have a ballpark that is conducive to a doubles-hitting club. It has tremendous gaps."

This was the Tigers' 10th season at Comerica Park. Their 245 doubles were their second-lowest total for a Comerica season, ahead of only 2003, when the Tigers lost 119 games.

In 2007, the Tigers led the AL in doubles with 352, 107 more than they had this season. Magglio Ordoñez had 54 doubles that season, most in the majors.

Ordoñez fell to 24 doubles this season. One of them was the bases-clearing gap shot on the final Wednesday of the season that put the Tigers on the brink of the division title.

But then the Tigers went 28 straight innings at home without an extra-base hit. By the time they broke that streak, they were on the brink of falling into a first-place tie with the Twins.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate   Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate Icon_minipostedThu Oct 29, 2009 10:53 am

I can't say that I'm surprised. The park was built for a team that had speed, and with the exception of Granderson, DD traded away those speedsters and brought in HR hitters that either go deep, or K. While it's nice to have players that can hit the long ball, I'd settle for more contact hitters than power bats.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate   Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate Icon_minipostedThu Oct 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Ohios#1TigerFan wrote:
I can't say that I'm surprised. The park was built for a team that had speed, and with the exception of Granderson, DD traded away those speedsters and brought in HR hitters that either go deep, or K. While it's nice to have players that can hit the long ball, I'd settle for more contact hitters than power bats.

True. It seems DD needs to balance the club. Get 2/3 contact speedster hitters to get on base and in scoring position and 1/3 HR hitters to knock in the loose change. I also say fine the players who are bullheaded and will not listen to the coaches, and strike out above a certain % of at bats!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate   Dearth of doubles gauges Tigers' weakness at plate Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: