DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Empty
PostSubject: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 1:18 am

Friday, March 6, 2009
Unhappy anniversary: Tigers could find trouble marking '84 championship
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- What if the Tigers threw a party and nobody came?

And could that be the case when they observe the 25th anniversary of their 1984 World Series championship on Sept. 28 at Comerica Park?

Many of the stars on that team are Tigers who've been fired by the organization since. Alan Trammell was dismissed as manager. Kirk Gibson was fired as bench coach.

Trammell and Gibson are major league bench coaches now -- Trammell for the Chicago Cubs and Gibson for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Would they leave their posts the final week of the season, when their clubs could be involved in pennant races, to return to Detroit for a reunion?

That could be problematic.

Possibly feeling burned, Lance Parrish has been fired twice as a coach by the Tigers and reportedly was interested in being rehired as their bullpen coach this winter while there was a vacancy.

But the Tigers rehired Jeff Jones instead.

Would Parrish come back after not liking the treatment he's received?

Former manager Sparky Anderson is 75 and doesn't like to travel. Aurelio Lopez is deceased. Guillermo Hernandez had a serious health problem during the Tigers' Fantasy Camp last month. Chet Lemon has had life-threatening health problems.

Howard Johnson is a coach with the New York Mets. Rusty Kuntz is a coach with the Kansas City Royals. Would they be able to attend a function in the final week of the season?

And now this -- Lou Whitaker, serving as a spring training instructor, said on Thursday that he probably won't be attending.

"I'm not going to leave my house, fly all the way to Detroit and come back the next day," Whitaker said. "Lou don't roll like that.

"I'll tape something for them to play, something like 'thank you very much, I enjoyed it. I'm glad I was able to be a part of 1984, part of that Tigers' team that had the privilege of going all the way.' "

There's plenty of time for Whitaker to change his mind, of course. Plus if he wants to continue as a spring training instructor, he might be persuaded to change his mind, but at this point -- more than six months before the planned event -- one can envision less than a grand event.

Even when he was a player, though, it was difficult to convince Whitaker to do anything he didn't want to do. He was an excellent second baseman, but one who seldom left his feet for a ball. It never felt right for him.

But he enjoys watching infielders go about their work even now.

"I like to see who has the leather," he said.

Whitaker also was a fine natural hitter, but one who never needed much batting practice. He took it when there was something specific he wanted to work on. He never took it for show.

Even now, he disapproves of batting practice if he thinks hitters aren't taking it seriously.

"They're getting all fancy," Whitaker said while watching a visiting team during one such session this week. "That's not the way to do it."

Now 51, Whitaker thinks the game has changed a lot in the 25 years since 1984.

"The ballparks are smaller, so is the strike zone," he said. "I wasn't that big, but the ballparks were. After Gates Brown taught me, I had some power, but when I was younger, I was a singles hitter.

"As for pitches, it seems to me they have to be right there for them to be called strikes now. Nothing borderline gets called. Hitters stand right on top of the box and you can't pitch inside without some kind of confrontation.

"It's changed. It seems like a lot of guys now just take an all-out home-run swing," Whitaker said.

"Scorers call more hits, too. I've seen quite a bit of that. In my day, shoot, it had to be pretty much clean. But I never complained about a scorer's call. What was I going to do, upset myself?"

That much hasn't changed. To this day, Whitaker doesn't upset himself. If he doesn't feel like attending the 1984 reunion, he probably won't.

"It'll be a big anniversary . . . for the fans," he said. "For me as a player, I'm just disappointed we didn't win more."

Not that he would have attended them, in other words, but he wishes there were more reunions than one.

You can reach Tom Gage at tom. gage@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 1:46 am

That's too bad. I can understand why some of the players don't want to come back though - even the ones that aren't coaching.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Wonder how many people will show
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 5:19 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Friday, March 6, 2009
Unhappy anniversary: Tigers could find trouble marking '84 championship
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- What if the Tigers threw a party and nobody came?

And could that be the case when they observe the 25th anniversary of their 1984 World Series championship on Sept. 28 at Comerica Park?

Many of the stars on that team are Tigers who've been fired by the organization since. Alan Trammell was dismissed as manager. Kirk Gibson was fired as bench coach.

Trammell and Gibson are major league bench coaches now -- Trammell for the Chicago Cubs and Gibson for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Would they leave their posts the final week of the season, when their clubs could be involved in pennant races, to return to Detroit for a reunion?

That could be problematic.

Possibly feeling burned, Lance Parrish has been fired twice as a coach by the Tigers and reportedly was interested in being rehired as their bullpen coach this winter while there was a vacancy.

But the Tigers rehired Jeff Jones instead.

Would Parrish come back after not liking the treatment he's received?

Former manager Sparky Anderson is 75 and doesn't like to travel. Aurelio Lopez is deceased. Guillermo Hernandez had a serious health problem during the Tigers' Fantasy Camp last month. Chet Lemon has had life-threatening health problems.

Howard Johnson is a coach with the New York Mets. Rusty Kuntz is a coach with the Kansas City Royals. Would they be able to attend a function in the final week of the season?

And now this -- Lou Whitaker, serving as a spring training instructor, said on Thursday that he probably won't be attending.

"I'm not going to leave my house, fly all the way to Detroit and come back the next day," Whitaker said. "Lou don't roll like that.

"I'll tape something for them to play, something like 'thank you very much, I enjoyed it. I'm glad I was able to be a part of 1984, part of that Tigers' team that had the privilege of going all the way.' "

There's plenty of time for Whitaker to change his mind, of course. Plus if he wants to continue as a spring training instructor, he might be persuaded to change his mind, but at this point -- more than six months before the planned event -- one can envision less than a grand event.

Even when he was a player, though, it was difficult to convince Whitaker to do anything he didn't want to do. He was an excellent second baseman, but one who seldom left his feet for a ball. It never felt right for him.

But he enjoys watching infielders go about their work even now.

"I like to see who has the leather," he said.

Whitaker also was a fine natural hitter, but one who never needed much batting practice. He took it when there was something specific he wanted to work on. He never took it for show.

Even now, he disapproves of batting practice if he thinks hitters aren't taking it seriously.

"They're getting all fancy," Whitaker said while watching a visiting team during one such session this week. "That's not the way to do it."

Now 51, Whitaker thinks the game has changed a lot in the 25 years since 1984.

"The ballparks are smaller, so is the strike zone," he said. "I wasn't that big, but the ballparks were. After Gates Brown taught me, I had some power, but when I was younger, I was a singles hitter.

"As for pitches, it seems to me they have to be right there for them to be called strikes now. Nothing borderline gets called. Hitters stand right on top of the box and you can't pitch inside without some kind of confrontation.

"It's changed. It seems like a lot of guys now just take an all-out home-run swing," Whitaker said.

"Scorers call more hits, too. I've seen quite a bit of that. In my day, shoot, it had to be pretty much clean. But I never complained about a scorer's call. What was I going to do, upset myself?"

That much hasn't changed. To this day, Whitaker doesn't upset himself. If he doesn't feel like attending the 1984 reunion, he probably won't.

"It'll be a big anniversary . . . for the fans," he said. "For me as a player, I'm just disappointed we didn't win more."

Not that he would have attended them, in other words, but he wishes there were more reunions than one.

You can reach Tom Gage at tom.

gage@detnews.com

I agree with Whitaker that the game has changed

But I don't remember ballparks being that much bigger in the 80s

Yankee Stadium, Comiskey Park and Municipal Stadiums were much bigger in the 50's and 60s than during the 80s

What few ballparks that are left standing

KC, Oakland, Anaheim, Fenway and the Metrodome have about the same dimensions now as they did then
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 5:20 pm

It would be interesting to compare Ballpark dimensions from 1984 and today

But I have know idea when to look for that info
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Maybe he meant how many they seat... I agree, the field dimensions are not that different.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedSat Mar 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Field dimensions have changed.....

Take a look at a few cities:

SF:
Candlestick: 335, 400, 328
AT&T: 335, 404, 309

HOU:
Astrodome: 340, 400, 340
Minute Maid: 315, 435, 326

PIT:
3 Rivers: 340, 410, 340
PNC: 325, 399, 320

That's just a few but I'm too lazy to look up more. Those differences may not seem like much but each generation they're a little smaller. Go back to the 40s, they were way bigger.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedMon Mar 09, 2009 9:49 am

Maybe they should do a reunion somewhere outside of Detroit. Hey, it's about the team, right? The team can be anywhere.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedMon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Field dimensions have changed.....

Take a look at a few cities:

SF:
Candlestick: 335, 400, 328
AT&T: 335, 404, 309

HOU:
Astrodome: 340, 400, 340
Minute Maid: 315, 435, 326

PIT:
3 Rivers: 340, 410, 340
PNC: 325, 399, 320

That's just a few but I'm too lazy to look up more. Those differences may not seem like much but each generation they're a little smaller. Go back to the 40s, they were way bigger.

But those are NL Parks

What about AL parks

Don't be lazy Cat

I know you can find those stats

When you get a chance post a few AL parks if you can
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedMon Mar 09, 2009 5:26 pm

I do know that Comiskey Park in Chicago was 445 until the early 80s

Yankee Stadium was 435 in Left Center 419 in CF in the late 70s

And Tiger Stadium was 440 in CF

Though people claim it was more like 425
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedMon Mar 09, 2009 8:18 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Maybe they should do a reunion somewhere outside of Detroit. Hey, it's about the team, right? The team can be anywhere.

Not like the 84 Tigers played at Comerica Park

Have it at Tiger Stadium; what is left of it

After the season ends
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedMon Mar 09, 2009 8:57 pm

At least the 1968 WS Tigers showed up for their celebration, last year!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_minipostedTue Mar 10, 2009 7:54 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
At least the 1968 WS Tigers showed up for their celebration, last year!

That was cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship   Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Unhappy anniversary: '84 championship
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: