DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers will use closer-by-committee

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers will use closer-by-committee Empty
PostSubject: Tigers will use closer-by-committee   Tigers will use closer-by-committee Icon_minipostedThu Apr 02, 2009 8:06 pm

04/01/09 7:50 PM ET
Rodney likely to get first chance; nothing certain afterward

By Jason Beck / MLB.com

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Fernando Rodney took the mound Wednesday donning Jim Leyland's No. 10 jersey as part of an April Fool's jersey gag the Tigers hastily organized. If Leyland has a one-run lead going into the ninth inning on Opening Day, he said, he'll be calling Rodney's number.

After that, it's far from certain.

"Does that mean he's going to come in every time? I don't know that yet," Leyland said. "Right now, I'd do that Opening Day. You'll probably make a big deal about naming Fernando Rodney the closer, but I really haven't.

"He could be, but it might not be just one guy. There may be somebody else that's involved at some point."

That someone else may or may not be Brandon Lyon. It could also be Joel Zumaya.

After saying a few weeks ago that he might not name anyone the closer, Leyland still hasn't. Whether it means Rodney has wrested the closer's job, time will tell. In any case, it means the expected ascension of Brandon Lyon to the job hasn't happened.

The Tigers signed Lyon to a one-year contract in January to bring him in and compete for the job. He was expected to win the role over Rodney, whom Leyland had said over the offseason had tremendous stuff but had to learn to control it and might not be a full-time closer.

An unexpected reversal happened along Lyon's way to the ninth inning. Rodney dominated early before giving up 11 earned runs on 11 hits in a four-outing stretch, covering 4 2/3 innings. Leyland cited the unsuccessful effort to hone Rodney's slider as a legitimate third pitch.

"I think Fernando Rodney's in the best shape he's been in since I've been here," Leyland said. "I think he was messing around with his slider a little bit early on. I think it got him off-kilter in the middle of the spring."

Rodney recovered from that to pitch two scoreless innings over the last three days.

"I think he's throwing the ball extremely well," Leyland said. "I think he's healthy and I think he'll have good year. His control's better. He will be and needs to be a big pitcher for us this year. And he needs to be a big pitcher for himself. He's a free agent [next winter]."

Rodney's opportunities might not come entirely in closing situations, and it might not mean that Lyon has lost a job he never officially had. But it's more of a mix than many expected.

Lyon has given up seven earned runs on 18 hits over 13 innings this spring. The bulk of that damage has come in his last four outings, starting with four straight homers against the Red Sox on March 23.

Rodney and Lyon had rough innings consecutively last Friday against the Braves, turning a 2-0 eighth-inning lead into a 3-2 loss. They've each pitched twice since.

Zumaya, meanwhile, is pitching in Minor League Spring Training games as he prepares to open the season on the DL. But his return, if and when it happens, could add to the mix.

"We may have some options," Leyland said. "We may have a guy that's two weeks away or a month from joining the team who might be a candidate. We might have Lyon. We might have [Ryan] Perry."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will use closer-by-committee   Tigers will use closer-by-committee Icon_minipostedThu Apr 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Perry is the one I think will finally earn the closers job. Or Rincon.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will use closer-by-committee   Tigers will use closer-by-committee Icon_minipostedFri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 am

I like the closer-by-committee idea as closers are overrated and most anyone can get it done. Relievers are very important but closers aren't really any more important that anyone else.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will use closer-by-committee   Tigers will use closer-by-committee Icon_minipostedSat Apr 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Either that

Or Todd Jones comes out of retirement
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will use closer-by-committee   Tigers will use closer-by-committee Icon_minipostedSun Apr 05, 2009 1:40 pm

I think I would rather see Perry do the closing, since we could very well keep him signed for a while. If he does good, then we keep him as the all time closer, and we have 3 really good set up guys, and then Miner, Rincon, Seay, and everyone else that can get us a solid bullpen. Im hoping it will be solid at least.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will use closer-by-committee   Tigers will use closer-by-committee Icon_minipostedTue Apr 07, 2009 6:20 pm

gdennis59 wrote:
I think I would rather see Perry do the closing, since we could very well keep him signed for a while. If he does good, then we keep him as the all time closer, and we have 3 really good set up guys, and then Miner, Rincon, Seay, and everyone else that can get us a solid bullpen. Im hoping it will be solid at least.

Anybody but :rodney:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers will use closer-by-committee   Tigers will use closer-by-committee Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: