DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Ex-Tiger Alan Trammell sings praises of Porcello, Inge

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Ex-Tiger Alan Trammell sings praises of Porcello, Inge Empty
PostSubject: Ex-Tiger Alan Trammell sings praises of Porcello, Inge   Ex-Tiger Alan Trammell sings praises of Porcello, Inge Icon_minipostedFri Jun 26, 2009 12:20 am

BY JOHN LOWE • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • June 25, 2009

Alan Trammell has a direct connection to Brandon Inge and Rick Porcello.

Trammell met Inge on what Inge recalls as his first day in pro ball -- at the Detroit Tigers' Jamestown (N.Y.) farm club 11 summers ago. Trammell later became Inge's Tigers manager.

Porcello is 20. He is likely the Tigers' best performer at that age or younger since ... Trammell, also 20, played full-time at shortstop in 1978.

On Wednesday night, Trammell watched Porcello from his coaching post in the Cubs' dugout.

"He handles himself quite well, and he looks like he's going to be around a long time," Trammell said. "He's got a nice feel for a breaking ball and a good sinker.

"At 20 years old, that's pretty impressive."

Inge bailed out Porcello from the first of many jams that he and the bullpen faced. With runners at first and second and none out in the second, Inge fielded Jake Fox's grounder and began to throw to second before he even stepped on the bag for the force.

Second baseman Placido Polanco had to reach down for Inge's throw, and Fox barely beat Polanco's relay to first. Otherwise, Inge would have launched an around-the-horn triple play.

The play exemplified to Trammell why Inge is a standout third baseman.

"Any great third baseman has good first-step quickness," Trammell said. "That has to be the case, so you can read the hop and be on it.

"Brandon is exceptional at it. His first-step quickness is as good as there is in the big leagues. Really. He's that good at that. He should win a Gold Glove at some point."

The Tigers' last turned a triple play on Aug. 1, 2001. That one began when Seattle's Mark McLemore lined to second baseman Damion Easley.

The crowd saluted this triple-play attempt with a huge ovation.

"I appreciate that," Inge said. "The way they responded was awesome.

"It was a fun try. But the same knee (the left one) that kind of hurt me the other day is the same knee I tagged the base with, and I couldn't get enough on the throw to Polanco. If my knee was OK, we would have turned it."

He aggravated the knee when he charged a ball the night before. He said both knees have hurt lately.

"I think it's from catching last year, and it's catching up to me a little bit," he said. "It's nothing I haven't been dealing with all year."

WHO'D A THUNK IT: There’s a curiosity about Miguel Cabrera’s power production this season. His homer Wednesday night was his 16th of the season. All but one of them have come off right-handed pitching.

Cabrera has one homer in 59 at-bats off lefties. Last season, when he led the AL in homers, he had nine homers off lefties -- one for every 17 at-bats off them.

This will all be something to keep in mind today when Tigers’ latest streak of not facing a left-hander ends. Lefty Ted Lilly is due to start for the Cubs in the finale of the three-game series.

This will mark the first time in 10 games, and only the sixth time in the last month, that a lefty has started against the Tigers.

For the season, the Tigers are eight games above .500 when a lefty starts against them. They’re a game above .500 when they face a right-hander -- as they’ve done in all six games of their winning streak.

LOW-SCORING WINS: The Tigers have nine wins this season in which they’ve scored three runs or fewer. That ranks second in the league to Seattle, which has 10, according to Baseball-Reference.com. In 2006, when their pitching led them to the playoffs, the Tigers won 19 games in which they scored three runs or fewer.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: