DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Gardenhire gets tossed out, then rips into umpire

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Gardenhire gets tossed out, then rips into umpire Empty
PostSubject: Gardenhire gets tossed out, then rips into umpire   Gardenhire gets tossed out, then rips into umpire Icon_minipostedSat Aug 08, 2009 11:45 pm

BY JOHN LOWE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • August 8, 2009

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said home-plate umpire Hunter Wendelstedt "acted like a big shot" when he ejected Gardenhire without good cause in the second inning Friday night at Comerica Park.

Gardenhire then expanded his criticism. He said Wendelstedt considers himself "God as umpires go."

Wendelstedt said he had warned Gardenhire several times before the ejection to halt the complaints coming from the dugout that Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was balking.

"That's very unfair what he said," Wendelstedt told a pool reporter. "Basically for a manager that has been around for so long, you would think he would understand the way baseball operates, that a warning is a warning. And he was warned numerous occasions.

"He ejected himself. ... Based on his comments, there will be an investigation, and I would challenge him to sit down and watch the replays. Because he was wrong on whether the pitcher was balking or not, and we can sit down, and I'm going to invite him to my umpire school. If he wants to learn what is a balk, he can come down in January to umpire school and we'll teach him."

In the top of the second, Gardenhire came on the field, and within seconds Wendelstedt ejected him.

"He took his mask off and yelled, 'I'm going to throw you out if I hear one more thing,' " Gardenhire said. "I said, 'I haven't said a word.'

"I walked out (of the dugout), and he threw me out," Gardenhire said. "He says, 'How do you like that?' "

Gardenhire said Wendelstedt made several calls Friday night that "were not good. He doesn't probably think so, because he's God as umpires go," Gardenhire said.

Even as he spoke, Gardenhire realized he might be earning a suspension with his comments. "I'll get fined. He'll be fine," Gardenhire told reporters. "Anything else, before I get suspended here, if I already haven't?"

CREDE SIDELINED: Third baseman Joe Crede, the noted Tigers crusher, didn't play Friday night and likely will miss this three-game series because of renewed trouble with his right shoulder, Gardenhire said before the game.

Crede has better career numbers against the Tigers than against any other team: 25 homers, 71 RBIs. He has hit 15 of those homers at Comerica Park.

After years of torching the Tigers with the White Sox, Crede joined the Twins this season. In each of Minnesota's first four wins against the Tigers this season, he drove in the run that put the Twins ahead to stay.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Gardenhire gets tossed out, then rips into umpire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gardenhire gets tossed out, then rips into umpire   Gardenhire gets tossed out, then rips into umpire Icon_minipostedSun Aug 09, 2009 3:29 am

If Harry Wendelstedt hadn't been a MLB umpire; chances are Hunter Wendelstedt wouldn't be one today;

However; Hunter Wendelstendt is one of the few umpires in MLB that wears the old school style umpire coat when he works the plate

Too bad it was too warm for him to wear it; then again if it were chilly; he wouldn't be within 300 miles of Comerica Park
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Minnesota Twins-
Jump to: