DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Help me out - take a survey

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Help me out - take a survey Empty
PostSubject: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedWed Apr 08, 2009 5:36 pm

I need to do a survey for my English class essay, so if you could please help me out and answer the following questions. All information will be anonymous .

The Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 requires any organization that receives a federal contract of at least $25,000 to certify that it will provide a drug-free workplace. Since 1988, drug testing in the workplace has become a means for federal agencies and contractors to certify that their workplaces are drug free. A number of state, municipal, and private-sector employers have followed suit, also implementing drug testing programs.

The main question is: Is drug testing in the workplace necessary? Would mandatory drug testing be in violation of your employee privacy? Please give me your feedback in the following survey...

Drug Testing Survey

Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedWed Apr 08, 2009 5:39 pm

My essay is due on Saturday, 4/18, so any information sent after 4/17 will be useless to me. Please try to answer this survey before then.

Thanks

Also, I'm also suppose to interview someone. If anyone has any experiences with drug testing or feel really strongly about it one way or another, please send me a PM and I'll set up an interview.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedThu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 am

Bump
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedThu Apr 09, 2009 11:00 am

Do answers from swiss companies count too? I would take the survey if you tell me it's ok with your essay.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedThu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 am

swiss_tiger wrote:
Do answers from swiss companies count too? I would take the survey if you tell me it's ok with your essay.

Sure! The more answers I get, the better.

Even though it talks about a US law, I'm going to be incorporating a Canadian article in my essay.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedSat Apr 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Bump
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedFri Apr 17, 2009 3:06 pm

Closed

Any information I receive now will be useless to me. I want to once again thank everyone that participated.

The one major question that I am going to use in my paper is...

Should companies require regular drug testing?

No - 86%
Yes - 14%
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedFri Apr 17, 2009 3:44 pm

86% said no? Either a lot of people who took your survey are drug addicts or else that is somewhat surprising to me.

I don't think they should though and I'm not a drug addict.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedFri Apr 17, 2009 4:18 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
86% said no? Either a lot of people who took your survey are drug addicts or else that is somewhat surprising to me.

I don't think they should though and I'm not a drug addict.

Most of the reasons I got were the invasion of privacy. That and the if there's no suspicion, then there should be no reason to test.

That being said, I can counter and say, "if you have nothing to hide, then why hide it?" A lot of what they test is illegal, so it's not the company's policy but the government's policy. If a policeman pulls you over and arrests you for possession of illegal drugs, how is it any different if the company finds an employee with possession of drugs? Would you want to work with someone who's a drug addict?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedFri Apr 17, 2009 4:54 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
Would you want to work with someone who's a drug addict?

The reason I was against drug testing went like this....

If a guy uses cocaine constantly but shows up to work on time and doesn't act like a drug addict (unlikely, but possible) I'd much rather work with him than a guy who is a total drunk and shows up to work drunk all the time. Of course the drunk would probably be fired. What if instead of being a drunk the guy was a chain smoker and we worked somewhere where you could smoke while working? I'd rather have the coke addict.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedFri Apr 17, 2009 5:22 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
Would you want to work with someone who's a drug addict?

The reason I was against drug testing went like this....

If a guy uses cocaine constantly but shows up to work on time and doesn't act like a drug addict (unlikely, but possible) I'd much rather work with him than a guy who is a total drunk and shows up to work drunk all the time. Of course the drunk would probably be fired. What if instead of being a drunk the guy was a chain smoker and we worked somewhere where you could smoke while working? I'd rather have the coke addict.

I'm giving away my position in my paper when I say this, but that's exactly what research shows - drug addicts don't show many signs of lowered performance in their work (if any at all), at least not as much as drunks. If their work performance isn't effected, then is there any reason to fire that person, even if they are high all the time?

And I'm glad you bought up alcohol abuse, because that's another point I want to make in my paper. When people are caught being drug addicts, they get fired. When people are alcohol abusers, the company will keep them on, and pay for their AA meetings. What's more cost-efficient? Pay for drug tests for employees who don't show any signs of lowered performance or pay an employee for AA meetings who shows all kinds of lowered performance?

Here's a direct quote that I'm going to use in my paper...
Quote :
...demonstrated that workplace drug testing reduces injuries and worker's compensation claims. Yet, findings concerning organizational performance indicators are based on numbers of cases too small to be statistically meaningful. While they are informative and provide basis for speculation, they are not in any way definitive or conclusive, and should be regarded as hypotheses for future research.

Sure, make a claim and don't back it up with numbers...Rolling Eyes What is this, an MVP voting?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedFri Apr 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Can you fire a drug addict? I thought if they were seeking treatment they were covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Then again they usually aren't seeking treatment.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedFri Apr 17, 2009 5:52 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Can you fire a drug addict? I thought if they were seeking treatment they were covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Then again they usually aren't seeking treatment.

Yeah, I think you're right. I should probably get all the facts straight in the paper correct if I want to get a good grade. I have all the information, it's just reading it and organizing it that I have to do. And I have to go to tutoring pretty soon Frown. Good thing it's only for 2 hours.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_minipostedFri Apr 17, 2009 5:55 pm

On the bright side you get paid to tutor. I don't get paid not to tutor Frown

It'll be at least a few more weeks before I find out if I got that job or not. In the mean time food stamps for me (not really).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me out - take a survey   Help me out - take a survey Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Help me out - take a survey
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: