DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas

Go down 
+5
msgol
laprimamirala
gs78
catbox_9
GoGetEmTigers
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Empty
PostSubject: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedTue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Benches clear after Sox slugger is hit by Tigers righty's pitch

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

08/11/09 8:23 PM ET

BOSTON -- Tempers flared in the bottom of the second inning at Fenway Park on Tuesday night when Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis was hit in the back by an 89-mph pitch by Tigers right-hander Rick Porcello.

Youkilis immediately charged the mound and threw his helmet toward Porcello. Youkilis and Porcello then dragged each other to the ground. From there, both benches and bullpens emptied.

Youkilis and Porcello were both ejected and are all but certain to be disciplined by Major League Baseball.

This game developed tension early, when Tigers star Miguel Cabrera was hit on the left hand by a pitch in the first inning by Red Sox right-hander Junichi Tazawa.

Later in that inning, Carlos Guillen took an aggressive takeout slide into Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia in his successful attempt to break up a double play. Manager Terry Francona immediately came out and argued with second-base umpire Scott Barry, but to no avail.

In the bottom of the first, Red Sox first baseman Victor Martinez gestured at Porcello after taking a pitch high and tight that nearly hit him.

Cabrera had to leave the game with two outs in the top of the second when his left hand throbbed after hitting a foul ball.

Porcello drilled Youkilis with his first pitch in the bottom of the second inning.

Mike Lowell pinch-ran for Youkilis at first base, while the Tigers called on Chris Lambert to pitch in place of Porcello.

The Red Sox greeted Lambert loudly. David Ortiz hit a single and Jason Bay followed with a game-tying, three-run homer that soared over the Green Monster.

Francona was ejected later in the bottom of the second by Barry for arguing when J.D. Drew was called out trying to steal second.

Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 1:06 am

I hate retaliatory throwing at people. It's dumb. Look what it got us tonight.

I'm generally old school about stuff, but not this. Don't throw at people. Theoretically it could be dangerous and even when nobody gets hurt it's stupid.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 am

Wasn't even that big of a fight;

Not like that brawl the Tigers had in 1982 with the Twins or when Farnsworth body slammed that guy a few years back

Neither player should be suspended; Not in the middle of a Pennant Race; maybe a fine; but that should be it
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 am

we'll see. Looks like the umps wanted an excuse to hand the Red Sox the game....
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 am

Postscript from the fracas
BECK'S BLOG
Posted on August 12, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Manager Jim Leyland wasn't saying much after the game -- on anything, really, but especially the second inning. Fortunately, the players were talking. Here's a roundup of the reactions from the Tigers.

Starter Rick Porcello didn't take questions on his role, but gave a general quote on his view of the situation:

"The only thing I have to say about tonight is that I was not intentionally throwing at Kevin Youkilis," Porcello said. "That's all I have to say. It was unintentional. There was nobody on. It's a 3-0 game. I was not trying to hit him intentionally."

Porcello didn't say anything about his surprise that Youkilis charged him, but his expression when it happened said it all. The fact that catcher Alex Avila couldn't get to him spoke to his surprise.

"Once it hit him," Avila said, "I looked at him to see what he was going to do, and he kind of just stood there. I didn't think he was going to charge. I reached back to get another ball, and he took off. I wasn't able to get between him and Porcello, and Rick was more surprised than I was."

Avila said it was supposed to be a sinker down and in.

Porcello also said he was unharmed in the pile. A good part of the credit for that should go to Brandon Inge, who tried to keep other players from piling on, and Gerald Laird, who pulled Porcello out.

"I was in there just trying to get to him and get him out," Laird said. "You don't want to see one of your stars get hurt. A lot of things can happen in a pile."

Said Inge: "Basically, there were a couple people that jumped on top of me. I was on Youkilis. At that point, I was kind of wrapped up, trying to pull him off. Youkilis was kind of on top of Porcello, I was on Youkilis, someone else was on me, and they were piling on. I feared that we were going to crush Porcello, so I took my arms off of Youkilis and put my hands on the ground and try to hold the pile off the two of them."

Laird not only came to Porcello's defense physically, but also postgame.

"Miggy's a big slugger in the middle of our lineup, and you've got to protect your sluggers," Laird said. "Today, that wasn't intentional, but that's the second time they hit him, and they hit two guys yesterday. That's just part of the game. I don't think Ricky meant anything by the Youkilis thing, but the one in the first inning with Martinez, it's just to show them. You're gonna pitch inside, we're gonna pitch inside. That's just the way it is. It's baseball, and today it just got a little out of hand."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 10:16 am

FROM MLB NETWORK
Click on Tempers title to see video

Tempers flare in Boston

MLB Tonight on the fracas at Fenway
08.11.09: MLB Tonight discusses the fracas in Boston between Kevin Youkilis and Detroit's Rick Porcello
Back to top Go down
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
msgol

Number of posts : 570
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : all of them!

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 10:18 am

this is the last thing anyone needs, especially with one of the teams that is batting better than the Tigers right now. Against that, a 3 run lead was good. Two losses - 1 run and 2 run indicates the Tigers are not doing their potential. Let's hope to salvage the third game. bad enough to be teetering at the top.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 10:22 am

Youkilis charges the mound
Added: 08/12/09 Duration: 02:55

08.11.09: Continuing tensions from Monday, Kevin Youkilis charges the mound after being plunked by Rick Porcello, clearing the benches

click here to see video
Back to top Go down
Pudgerocks
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Pudgerocks

Female
Number of posts : 392
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Still not over Ivan but am going to have to defect to Carlos!
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 12:18 pm

It seems that a seasoned player like Youklis would know better than to run like a charging bull at a rookie. Was the pitch on purpose? Who knows! I think the clincher was the throwing of the helmet. Youklis will face a suspension for that-charging the mound and throwing equipment-probably 3-5 games. Anyway, my personal favorite moment of the whole night was when the Reds manager got ejected and he threw his bubble gum on the field. OOOHHHH bubble gum-guess he really showed them! If I was the ump, I would have told him on his way off the field to make sure he grabbed his gum. How childish!
Back to top Go down
http://klbennett426@yahoo.com
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
msgol

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 12:47 pm

if you look at the video, the pitch was not intentional....why would you give up a 3 - 0 lead????
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Even if the pitch was intentional, Youk had it coming. Second night they plunked Miggy. Why plunk our superstar two nights in a row? Of course we're gonna plunk theirs.

Good job by Rick P. defending himself. And if it was an intentional pitch, good job as well because you can't just let people throw at your superstars. Just can't let that happen. Especially not 2 nights in a row.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 4:44 pm

Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas BDD_KY_fight_81109_ap
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 4:47 pm

That's right! Youk won't be charging much more if he gets his ass taken down like that.

Show em Rick P!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Porcello, Youkilis suspended 5 games each after brawl
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

After their second-inning fracas in Tuesday's game, Tigers pitcher Rick Porcello and Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis were suspended five games by Major League Baseball.

Both players will appeal the suspensions.

In the second inning Tuesday night at Fenway Park, Youkilis charged the mound after being hit by a Porcello pitch. Youkilis flung his helmet at Porcello, who in turn slammed Youkilis to the ground.

Both benches cleared in the incident, but no punches were thrown.

The Red Sox won the game, 7-5, as Youkilis' replacement, Mike Lowell, hit two home runs.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Yeah, technically Rick P. whipped Youk's ass if it woulda went on.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Porcello fined, suspended five games

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS REPORTS • August 12, 2009

Tigers pitcher Rick Porcello has been suspended five games and fined by Major League Baseball for his role in Tuesday night’s brawl in Boston.

Kevin Youkilis of the Red Sox was fined and suspended for the same number of games. He will start his suspension tonight and not appeal.

Porcello said he is appealing the penalties.

He said he has no injuries and doesn’t feel any effects from the fight and he’s on course to pitch Sunday vs. Kansas City.

MLB vice president Bob Watson cited Youkilis for charging the mound, throwing his helmet at Porcello and inciting Tuesday night’s brawl. Watson penalized Porcello for intentionally throwing pitches at Victor Martinez in the first inning and Youkilis in the second.

In addition, Tigers pitcher Edwin Jackson was fined for what Watson said were aggressive actions during brawl.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Youkilis, umpires at fault in Tigers-Red Sox brawl
Keith Law
Tuesday, August 11, 2009

There are two real culprits in this Tigers-Red Sox mess, when a brawl broke out in the bottom of the second. First is Kevin Youkilis, who showed once again that he can't keep his emotions in check by charging the mound without a moment of hesitation after he was hit by a pitch. Tigers starter Rick Porcello backed off and raised his hands as if to ask why Youkilis was rushing the mound. Those of us in the scouts' seats had the same reaction. Porcello looked like he was in for a dominant outing, sitting 91-94 with great sinking life, and had a three-run lead.

He had a win in his sights; was he really throwing at Youkilis, or was it another two-seamer that ran too far to his arm side? Youkilis had probably already decided he wanted some pretense for charging the mound (maybe to get Porcello out of the game?) and he should be suspended for acting like a fool.

The other culprit is the umpiring crew, and while some responsibility has to fall on home plate umpire Brian O'Nora, it's time MLB took a more serious look at Tuesday's first base ump and crew chief, Jerry Crawford.

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 5:53 pm

They are right! Damn umpires! I don't think Porcello did it on purpose, but even if he did, Youk had it coming.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 pm

Umps on the Boston dole! Selig doesn't want his precious Yankmees and Pink Undies to be hurt!
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedWed Aug 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Whoooo Keith Law!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedThu Aug 13, 2009 11:26 am

Image hosted by servimg.com

thumbs up
Back to top Go down
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
msgol

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedThu Aug 13, 2009 1:19 pm

yeah, now Tigs got swept when they should not have - they coulda taken at least 1!!!!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedThu Aug 13, 2009 9:18 pm

If they got rid of the DH this wouldn't happen. When pitchers bat they do this a lot less often.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedThu Aug 13, 2009 9:30 pm

LET THEM HIT

Phooey on the DH
Back to top Go down
Pudgerocks
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Pudgerocks

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Still not over Ivan but am going to have to defect to Carlos!

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedThu Aug 13, 2009 11:57 pm

msgol wrote:
yeah, now Tigs got swept when they should not have - they coulda taken at least 1!!!!

Wait-I'm confused-I thought they won the last one today. scratch
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedFri Aug 14, 2009 12:10 am

Pudgerocks wrote:
msgol wrote:

Tigers shut out "botox" 2-0 under Verlander's dominating pitching today! So you are correct Pudgerocks, we won the last one.
Back to top Go down
Pudgerocks
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Pudgerocks

Female

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedFri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Pudgerocks wrote:
msgol wrote:

Tigers shut out "botox" 2-0 under Verlander's dominating pitching today! So you are correct Pudgerocks, we won the last one.

WHEW! I thought I was losing it there for a minute. I did turn 40 this year but I thought I was doing ok! Verlander was on fire tonight-100mph! Thata boy! clap
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedFri Aug 14, 2009 2:18 am

At least the Tigers won one game in this series
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedFri Aug 14, 2009 3:11 pm

I love that picture with the caption. :lol:
Back to top Go down
msgol
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
msgol

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_minipostedFri Aug 14, 2009 3:39 pm

yeah, I thought it was just a 3 game series. good job on that last one!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas   Youkilis, Porcello ejected after fracas Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next