DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

2009 Detroit Lions Thread

Go down 
+2
GoGetEmTigers
gs78
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Friday, April 24, 2009
Lions to seek more help
Mayhew has his eye on free agents to sign after draft to fill holes
John Niyo / The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Martin Mayhew is preaching patience as he prepares for his first draft as the Lions' general manager.

"We talked about that early on," Mayhew said earlier this week at his pre-draft news conference. "We said in free agency we can't fix all of our personnel problems there; we can't fix everything in the draft.

"We have a ways to go. We have other opportunities to acquire players, whether through the waiver claims or trades, and we'll keep working on that. Our roster probably won't be really set until maybe sometime in training camp. There will be a number of holes after this draft that still have to be addressed."

The Lions didn't make big splashes in free agency, but they have been busy adding depth as they overhaul the roster. Mayhew was busy adding players late in 2008 and has signed or acquired 21 since the end of the season, including Thursday's waiver claim of outside linebacker Curtis Gatewood, who was cut by the Kansas City Chiefs. Gatewood (6-foot-2, 248 pounds) was a rookie out of Vanderbilt last season for the Chiefs, playing for new Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

Expect more signings after the draft as well, including the addition of a veteran quarterback at some point.

"We have been in contact with a few agents of some veteran players and are looking at some positions and saying, 'If we don't select a guy at this particular position, who would be the next guy available out there,' " Mayhew said Tuesday. "I think we'll be in contact with them over the next few days and we'll be able to pull the trigger on some signings next week depending on how the draft goes."

A vote for Stafford

While much of the pre-draft buzz is being generated by teams in pursuit of Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez , former NFL GM Charley Casserly thinks Matthew Stafford is the right choice for the Lions at No. 1.

"Some guys are going to fit some systems better, that's No. 1," said Casserly, now an analyst for the NFL Network. "I like Stafford. I think he's got a big-time arm. You've got a potential perennial All-Pro receiver there in Calvin Johnson , and this guy can get him the ball anywhere on the field. ... Stafford is a bright-eyed guy, he's smart, he can make all the throws, he can threaten the defense with his arm."

He likes Sanchez, too, but calls Stafford a better fit for Scott Linehan 's offense and thinks he's a more proven commodity.

"The difference between these two guys is I've seen Stafford make more difficult throws, which is kind of what you have to do in the pro game, with people at his feet and people coming right down his throat," Casserly said. "Stand in there and make the big time throw. I think Sanchez is a guy that's a good short passer, good on the move. He can be effective, but I think Stafford has the higher upside."

Is he ready start as a rookie, the way Matt Ryan (Atlanta) and Joe Flacco (Baltimore) did last season?

"With all young quarterbacks, I'm reluctant to play any of them," Casserly said. "But a lot of times, there's nobody else that can play. So it's how long can Culpepper hold the fort, and that's going to be up to Culpepper. But ideally, you'd like to bring this guy along slowly."

john.niyo@detnews.com (313) 982-3810
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Apr 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Why give a guy that's never played a higher guaranteed contract than anyone in NFL history?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 26, 2009 9:40 am

Saturday, April 25, 2009
Bob Wojnowski: Commentary
New Lion Stafford comes with too high a price, too great a risk

Allen Park -- Matthew Stafford says all the right things. He loves a challenge. He's excited to be a Lion. He can't wait to get started.

Poor guy. He has no idea.

The Lions paid heavily -- ridiculously heavily -- for their latest Quarterback Who Will Make Everyone Forget Jon-Joey-Charlie-Scott-Rodney-Andre-etc. They got desperate and threw an NFL-record $41.7 million in guaranteed money at a decent prospect who wasn't wildly touted by many. GM Martin Mayhew bought a face for the franchise and a nice strong arm, and he also purchased this: Time.

It will take time for a new quarterback to develop on a bad team, time for the verdict to be rendered. I just hope the Lions use their time better than they used their money, better than they used the No. 1 overall pick. I'll say it once more -- I think drafting Stafford was a mistake, a gigantic gamble not worth taking. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong position for the NFL's first 0-16 team.

Mayhew followed that with an astonishing choice at No. 20 -- Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew. Honestly, I don't get it. So much for stocking the trenches and rebuilding from the inside out, huh? So the team with one of the worst defenses in the history of the league used its two first-round picks Saturday on offensive players.

And neither is an offensive lineman.

Did the Lions really have the luxury of taking a tight end, even one as complete as Pettigrew, in the first round? At least the first pick of the second round, Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas, plays defense, allegedly.

Mayhew and new coach Jim Schwartz had said they'd draft for talent, not need, because the roster is so barren. That means they considered Pettigrew more talented than any offensive linemen or defensive lineman or linebacker available. I guess we'll see.

"We stayed true to what we talked about," Mayhew said. "We were looking for value and we think we found it."

If Stafford wonders what he's getting into, it should be dawning on him now. He heard the boos when his selection was announced, but I'm willing to be fair here. The guy deserves a chance, and the only way he'll have a chance is if Schwartz and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan show patience and let him sit and learn most of his rookie season.

The next time we see Stafford in a prominent role, it should be early in 2010, or late in 2009. Any sooner, playing behind that mushy offensive line, and Stafford will be wrecked just as Joey Harrington was wrecked. And with the mixed opinions about Stafford's accuracy and decision-making, he's not polished enough to overcome it.

Daunte Culpepper has shown signs of reclaiming his skills and conditioning, which could give Stafford time to grow. If Culpepper stumbles and the pressure mounts to play Stafford, this could be a disaster.

No one should expect Stafford to have an impact his first season. By the time he's ready to play (theoretically), the Lions will be improved (theoretically).

"I'm a competitive guy and I'm going to try and get ready as quick as I possibly can," Stafford said. "If that's game one, then that's game one. If it's game eight, or not even in the first year, it's up to the coaches."

OK, Schwartz, it's up to you. Your plan?

"It's the same that goes into the decision on any player," Schwartz said. "Is he the best player and is he ready? We're at a really good position right now with a rejuvenated Daunte Culpepper. We don't have to force our hand. We don't have to make a decision that's not based on merit."

I hope that's not what they did Saturday -- make a decision not based on merit. The Lions desperately needed a quarterback (and a whole lot more) and they probably felt they couldn't pass on this one, no matter the cost.

The cost was amazingly high. I'll say this about Mayhew and Schwartz: They aren't afraid to stick with who they wanted, no matter what the public craves, no matter how questionable it appears. That means they're confident and smart, or just arrogant and inexperienced. Heck, maybe Mayhew has some mystery football strategy that doesn't involve tackling players on the other team.

There was immense pressure on Mayhew, Schwartz and Stafford before the draft, and it just shot through the Ford Field roof. But there is some hope. Stafford is a bright guy and a one-time highly touted prep prospect who jumped in immediately at Georgia and started three years in the rugged SEC. He seems to know a little about handling pressure.

Honestly, I hope he's the one who finally makes us stop mocking the Lions' quarterback history. It would be a phenomenal story, the prodigy from Bobby Layne's Texas high school crushing the fabled Curse of Bobby Layne, the franchise's last great quarterback.

Sorry, but it seems like a reach to me. Until the Lions fix their offensive line and their defense, it's all just puffery.

bob.wojnowski@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 26, 2009 10:04 am

TE Brandon Pettigrew touts blocking

BY CARLOS MONARREZ • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • April 26, 2009

Brandon Pettigrew was widely considered the most complete tight end in the draft for his pass-catching and blocking ability. Before the Lions selected him No. 20 overall Saturday, he made sure they had the complete story about a run-in with police last year that led to assault charges.

"I told them the whole story," said Pettigrew, who had steady production in four seasons at Oklahoma State. "I was straightforward. I was in Stillwater, out with some friends, and some things went sour and the cops came. It was a mistake. It was bad judgment on my part and I didn't handle myself well, but I've learned from it and I've moved on."

In the January 2008 incident, Pettigrew allegedly struck an officer in the chest and was charged with felony assault. He pleaded guilty to reduced charges of misdemeanor assault and was given one year's probation.

Now Pettigrew (6-foot-5, 257 pounds) gets a chance to make a big difference with the Lions.

Pettigrew becomes part of the Lions' youth movement on offense, joining quarterback Matthew Stafford, receiver Calvin Johnson and running back Kevin Smith.

"I think they have big plans for me," Pettigrew said. "I feel that they have a good feeling about me. They know that I'm a complete tight end, and they know what I bring to the table, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes."

Pettigrew takes a lot of pride in his blocking.

"It's just something that's grown on me throughout the years," he said. "But it's just something that I bring to the table and I put in my game. It kind of works both ways. When you have the ball, you want people blocking for you."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 26, 2009 10:06 am

Delmas was playmaker at WMU The No. 3 pick

BY CARLOS MONARREZ • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • April 26, 2009

Like a lot of players picked early in the NFL draft, safety Louis Delmas from Western Michigan voiced plenty of excitement Saturday after the Lions picked him in the second round at No. 33 overall.

But unlike a lot of players who have little knowledge of the teams they are joining, Delmas followed the Lions' 0-16 season closely.

"I went to school at Kalamazoo," he said, "so I had no choice.

"To be honest with you, I thought: Man how could they be a National Football League team and lose 16 straight games? But that's part of the game. You have your up-and-down seasons, and unfortunately last year was down."

Delmas is listed as 5-feet-11 and 202 pounds, which can be considered small for a safety, especially after the Lions promised to get bigger and stronger. But he's known as a physical playmaker -- he led Western with 111 tackles last season and returned one of his four interceptions for a touchdown.

General manager Martin Mayhew said Delmas is about the size as NFL star safeties Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu when they were rookies. Mayhew also said the focus on getting bigger was on the defensive front and not as much in the secondary.

"Size is not an issue at all there," coach Jim Schwartz said. "We like his size where it is. Typically, if you look at where our defenses have been at Tennessee, we didn't have big, lumbering safeties. We had athletes, and he's a vacuum cleaner; (he) vacuums up all those runs that break the line of scrimmage."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 26, 2009 10:16 am

What the experts had to say about the Lions' draft picks

FREE PRESS STAFF • April 26, 2009

What the TV analysts said:

• "If you coach (Stafford) properly -- I'm not saying he's Hall of Fame -- he should be a very good starting quarterback in this league and should be good enough for the Detroit Lions2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Mag-glass_10x10." -- Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN.

• “For 50 years this organization has been looking for the next Bobby Layne2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Mag-glass_10x10. How fitting is it, for Matthew Stafford to come from Bobby Layne’s high school. … (Stafford’s) got all the talent in the world, we know that. Now they’ve got to improve the rest of that football team to give that kid a chance.” -- Steve Mariucci, NFL Network.

• “What a great step for the Detroit Lions. They got a long way to go. This is the first step. … This is a great pick.” -- Jon Gruden, NFL Network.

• "One caveat. I’m not sure you throw (Stafford) in the fray in Week 1. From a football point of view, (Joe) Flacco and Matt Ryan had the benefit of a great running attack. … If you throw this kid in, for every one Peyton Manning2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Mag-glass_10x10 who can withstand the beating there are five Joey Harringtons." -- Mike Mayock, NFL Network.

• "What they've done is gotten the best tight end in the draft. He's an old-school tight end. Think Jason Witten when you think about this kid. He's not a blazer. But at the point of attack as a blocker, I think he's special. He ran a 4.8. He can accerlerate. He's got soft hands. He's a tremendous in-line blocker. He's a monster inside." — Mayock again, on the Lions’ second first-round pick, Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew.

• "You can't fault them for picking this guy. Now I'm guessing they are going to go defense. I thought they would go either defense or protect their investment (with an offensive line selection)." — Mariucci again, on Pettigrew/

• “Delmas is the heat-seeking missile at free safety, most aggressive free safety I’ve seen. Good tackler. He's got average man-to-man skills, but when you talk about running that alley, he does it better than any free safety I've seen in a while. He hustles from sideline to sideline. Occasionally gets beat in play-action. Whenever you see Louis Delmas on a football field, typically a collision follows. And I like what Schwartz is doing here. They got the quarterback. Then they get a tight end who can block his tail off.” -- Mayock again, on the Lions' second-round pick, Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas.

"There's a pulse! There's a pulse in Detroit!" -- Steve Young, ESPN.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Apr 26, 2009 10:21 am

DREW SHARP
Later rounds may hold the hidden gems Lions need

BY DREW SHARP • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • April 26, 2009

The complaining won't subside anytime soon. Those whining about the absurdity of the Lions taking Matthew Stafford first overall come fall will cry about the idiocy of not starting Stafford after the Lions start 0-6.

But the real draft didn't begin until after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell officially announced Stafford's selection Saturday afternoon, an inevitability greeted with a chorus of boos from those assembled at Ford Field.

Get over it, folks.

Stafford isn't a savior. The Lions aren't paying him to be the liberator from five decades of torment. He's but one piece of a much larger picture that must come together if the Lions are to overcome their hideous past.

It's not about Stafford. It's about the guys drafted afterward.

It's more important that tight end Brandon Pettigrew and safety Louis Delmas prosper, because they're as important to the Lions' future as Stafford. It's the guys who aren't making $41.7 million in guaranteed money that lay the foundation for success. It's those picks coming today who emerge into prominent starters and eventual Pro Bowlers who built the consistency found in championship stalwarts such as Pittsburgh, New England and Indianapolis.

The Pettigrew selection came from nowhere.

Are we sure Matt Millen still didn't have a direct line to the Lions' draft war room?

But in Stafford, Pettigrew and Delmas, the Lions tabbed the highest-rated players at their respective positions. When you're a thorough talent wasteland as they are, coming away with the top three players at any three positions is considered a good day.

The fixation remains on Stafford.

"It's up to us to develop him," said general manager Martin Mayhew. "It's up to us to get good players around him."

This first draft day reflected a team cognizant that it has time because 0-16 didn't come overnight. Many won't accept that, but they should realize that the Lions aren't even remotely close in overall talent to where Miami was two years ago when they fell to 1-15.

The Dolphins rose from the abyss to an 11-5 playoff campaign last season, fueling this ill-begotten sense of urgency that the Lions must assume a low-risk draft approach, increasing the odds of a quick turnaround.

But if anybody seriously looked at this roster, they'd know that they're at least two very good drafts away from becoming remotely competitive.
Advertisement

They've got the time to let Stafford develop. They've got the time to build a good supporting cast. But that depends upon them striking gold with the second-, third- and fourth-round selections that Millen couldn't.

That's how Mayhew gets judged.

The Lions had no choice but to take Stafford. They couldn't move the pick because nobody wanted it. That had less to do with concerns regarding Stafford's skills and more to do with dropping outrageously high guaranteed dollars on unproven potential at the top of the draft.

They weren't taking linebacker Aaron Curry despite all their predraft bluster, because non-pass rushing middle linebackers aren't impactful enough to even warrant the "discounted" price of $32 million in guaranteed money Curry would've "settled" for had the Lions opted for him instead of Stafford.

Stafford's agent, Tom Condon, knew that.

The Lions thought they possessed all the negotiation leverage until they submitted their selection card to Goodell. But, in fact, they were at Stafford's mercy.

The Lions weren't schooled at the bargaining table. The curriculum was skewed against them before they conveyed their first offer because of a flawed collective bargaining agreement granting young rookies unlimited -- and undeserved -- power.

Blame the system.

Now, there's a foolproof remedy for avoiding such future dilemmas -- win enough games so you're not drafting in the top three for the fourth time in the past eight drafts.

Contact DREW SHARP: 313-223-4055 or dsharp@freepress.com.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 29, 2009 9:56 am

Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Lions
Larry Foote wants to join Lions
Steelers linebacker and Pershing grad seeking release or trade to Lions, and would fill need

Larry Foote is back home in Detroit. And he's hoping to stick around for football season.

Anticipating his release -- or a possible trade -- by the Pittsburgh Steelers, Foote, a Detroit native and former Michigan All-American, sounds eager to land with the Lions. But he's not sure if the feeling is mutual.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are expected to cut Foote after the team's minicamp this weekend if they can't swing a trade.

Foote, who might not be in attendance at the minicamp, already was talking like a free agent early Tuesday, albeit prematurely.

His agent, Ken Kremer, confirmed Tuesday his client has yet to be released.

"I've been forcing (my release) the whole offseason," Foote said. "I've been asking for it all offseason, asking for a trade, and I guess they finally did something. I wish they'd have done it a little earlier.

"I don't know what the Steelers were doing in the whole process. They kept saying they were trying to get a trade. I know they were in talks with the Lions. But I don't know how it's gonna work. My agent said the Lions tried to get me, but I still don't know how bad they want me."

That interest appeared to be lukewarm, at least in terms of a trade, a league source said. But clearly, a seven-year NFL veteran with two Super Bowl rings would help fill a need. The Lions haven't fully addressed their need for a middle linebacker. And in Foote, they could acquire a 6-foot-1, 240-pound inside linebacker who started all 80 games the last five seasons for the Steelers.

Foote, who turns 29 in June, became expendable as the Steelers try to make room for 2007 first-round pick Lawrence Timmons, clearing nearly $3 million.

"Detroit is always No. 1," said Foote, a Pershing grad who recently bought a home in the area. "My agent is talking to them about me wanting to come home, and we'll go from there. But no question about it, that's my first choice."

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 29, 2009 9:58 am

Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Lions release QB Drew Henson

Drew Henson figured the call might be coming, and it was. With Matthew Stafford in the fold -- and signed -- as the No. 1 overall draft pick, the Lions parted ways with Henson, the former Michigan star who spent part of last season as the No. 3 quarterback in Detroit.

"With the timing of these things, you never know when something might happen," Henson said Tuesday, shortly after the Lions made it official. "But with Stafford coming in, you know they're going to want to get him as many snaps as they can."

For now, it's Daunte Culpepper, Drew Stanton and Stafford as the only quarterbacks on the Lions' roster, though coach Jim Schwartz said prior to the draft the team might add a veteran quarterback at some point. Whether that's with a younger pro soon -- Miami just waived John Beck, for instance -- or later, perhaps with a grizzled vet like Trent Green, who played for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan in St. Louis, remains to be seen.

The same is true for Henson's future plans. He's in Dallas with the Lions' non-rookies taking a weeklong break from offseason workouts in Allen Park. He'll be back to Michigan later this week, he said, and he'll continue working out and throwing on his own as he tries to land with another NFL team. Having spent time with three different teams -- and in NFL Europe -- since giving up his pro baseball career to return to football, Henson knows the drill. And at 29, he's not ready to give up on his playing career.

