DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Empty
PostSubject: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 11:32 am

Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Dozens register for medical marijuana
Crowd gathers in Lansing on first day to apply for legal use
Charlie Cain / Detroit News Lansing Bureau

Lansing -- They laughed and hugged, posed for group photos and celebrated that they were finally going to be allowed to legally use marijuana to treat their medical problems.

No one wore a bigger smile when dropping off an application Monday to join the Michigan Medical Marijuana Registry than Renee Wolfe, a 48-year-old mother of four sons who has been illegally using pot for 30 years.

"Marijuana allows me to eat, allows me to live a fairly normal life," said Wolfe, an Ann Arbor resident who used a wheelchair to roll into the Michigan Department of Community Health building to apply. She has battled multiple sclerosis since 1979.

"I'm able to walk better when I smoke," she said.

Monday was the first day the state accepted applications for the program to allow people with "debilitating" medical conditions to use marijuana.

A group of 55 people chartered a bus to take them from a Lansing café to a nearby state office building to pay $100 and file paperwork, including a certificate from a Michigan-licensed physician that they have a medical condition that could be helped through the use of marijuana. Under the Michigan Medical Marijuana Program, the state will issue picture ID registration cards to those who qualify. The cards should be in the hands of patients by the end of the month.

Backers of the law estimate that as many as 50,000 Michiganians will register. By the close of business Monday, 101 had applied.

Medical conditions that qualify for the new program include cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C and Crohn's disease. It also covers those with wasting syndrome, severe and chronic pain or nausea, seizures and persistent muscle spasms.

In November, nearly two-thirds of voters decided Michigan should join a dozen other states to allow medical marijuana use.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm, who opposed the measure, said the state will work to make sure things go smoothly. She remains cautious, however.

"It's a gateway drug, and it's got to be done very carefully," she said, referring to the distribution of medicinal pot.

Under the law, a registered user can possess up to 2.5 ounces of pot. The law is silent on where they are to get the marijuana. But the law makes clear the state will play no role in making the drug available.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Why not let everyone use it?

Seems like a double standard that people can register to smoke it

But if the cops bust me with weed in my car

I am going to jail
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 6:53 pm

gs78 wrote:

I am going to jail

clap

While I think the majority of people are in favor of marijuana, not everyone votes. A lot of the people who would support such legislation (especially young people) don't vote.

Get out and vote people!
Vote
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 6:55 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

I am going to jail

clap

While I think the majority of people are in favor of marijuana, not everyone votes. A lot of the people who would support such legislation (especially young people) don't vote.

Get out and vote people!

Vote

They are too busy for voting for American Idol Thumb Down
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:04 pm

gs78 wrote:

I am going to jail

But that would never happen since your a person who abides the law and would never do such horrid things. lol2
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 pm

gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

I am going to jail

clap

Get out and vote people!

Vote

We've got to come up with a way to phone/text in political votes. The technology has to be there. It'd be tricky because we don't want people stuffing the ballot box, but people should vote. There's polling places every 10 feet on election day and they'll even mail the ballot to you if you're too lazy to go vote yourself. Come on people!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

I am going to jail

But that would never happen since your a person who abides the law and would never do such horrid things. lol2

Or if the cops don't find it stashed in the glove compartment or trunk lol!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:08 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

I am going to jail

clap

Get out and vote people!

Vote

We've got to come up with a way to phone/text in political votes. The technology has to be there. It'd be tricky because we don't want people stuffing the ballot box, but people should vote. There's polling places every 10 feet on election day and they'll even mail the ballot to you if you're too lazy to go vote yourself. Come on people!

Perhaps more absentee votes or online voting from your PC

I don't know

But more people should vote
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:10 pm

I did notice that there are some states where you have to have a reason to be an absentee voter. In California anyone can vote absentee and they mail you your ballot about a month in advance. The only problem is you have to pay for the stamp (or drop it off at a polling place which defeats the purpose of voting absentee).
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:12 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
I did notice that there are some states where you have to have a reason to be an absentee voter. In California anyone can vote absentee and they mail you your ballot about a month in advance. The only problem is you have to pay for the stamp (or drop it off at a polling place which defeats the purpose of voting absentee).

Have the Government pay for postage

I am sure Obama can include it in the Stimulus Suspect
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:13 pm

I don't mind paying the 42 cents for postage but I never have stamps since I use them so rarely. You should be able to just right IOU in place of postage and have them mail you a bill at the end of the year for all the postage you owe. Then you'd only need one stamp to mail in that bill (or 0 stamps if you pay it online or over the phone).

You can print postage off the computer but unless it's for a package that's a pain in the ass.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:15 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
I don't mind paying the 42 cents for postage but I never have stamps since I use them so rarely. You should be able to just right IOU in place of postage and have them mail you a bill at the end of the year for all the postage you owe. Then you'd only need one stamp to mail in that bill (or 0 stamps if you pay it online or over the phone).

You can print postage off the computer but unless it's for a package that's a pain in the ass.

Bottom Line

People need to Vote
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Yeah!

And I think I should right the postage IOU idea to my congressmen. Hell, I'll even pay 45 cents instead of 42 cents for the convenience of getting one bill at the end of the year. That way everyone wins.
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 11:35 pm

gs78 wrote:
gdennis59 wrote:
gs78 wrote:

I am going to jail

Or if the cops don't find it stashed in the glove compartment or trunk lol!

Jaw Drop Spit Suspect lol2
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan   Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Dozens register for medical marijuana in Michigan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: