DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

1960s Music

Go down 
+7
laprimamirala
GoGetEmTigers
gs78
iluvpudge7
tigersaint
bobrob2004
catbox_9
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

1960s Music - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1960s Music   1960s Music - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 pm

1963/66 - Hanky Panky - Tommy James and The Shondells

wiki wrote:
Barry and Greenwich authored the song in 1963. They were in the middle of a recording session, and realized they needed a "B" side to a single. (It appeared on the flip of The Raindrops' hit "That Boy John.") The duo then went into the hall and penned the song in 20 minutes. Barry and Greenwich weren't particularly pleased with the song, and deemed it inferior to the rest of their work. "I was surprised when [Tommy James version] was released," Barry commented to Billboard's Fred Bronson, "As far as I was concerned it was a terrible song. In my mind it wasn't written to be a song, just a B-side."

Although only a "B" side, "Hanky Panky" became popular with garage rock bands, and many started including it in their act. James heard it being performed by one such group in a club in South Bend, Indiana. "I really only remembered a few lines from the song, so when we went to record it, I had to make up the rest of the song," he told Bronson, "I just pieced it back together from what I remembered."

James' version was released on the local label, Snap Records and sold well in the tri-state area of Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. However, lacking national distribution, the song quickly disappeared. James moved on, breaking up the Shondells, and finishing high school. In 1965, unemployed James was contacted by a Pittsburgh disc jockey. The DJ had started playing "Hanky Panky", and it had become popular in that area.

Tommy then decided to re-release the song, travelling to Pittsburg where he hired a local group to be the Shondells (the original members declined to re-form). After making appearances on TV and clubs in the city, he took a master of "Hanky Panky" to New York, where he sold it to Roulette Records. "The amazing thing is we did not re-record the song," James told Bronson, "I don't think anybody can record a song that bad and make it sound good. It had to sound amateurish like that. I think if we'd fooled with it too much we'd have fouled it up." It was released promptly and took the top position of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks in June 1966.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 1960s Music   1960s Music - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 08, 2008 3:22 pm

1967 - I Think We're Alone Now - Tommy James and The Shondells

Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 1960s Music   1960s Music - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 08, 2008 3:26 pm

1968 - Mony Mony - Tommy James and The Shondells

wiki wrote:
"Mony Mony" was credited to Tommy James, Bo Gentry, Richie Cordell, and Bobby Bloom, who had a top ten record of his own with "Montego Bay". The hook in the song is said to have been inspired by James' view of a Mutual of New York's MONY sign on the New York City skyline. As Tommy James says in 1995 interview in Hitch magazine:

True story: I had the track done before I had a title. I wanted something catchy like "Sloopy" or "Bony Maroney," but everything sounded so stupid. So Ritchie Cordell and I were writing it in New York City, and we were about to throw in the towel when I went out onto the terrace, looked up and saw the Mutual of New York building (which has its initials illuminated in red at its top). I said, "That's gotta be it. Ritchie, come here, you've gotta see this." It's almost as if God Himself had said, "Here's the title." I've always thought that if I had looked the other way, it might have been called "Hotel Taft."
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 1960s Music   1960s Music - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 08, 2008 3:31 pm

1968 - Crimson and Clover - Tommy James and The Shondells - The long version! Yay2

wiki wrote:
The title of the song came to James while he was reading The Bible's Book of Revelation, according to James in a 1985 interview in Hitch magazine:

I took the title from the Book of Revelations in the Bible, reading about the New Jerusalem. The words jumped out at me, and they're not together; they're spread out over three or four verses. But it seemed to go together, it's my favorite of all my songs and one of our most requested.[1]

However some sources cite the Song of Solomon instead.[2] It has also been suggested that this song was also inspired by a book James had read called The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (Jehovah's Witnesses). The book gives information about the future of mankind based on biblical scripture, and has a blue cover.[3] However, according to James's manager, James was actually inspired by his reading of the Book of Ezekiel where it speaks of the Blue Shekinah Light which represented the presence of the Almighty God and the Books of Isaiah and Revelation where it speaks of a bright future of a brotherhood of mankind living in peace and harmony.[4]

In an opposite interpretatory direction, at the time and for many years later, other listeners thought "Crystal Blue Persuasion" a drugs song; in 1979, noted writer Dave Marsh described it as "a transparent allegory about [James'] involvement with amphetamines."[5]

Regardless of inspiration and meaning, when released as a single in June of 1969, "Crystal Blue Persuasion" became one of the biggest hits for the group, peaking at number two on the Billboard Pop Singles chart. The single version differs from the album version of the song, with horn overdubs added to the mix and a longer bongos overdub before the third verse.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 1960s Music   1960s Music - Page 9 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 09, 2008 7:28 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
1966 - You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - Dusty Springfield

How about the original?

1963 - Io Che Non Vivo - Pino Donaggio

(He's singing in Italian by the way).
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 1960s Music   1960s Music - Page 9 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 27, 2008 9:09 pm

1964 - Time Is on My Side - The Rolling Stones

Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: 1960s Music   1960s Music - Page 9 Icon_minipostedTue Mar 04, 2008 5:03 pm

1964 - Go Now - The Moody Blues