"I'm not going to sit around and bang my head against the door," Henson said. "I mean, sure, it's something you think about every time you sort of cross this bridge. Right now, though, I just want to look around and see what opportunities might be out there."

The Lions also cut former Michigan guard Matt Lentz and ex-Central Michigan cornerback Pacino Horne, both of whom were signed earlier this month. The team has yet to release an official list of undrafted free-agent signings, but that could come later Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 29, 2009 10:00 am

Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Safety Otis Wiley signs with Lions
Eric Lacy / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Michigan State safety Otis Wiley signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Lions on Monday, said John Lewandowski, the school's associate athletic director for media relations.

Wiley, a Fl.int native, is expected to attend Lions workouts in Allen Park this weekend.

Undrafted MSU offensive lineman Jesse Miller is expected to have a May 7 tryout with New York Giants, Lewandowski said.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 29, 2009 10:04 am

Monday, April 27, 2009
Lions claim OT Kirk Barton off waivers

Allen Park -- The Lions claimed offensive tackle Kirk Barton off waivers from the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday. The 6-foot-4, 305-pound former Ohio State standout spent his rookie season in 2008 with three other teams -- Chicago, San Francisco and Miami -- before landing with the Bengals.

The Lions also signed several undrafted free agents in advance of this weekend's rookie mini-camp in Allen Park. Lions coach Jim Schwartz said he hopes to have 35-40 players participating Friday through Sunday.

Among the rookies added since the end of the NFL draft Sunday: Northwestern defensive tackle John Gill, Ball State center Dan Gerberry, Maine inside linebacker Andrew Downey, Alabama-Birmingham kicker/punter Swayze Waters, Wake Forest receiver D.J. Boldin, and Occidental quarterback Justin Goltz of Walled Lake.

Boldin, the younger brother of Arizona Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin, was among the players the Lions brought in for a visit two weeks ago in preparation for the draft.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat May 02, 2009 10:31 am

Thursday, April 30, 2009
Free agent DE Kevin Carter visits Lions

Allen Park -- The welcome mat is out for free agent defensive end Kevin Carter. The Lions hosted the 14-year NFL veteran for a visit Tuesday in Allen Park. Carter, 35, spent the last two seasons with Tampa Bay, starting all 16 games in 2008. He also played for Lions coach Jim Schwartz in Tennessee from 2001 to 2004.

"I've known Kevin for a long time, had experience with him in Tennessee," Schwartz said Thursday. "He fits our profile of 'big,' and he's experienced, which is another thing that's important. He's an older player, but he's incredibly durable and he's strong. We'll see what comes up."

Schwartz said he'd likely use Carter at left defensive end on first and second downs, and as an inside pass rusher on third downs in nickel passing situations.

"Those are both things that he has done before," Schwartz said. "I mean, Kevin is a giant. And he has that position flexibility. He matches up well against guards. We used him in a very similar role in Tennessee. And he's played a very similar role in Miami and Tennessee."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat May 02, 2009 10:39 am

Friday, May 1, 2009
Notebook
Cornerback Travis Fisher latest Lions veteran let go

Allen Park -- Here come the rookies.

And there go the veterans: The Lions cut cornerback Travis Fisher Thursday, a day after releasing tight end Michael Gaines.

The team will hold a three-day rookie mini-camp this weekend with a group of 45-50 players, including undrafted free agents and other NFL roster hopefuls, but the free-agency shopping will continue.

"There aren't many positions on this team that on April 30 that we're saying, 'We're set. We're 100 percent set at that position. We're good -- don't worry about that,' " Lions coach Jim Schwartz said Thursday. "We still have a lot of work to do."

Among the immediate targets appears to be free agent defensive end Kevin Carter, a 14-year NFL veteran who visited Allen Park on Tuesday. Carter, 35, spent the last two seasons with Tampa Bay, starting all 16 games in 2008, but he also played in Tennessee (2001-04) when Schwartz was the defensive coordinator. Schwartz said he'd likely use Carter, a 6-foot-6, 305-pounder, at left defensive end on first and second downs and as an inside pass rusher in third-down passing situations.

"I've known Kevin for a long time," Schwartz said. "He fits our profile of 'big,' and he's experienced, which is another thing that's important. He's an older player, but he's incredibly durable and he's strong. We'll see what comes up."

Middle linebacker is another big question mark, but the Lions can't publicly discuss their interest in linebacker Larry Foote, who is still under contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Foote expects to be traded or released soon and says the Lions are at the top of his list.

"It's fair to say that we're looking (at middle linebacker), and we're at a lot of other positions," Schwartz said. "That being said, that doesn't mean it'll necessarily happen. We'll see where we go with the guys on our roster and the guys that we drafted."

Cody Spencer and Chris Graham (Michigan) manned the middle at the team's first mandatory mini-camp last month. But third-round draft pick DeAndre Levy is targeted for the middle, too, though Schwartz said he won't pass any judgment on him this weekend.

"Middle linebackers need mouthpieces and shoulder pads," he said. "You're not gonna see them when they're running around in shorts here and feel comfortable with that."

Nobody should feel too comfortable. Three weeks ago, Fisher, who started eight games last season, was talking confidently, despite the addition of veteran starters Philip Buchanon and Anthony Henry, as well as Eric King, this offseason. The Lions also have Keith Smith, among others, on the roster.

"It's a situation for me, personally, to go into camp feeling like I'm the No. 1 guy," said Fisher, who was scheduled to make $1.75 million in base salary in the second year of a three-year deal -- the move clears $1 million in cap space.

At quarterback, Daunte Culpepper's the No. 1 for now, with rookie Matthew Stafford set to make his debut today in Allen Park. Drew Stanton also is on the roster -- the Lions cut Drew Henson this week -- but there won't be many practice reps for the No. 3 until training camp. Schwartz was asked again Thursday about adding a veteran quarterback in free agency.

"There's so many different paths you could take there," he said.

Extra point

The Lions announced the promotion of Sheldon White from director of pro personnel to vice president of pro personnel. White, entering his 13th season with the team, is in charge of the team's pro scouts and plays a key role in free-agent decisions, as well as negotiating contracts for lower-tier draft choices.

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat May 02, 2009 10:46 am

Saturday, May 2, 2009
Nervous Matthew Stafford settles down in first practice
Quarterback has wild throws after catching a case of the nerves
Terry Foster / The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Lions rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford knew his throws, as well as his nerves, were all over the place in his first mini-camp workout Friday.

He gripped the ball too tightly, and it didn't feel like the long spirals he threw at Georgia. Stafford took a deep breath and told himself to remember all the things that helped him become the top choice in last weekend's NFL draft. He wanted to remember all the reasons why the Lions wanted him badly enough to sign him to the richest rookie contract in NFL history.

Stafford settled down and had a pretty good finish to an otherwise rocky beginning.

"You just have to trust yourself and realize I got to this point for a reason," he said. "Just be myself and trust in myself, and that is what happened."

Lions coach Jim Schwartz noticed the wild throws, but he also noticed other players huffing and puffing during warm-up drills.

Schwartz coached a nervous group, eager to show what it could do. But all eyes were on Stafford, the man expected to lead a franchise.

"Overanxious I guess you would say," Schwartz said in describing Stafford's 90-minute workout at the Lions indoor practice facility.

"What happens, and that is probably the case with 90 percent of the guys here, when you go through a first practice as a rookie, you're so anxious to get going. You're out of control and things like that. Later in practice, you settle down a bit. I think we saw that with Matthew a bit today. He was just champing at the bit early with some wild throws. But he settled into a groove, worked with some of the wide receivers and, all of a sudden, you started seeing some better things in practice."

Once Stafford shook off the butterflies he threw nice passes. One went to newly drafted tight end Brandon Pettigrew, who made a diving catch in traffic. Stafford put the ball in a spot where only the 6-foot-6 Pettigrew could catch it.

"He was on point with it," Pettigrew said. "He's going to be a great quarterback in this league. He puts it in there all the time. If your head is not around, he will hit you in the face."

Safety Louis Delmas, the Lions' second-round pick out of Western Michigan, talked smack for much of the workout.

"I told (Stafford) I was going to be the first one to pick him off," Delmas said.

He wasn't. But he was close a couple times.

Delmas gets another shot to intercept his new friend today with two workouts. Rookie orientation concludes with a Sunday morning workout.

"It was good to play football again," Stafford said. "Running around with the guys, it felt good again. Maybe I was a little anxious at first, but I got into a groove and right in the middle of practice it felt good. I obviously have a lot of things to work on, just like everybody else."

The past few weeks have been crazy for Stafford. He had numerous workouts for NFL teams, interviews, then a flight to New York for the draft.

He's flown between New York, Georgia and Detroit at least seven times. Friday was all about football and it felt good.

Now he wants to focus on becoming a winner in Detroit.

"I just think bringing a winning attitude," Stafford said of his goals. "I fully believe that the way you think is how you play. How you practice is how you are going to play.

"This is a fun game. You should have a fun time playing. Obviously winning is important, but this is a kid's game and I want to have fun out there. If we make big plays, I am going to have fun.That is the way I play the game."

But these are the Lions, a team that lost all 16 games last season. If Stafford beats out Daunte Culpepper for the starting job, there likely will be rough sledding ahead. How will he handle that?

"The number one thing is when you take that hit mentally or physically is to work hard and get back to it," Stafford said. "That is the best cure for when you are struggling, is to get back on the practice field and to get back in the film room. You figure out what you did and put it behind you."

terry.foster@detnews.com
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Friday, May 15, 2009
Notebook
Jordon Dizon is savoring second go-round with Lions

Allen Park -- Linebacker Jordon Dizon admitted he ran around his rookie season like a chicken with his head cut off.

He never got a grasp of the system, and every time he believed he was making headway, injuries cut his progress.

"I got injured at the beginning of the year, in the middle and again at the end," Dizon said. "I could never find my way. It was like I was on a train. It was like stop, go, stop, go."

Now Dizon is getting a new shot with a new coaching staff. He's drawn the praise of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who said Dizon's play has reminded him of veteran Julian Peterson's.

Dizon says he is a new man.

Last season was a disappointment for everyone involved because coaches were hopeful he would contribute. It never happened. After a couple of nice plays during preseason that got some hopes up, Dizon disappeared.

"As a rookie you come in lost," he said. "People would say do this and do that. The next thing you know you are spinning around in circles, and it is kind of tough."

Dizon no longer feels lost.

"I was freaked out last year," he said. "These new coaches, they invite you to be comfortable. They give you leeway and make you confident. The other thing is I have another year of experience."

Voice of reason

Coach Jim Schwartz doesn't mind running back Kevin Smith dreaming about the playoffs. But Schwartz won't look that far ahead.

Smith, a second-year man, said the Lions will follow last season's 0-16 record with a playoff run. That would mean the best turnaround in NFL history. Smith was not available for comment, but Schwartz was. He did not run from Smith's words, but he wanted to temper them.

"I don't want to discourage enthusiasm, but the playoffs are a long way away," Schwartz said. "What's more important is what happens today. How are we practicing today. Those are the things we need to take care of on a daily basis. We need to set goals on a truer scale today than further on down the road."

Fitting finish

Thursday's practice ended with a bang when backup quarterback Drew Stanton threw a touchdown pass to tight end Will Heller during a two-minute drill. Players jumped around and gave each other slaps on the back.

This is the way Schwartz wants to see players react.

"Football is a game that needs to be played with emotion," Schwartz said.

terry.foster@detnews.com (313) 222-1494
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon May 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Go Lions!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Monday, June 1, 2009
Lions sign Jansen, release Foster

Allen Park --Jon Jansen is in and George Foster is out. That became official Monday as the Lions went through another round of practices at their indoor facility.

Jansen passed his physical and a one-year deal was sent to NFL offices for approval. To make room on the roster, the Lions cut Foster who lost his starting job twice in two years at right tackle. The Lions used a first-round pick last season to select Boston College right tackle Gosder Cherilus.

For Jansen, who grew up in Clawson and played at the University of Michigan, it allows him to fullfill his dream to play for the Lions. He wanted the Lions to draft him in 1999. Instead, the Lions picked lineman Aaron Gibson with their last pick in the first round. Jansen was picked in the second round.

After being released on Thursday by Washington, Jansen told his agent that he wanted to come to Detroit.

"I would have loved to come here originally," Jansen said. "It would have been great for me. It did not work out at the time. I am glad I get an opportunity to play part of my career here."

Foster came here from Denver prior to the 2007 season along with running back Tatum Bell for defensive back Dre' Bly. Foster struggled with the offense and said he never got comfortable.

Jansen is viewed as a versatile lineman who will play right tackle and right guard. He could also play left tackle.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Lions ranked worst NFL franchise   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jun 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Friday, May 29, 2009
Lions ranked worst NFL franchise
The Detroit News

Adam Schein of Sirius NFL Radio and Fox Sports has ranked every NFL franchise according to a cumulative score from eight categories: owner, front office, head coach, coaching staff, quarterback, offense, defense and intangibles.

The Lions finished dead last.

The New England Patriots, with a score of 74.5, are No. 1, followed by Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, the Giants and Baltimore.

Organizations were ranked from 1 to 10, and the Lions' cumulative score was 27.

"I like Jim Schwartz and thought he put together a very strong coaching staff, led by Gunther Cunningham," writes Schein. "But it's tough to overcome a '1' for ownership and front office. There's a reason why the Lions are rebuilding since 1957."

