DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Fat Tuesday

Go down 
+2
gs78
bobrob2004
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 2:04 pm

I had my Pączki today. People in Hamtramck are crazy; standing in line at 11:00 last night to get one...
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 5:30 pm

They have them in Wyandotte too

I got a dozen this morning at a bakery on Oak Street

Dunkin Donuts has them too

I got another dozen on the way home from work

Nothing like wolfing down a whole bunch of them

And wash it down with a couple bottles of beer
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 5:31 pm

We have some blueberry ones, I thought they were gross LMAO
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 pm

SoulRat wrote:
We have some blueberry ones, I thought they were gross LMAO

I like the jelly and custard filled ones

Half are powder covered

Half are Glazed
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 7:23 pm

We have them here, I like the lemon filled ones. All they are is a higher fat content version of a regular filled donut.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 8:01 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
We have them here, I like the lemon filled ones. All they are is a higher fat content version of a regular filled donut.

They were all out of Lemon ones

Crying or Very sad

They only had Custard and Jelly

But it all good
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 10:49 pm

I've never heard of those things.

I take it today is Mardi Gras? That means Easter is what, 30 or 40 or 50 or something days away?

That means lent starts tomorrow then, too I think.

I don't really pay attention to how these things work though so I might be wrong. Too many dates to keep track of.

Last edited by catbox_9 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 10:52 pm

Quote :
Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash
Wednesday. It is also known as Mardi Gras Day or Shrove Day. It is a day
when people eat all they want of everything and anything they want as the
following day is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of a long fasting period for
Christians. In addition to fasting, Christians also give up something special
that they enjoy. So, Fat Tuesday is a celebration and the opportunity to
enjoy that favorite food or snack that you give up for the long Lenten season.

People who have nothing to do with the now "satanic" holiday of Mardi Gras, still celebrate Fat Tuesday, and Ash Wednesday, with its associated fasting.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Quote :
Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash
Wednesday. It is also known as Mardi Gras Day or Shrove Day. It is a day
when people eat all they want of everything and anything they want as the
following day is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of a long fasting period for
Christians. In addition to fasting, Christians also give up something special
that they enjoy. So, Fat Tuesday is a celebration and the opportunity to
enjoy that favorite food or snack that you give up for the long Lenten season.

We never had to give up anything for lent...not even when my mom used to make us go to church.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Quote :
We never had to give up anything for lent...not even when my mom used to make us go to church.

Many protestant churches do not participate in lent and the fasting. Which is sort of a shame.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedTue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Quote :

Many protestant churches do not participate in lent and the fasting. Which is sort of a shame.

This "church" (which had its "church" at a middle school cafeteria) claimed to be non-denominational and welcoming to all. I have trouble believing this as they preached Muslims, Jews, (I suppose Buddhists/Hindus) were all damned to hell and they were actually worse than ignorant people who didn't have a religion. From that it seemed like they preached rabbis were no better than Hitler.

They seemed like a tamer version of the Westboro Baptist "Church" if you ask me.

I realize religions are supposed to say their religion is best, but I don't think (I could be wrong) it says anywhere in the bible that non-Christians are evil. Sure, it probably says they picked the wrong religion and possibly says they're going to hell, but I don't think it makes a big deal about how evil they are. Again, I could be wrong as I won't pretend to have read the Bible. I do know that the Qur'an (the only Western religious text I have read large portions of) is somewhat favorable towards Jews and Christians as they are close to being Muslim. Good Christians and Jews, while inferior to Muslims, can still get to heaven (Jannah).

Quote :

"And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our God and your God is One, and unto Him we surrender." S. 29:46

"Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." S. 2:62

I guess I'm getting off-topic though Smack
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 am

I don't live in Louisiana, so I don't participate in Mardi Gras. Lent starts tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) and is 40 days long (46 including Sundays) and ends the day before Easter. During this time, you are to not snack between meals (really only 1 big meal/day) and not eat meat on Fridays and Ash Wednesday. You can eat anything on Sundays. Also, you should give up something in the act of penance.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 am

The only thing I don't like about Ash Wednesday is the hypocrisy. All the Bible readings in this service say do not put on an outward show...your Father in heaven sees what you do and reads your heart...do not be like the Pharisees...
and yet what is done? a big procession to get ashes. And in my husband's church, people skip work, come to church after the service is over to get a packet of ashes, and literally play hookey by not going to the service! They act as if the ashes are some sort of talisman, which they are not...
I'm just in the band. I pray with my music.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 11:49 am

I told you people in Hamtramck were weird...

The day before Lent keeps getting bigger and weirder
Supersized paczki inspire a barrel of fun in Hamtramck

"All the tourists come Hamtramck's way

And I add 10 pounds to what I weigh.

It was still about 45 minutes before noon Tuesday -- a workday -- when the jam-packed crowd standing on the main floor of the New Dodge Lounge in Hamtramck raised their drinks toward the stage.

The aroma of kielbasa and sauerkraut filled the air. The Polish Muslims sang their Hamtramck-influenced takeoff on the Beatles' "Yesterday," and the crowd joined loudly in the chorus:

"Oh, I believe in Paczki Day."

It was another Fat Tuesday with an atmosphere of Opening Day/St. Patrick's Day -- and the emphasis on fat -- along grid-locked Jos. Campau Avenue as partyers converged on the ancestral home of metro Detroit Poles for the Rust Belt Mardi Gras.

People lined up outside bakeries and Polish restaurants and crammed into bars.

It was all a tribute to paczki, the jelly-filled doughnuts with the powdered sugar on top that Poles have eaten for centuries, though it's uncertain if anyone in the old country ever thought of injecting them with vodka or Jagermeister, as Hamtramck bars do in the 21st Century.

At one paczek-eating contest, a contestant gobbled eight and then barfed. The winner inhaled 14 in 15 minutes. Yum.

Dean Denell, a 23-year-old member of the Headlights on the Hill rock band, lives in Clawson and took in his first Paczki Day in Hamtramck.

"It's amazing," he said. "It's like a community. It's a big family reunion."

As Denell talked, at about 3 p.m., a line nearby stretched around the corner from the front door of the New Palace Bakery. It had been that way since before dawn.

At 7 a.m., 64-year-old Connie Zwierzchowski of Hamtramck loaded 3 1/2 dozen paczki into her van. Paczki Day is evolving, she believes.

"It's changed," Zwierzchowski said. "More people are involved. It used to be just the bakeries. Now it's the bars and everything. But it's fun."

It's so fun, it's a wonder the local visitors' bureau doesn't see an opportunity here to promote a high-energy, midwinter festival.

Out-of-town visitors, for instance, would have seen the Motor City Rah-Rahs dancing down Faber Street toward the New Dodge. They're a troupe of athletic-looking women in skimpy black outfits who waved black and silver pom-poms.

"We are Detroit cheerleaders for anything that is Detroit," said one member, who identified herself as Vee.

They would have seen at Whiskey in the Jar a real, stuffed Hamtramck rat with implanted antlers that serves as the bar's mascot. They call it a Ratalope.

And they would have heard a member of the Polish Muslims shout to the crowd, "OO SA SA SA. OO SA SA SA."

And, perhaps mystified, they would have heard enthusiastic response to this local high school cheer: "HIT 'EM IN THE HEAD WITH A BIG KIELBASA!"
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Polish Muslims? didn't know they existed!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:
I don't live in Louisiana, so I don't participate in Mardi Gras. Lent starts tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) and is 40 days long (46 including Sundays) and ends the day before Easter. During this time, you are to not snack between meals (really only 1 big meal/day) and not eat meat on Fridays and Ash Wednesday. You can eat anything on Sundays. Also, you should give up something in the act of penance.

Me neither
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 11:24 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
The only thing I don't like about Ash Wednesday is the hypocrisy. All the Bible readings in this service say do not put on an outward show...your Father in heaven sees what you do and reads your heart...do not be like the Pharisees...
and yet what is done? a big procession to get ashes. And in my husband's church, people skip work, come to church after the service is over to get a packet of ashes, and literally play hookey by not going to the service! They act as if the ashes are some sort of talisman, which they are not...
I'm just in the band. I pray with my music.

I went to school today and I haven't applied any destroyed tree to myself today.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 11:28 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Polish Muslims? didn't know they existed!

There are about 5,100....or 0.013% of the population.

They make up 0.6% of the population of the United States which isn't very many since non-Christians make up just over 23.5% of the population.

To go with that last tidbit, while almost 76.5% of Americans identify themselves as Christians, only 73% say they believe in God. 58% say they are absolutely certain that there is a God.

Last edited by catbox_9 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 11:28 pm

Like I said, I'm just with the band.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedWed Feb 25, 2009 11:29 pm

wonder if they are first or second generation Polish?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 26, 2009 8:29 am

99.9% of the polish in this area are NON-Muslim. Most are catholic. But this area of the country is still non-Muslim, overall.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 26, 2009 8:07 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
99.9% of the polish in this area are NON-Muslim. Most are catholic. But this area of the country is still non-Muslim, overall.

Thank God for that!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Neutral
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 pm

gs78 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Thank God for that!

confused
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedFri Feb 27, 2009 5:24 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
gs78 wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Thank God for that!

confused

You guys all know how I feel about Muslims

Let's just leave it alone
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedFri Feb 27, 2009 5:24 pm

I don't feel like going on a tirade about them right now
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedFri Feb 27, 2009 6:49 pm

I guess I won't either then Frown

Suffice it to say Muslims, by definition, are not evil. Muslim terrorists, by definition, are. Non-Muslim terrorists, by definition, are evil.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 3:39 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
I guess I won't either then Frown

Suffice it to say Muslims, by definition, are not evil. Muslim terrorists, by definition, are. Non-Muslim terrorists, by definition, are evil.

Too Late!

I am already pissed about it not snowing again for the next two years and the Southeast and East Coast getting heavy snow while it cold and windy here

The day this nation becomes a Muslim Majority

is the day I leave or do this Suicide

Islam is the most backwards, intolerant asinine religion known to mankind

And people that believe in that garbage are a bunch of stupid ragheaded spudheads
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedSat Feb 28, 2009 3:40 pm

And Obama is one of them
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

Fat Tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fat Tuesday   Fat Tuesday Icon_minipostedSun Mar 01, 2009 12:30 pm