The complete rankings:

1. New England Patriots, 74.5

2. Pittsburgh Steelers, 71.5

3. Philadelphia Eagles, 71

4. New York Giants, 69.5

5. Baltimore Ravens, 66.5

6. Atlanta Falcons, 62

7. Indianapolis Colts, 61.5

8. Green Bay Packers, 61

9. San Diego Chargers, 60.5

10. Tennessee Titans, 60

11. Arizona Cardinals, 59.5

12. Dallas Cowboys, 59

13. New York Jets, 58.5

14. Miami Dolphins, 58

15. Chicago Bears, 57.5

16. New Orleans Saints, 56.5

17. Carolina Panthers, 56

18. Minnesota Vikings, 54.5

19. Seattle Seahawks, 53.5

20. Kansas City Chiefs, 53

21. Houston Texans, 52

22. Buffalo Bills, 48

23. San Francisco 49ers, 46.5

24. Washington Redskins, 46

25. Cincinnati Bengals, 40

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 38

27. Jacksonville Jaguars, 37.5

28. St. Louis Rams, 36

29. Denver Broncos, 31

30. Oakland Raiders, 30.5

31. Cleveland Browns, 29

32. Detroit Lions, 27
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Jul 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Thursday, July 9, 2009
Lions release linebacker Alex Lewis
The Detroit News

The Lions have released veteran linebacker Alex Lewis.

Lewis, 28, played in 11 games last season with 15 tackles.

He was drafted in the fifth round (140th overall) in 2004 out of Wisconsin and spent five years with the Lions.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedThu Jul 09, 2009 10:15 pm

Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Lions' policy: best safety first

Allen Park -- Nowhere is the Lions' offseason roster overhaul more evident than in the secondary.

Gone are one-time starting cornerbacks Leigh Bodden, Brian Kelly and Travis Fisher. Gone, too, are safeties Dwight Smith and Gerald Alexander.

So you could hardly blame veteran safety Kalvin Pearson, one of the few remaining holdovers, for looking over his shoulder recently as the Lions wrapped up offseason workouts with a three-day minicamp. The new management team and coaching staff aren't interested in leftovers, nor were they impressed with much of what they saw from a defense that ranked last in the league in 2008.

"That's just part of the game," said Pearson, thrust into a starting role for 10 games last year because of injuries. "They're gonna look at last year's film and see where they need to improve, obviously. And I didn't really want that to stick in their heads. But to hear them say (there's no depth chart), for me, through (offseason workouts) and training camp, that means it's the best man for the job. I don't have to deal with draft picks, politics, any of that. Best man for the job -- that's what I want."

For now, that's what he's got, however tenuous the grasp.

With rookie Louis Delmas a solid bet to start at free safety -- coach Jim Schwartz actually uses a left-right designation rather than free and strong safety -- one of the key questions heading into training camp next month is who'll be the other starter.

At last week's minicamp, Pearson got most of the first-team reps alongside Delmas, with newly acquired Marquand Manuel, who started 14 games for Denver last season, joining Alexander in the second pairing. Daniel Bullocks, a former second-round pick entering his fourth NFL season, took most of his practice reps with LaMarcus Hicks as a third-teamer, though Schwartz, who also has Stuart Schweigert and Tra Battle on the offseason roster, cautioned the rotations don't mean much.

That's particularly true with Bullocks, who was a bystander in the Lions' first minicamp this spring. By his account, he wasn't 100 percent healthy last year, coming off a 2007 season lost to a major knee injury. And while he showed flashes of his draft-status potential last year -- most notably in the Oct. 12 loss at Minnesota -- his struggles with the Tampa Two scheme continued.

Now he'll have to fight to win back a job that was once his for the foreseeable future.

"You can't get caught up in that," Bullocks said. "The goal right now is just to get the new system down and then go out there and get better every day. The coaches make their decisions, but all I can control is how I play."

Pearson, at 5-foot-10 and 200 pounds, still seems best-suited for a backup role and as a special-teams ace. But he says he has heard that before.

"I've always been an underdog -- that don't faze me at all," he said. "I'm always climbing to the top. Even though I might be No. 1 now, I know what can happen. I've been behind somebody, and I know how to get there. To beat me, it's gonna be hard. I'm not gonna give it away. And hopefully they won't take it away. If they earn it, they earn it.

"That's what you want coming out of the offseason, coming to training camp. And if I'm No. 1, that's where I want to stay."
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedFri Aug 14, 2009 3:16 am

First preseason game this Saturday
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Aug 15, 2009 12:37 pm

GO LIONS!
Back to top Go down
jmccurry08
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 187
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : dontrelle willis
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Lions should start Culpepper for the first few games in the regular season, then start Stafford. I see the Lions winning 3-5 games this season
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSat Aug 15, 2009 1:33 pm

Yeah, I was thinking 4-12. Maybe 7-9 if they get real lucky.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Aug 16, 2009 2:52 am

Stanton should be the Starting Quarterback
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Aug 16, 2009 2:53 am

Lions will finish 8-8 this season
Back to top Go down
jmccurry08
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger

Male
Number of posts : 187
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : dontrelle willis
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Aug 16, 2009 9:23 am

Stafford did pretty good in his debut last night, Henson had a pretty good run to set up the winning kick. Lions could be around 8-8 this year
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009 Detroit Lions Thread   2009 Detroit Lions Thread - Page 3 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

2009 Detroit Lions Thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3